Anyone Roleplaying via Discord, Teamspeak or Skype

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere
Evilar

Anyone Roleplaying via Discord, Teamspeak or Skype

Unread post by Evilar »

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone is roleplaying via voice chat through Discord, Teamspeak or Skpe?

Would be interested in said group or starting a new group.

Thanks
K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Re: Anyone Roleplaying via Discord, Teamspeak or Skype

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

I'd honestly be surprised, an odd idea for me to RP via voice really. The writing actually helps with immersion I'd think.
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
Evilar

Unread post by Evilar »

K'yon Oblodra wrote:I'd honestly be surprised, an odd idea for me to RP via voice really. The writing actually helps with immersion I'd think.
I've role-played for years using voice chat and I don't think it non-immersive at all. Just the opposite, you don't have to type and can move while continuing the conversation. Like normal life.
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

You're welcome to it on Discord. The times I've dealt with voice RP, it always devolved into OOC banter.
Lighters

Unread post by Lighters »

What about everyone around you?

Seems like it would be annoying if I came across a band of folks using voice chat that for some mysterious reason my character couldnt hear. Sort of meta-gamey.

It would be akin to RPing through tells or party chat while around other people.
Evilar

Unread post by Evilar »

You guyz make good points about other not being able to be included in the role playing. Make sense all of your points, sadly enough. Just hoping...

Back to PnP and rollD20 :(
Darkwind

Unread post by Darkwind »

Evilar wrote:
K'yon Oblodra wrote:I'd honestly be surprised, an odd idea for me to RP via voice really. The writing actually helps with immersion I'd think.
I've role-played for years using voice chat and I don't think it non-immersive at all. Just the opposite, you don't have to type and can move while continuing the conversation. Like normal life.

+1 it is not 1999 anymore. RP via text should have died with NWN 1 and the MUD.

Tabletop PnP which birthed NWN was "via voice". And Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, etc. have carried the torch nicely.

However, in the case of NWN2 because it was born in that same bygone era it would be quite jarring if a group of people were standing around communicating telepathically while I heard nothing. If it was a server wide requirement I could get with it, but otherwise no.

But in a general sense text is "anti-RP" by and large in the same way email is dry and sterile compared to a face to face conversation. It conveys little emotion without the use of modifiers, etc.
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

you get xp by RP with Text
Sapper Woody
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Sapper Woody »

I do not RP with Skype when I have the option to RP in game. However, if the server goes down for a bit, I will switch to skype and create a new room specific to whatever I am RPing at the time. I don't do it over voice, as I find it harder to RP that way. In my particular case, I have some mental issues where I have to think about what I'm going to say, and using text allows my character to say what I mean easier.
Reineke Villame
Biography

Huego Bellecovum
Journal
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Lockonnow wrote:you get xp by RP with Text
That's another Lockonnow signature-worthy quote right there. Just magic. :lol:
Young Werther

Unread post by Young Werther »

You have to figure some people learn english through this game which is just awesome. I learn languages and other subjects much easier through texts than listening and I am increasingly becoming more deaf. Also I am a dude irl so when I play a female toon you want to hear me try to do those voices? Didn't think so :D. I'll also admit I am on a voice server with friends doing other things nearly every day. I can see things getting quite ridiculous if I tried to keep straight RP and probably would let expletives slip when being chased by monstars.

Lockonnow's statement, though, takes the cake.
Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
Egg Shen

Unread post by Egg Shen »

Yeah, I totally want to hear guys pretending to be elven women. Or women pretending to be dwarven men. Or bad actors trying to act.

Voice would absolutely ruin the game for me. Honestly, you guys have had good experiences with voice rp? I believe you if you say you have, I just have a terribly hard time picturing it.
Bad Omens

Unread post by Bad Omens »

I don't play enough to judge others, but I have always viewed voice setting as meta-gaming and OOC behavior. If PCs can coordinate across maps in real time, across maps and while that process is not a democratic one, where those lacking the hardware can not compete.......then it should be eliminated.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

Ok so yea.. dude playing chics so would not be very emersive for me to voice that. Also how am I supposed to speak that elvish? It's all il's v's and ae's. Would I need a video client to do drow sign?
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Vermilion
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Vermilion »

On the one hand, PNP is "voice RP" and that's the most classic form of D&D there is. Using the technology however, I prefer to type. I save my enormous voice-acting talents for my daughter's bedtimes these days. :)
Login: VermilionVirtue

Active
Llengar Hammerstock - A principled thug.
Elspeth Dharvoon - A reformed character? (Biography)

Return to “General Discussion”