Crafting

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

V'rass

Re: Crafting

Unread post by V'rass »

Not true at all. Infact if anything crafting makes a server better. Sorry but that's a fact. :ugeek:
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

also there use to be plenty of DM event based crafting but cries of favoritism ruins that even when a standard procedure -that anyone can make- to get the item by request is made but people still complain
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
TheKai
Recognized Donor

Unread post by TheKai »

I look forward to the day crafting guilds arise!
"Are you Thor? God of Hammers?"
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

V'rass wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 pm Not true at all. Infact if anything crafting makes a server better. Sorry but that's a fact. :ugeek:
No, it's an opinion.

Either way, the crafting we are looking at is mainly mundane, as I understand it. It's a flavour, not power creep.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Obahzk Elf-Skinner, Blackguard of Gruumsh and orcish war drummer

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
MadSeer

Unread post by MadSeer »

Deathgrowl wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 pm
V'rass wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 pm Not true at all. Infact if anything crafting makes a server better. Sorry but that's a fact. :ugeek:
No, it's an opinion.

Either way, the crafting we are looking at is mainly mundane, as I understand it. It's a flavour, not power creep.
:clap:
Flavour based crafting reinforces RP and still allows for crafting guilds, player economy and whatnot without the downside of power creep.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Here’s my 2 pennies: if you want Crafting to be awesome, it will be allowed/supported to ADD/SUBTRACT from Items found via the RIG.

Sooooooo maaaaaaaaannnnnyyyyyy ttttiiiimmmmeeeessss one finds an Item with something special but it also so severely lacks a basic attribute that every PC needs in order to “deal” with Content, as it has been designed.

For example, thousands of times one will find a weapon with 1d8 Massive Crits, but no EB or even AB. So unless you play a GMW casting toon, the weapon would be useless.

This is just one small example out of so many others I could make, but I’ll save you the Eye Burn.

Make it so Powers That Be!

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
lum

Unread post by lum »

I dont know if crafting leads to more mmo behaviour. I say it depends from person to person and what each desires.
What I do think is that if the crafting is too powerful, it may make certain classes or spells less needed, at least at certain levels. That is what I experienced on a place where you could put stuff on items that are normally cast by clerics or mages, but which then suddenly were also available to lets say a strong fighter.
Moire Rouge : 'Coins are flat, and are meant to be piled up.'
Juniper : 'Your local tinkerer!'
Kitty -Less hell, more cat-
Athyna of Apecoe -Titan in progress-
Erickar Avery -More than meets the eye-
& Soraya, Jyn R., Bash B., Lux, Rift, Jezebeth, Isabel C., Depheant M., Sona K.
JIŘÍ

Unread post by JIŘÍ »

Agog_Fr wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:05 am The huge problem with crafting, it's it tends to transform a RP server, into a MMO server.
I already feel like trapped on MMO server. Endless circling in areas designed to be walked in a circle because there is no other where to go. :hand:
Discord contact: Haf#6089
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Steve wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:07 pm Here’s my 2 pennies: if you want Crafting to be awesome, it will be allowed/supported to ADD/SUBTRACT from Items found via the RIG.

Sooooooo maaaaaaaaannnnnyyyyyy ttttiiiimmmmeeeessss one finds an Item with something special but it also so severely lacks a basic attribute that every PC needs in order to “deal” with Content, as it has been designed.

For example, thousands of times one will find a weapon with 1d8 Massive Crits, but no EB or even AB. So unless you play a GMW casting toon, the weapon would be useless.

This is just one small example out of so many others I could make, but I’ll save you the Eye Burn.

Make it so Powers That Be!
That's it :clap:
deserk

Unread post by deserk »

Would love to see crafting here. And rather than detract from RP, I think it would boost it immensely as well as immersion, as people would be engaging in entirely natural behaviour within a medieval setting, i.e. characters actually trying to make a living by other means than simply adventuring or sitting around in a campfire all day. Characters could also be specialized in specific fields, and find a new and unique purpose. And going to specific places for resource gathering would be really fun, rather than just for the "oh I have that quest everybody else has".
K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

Blackman D wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:18 pm also there use to be plenty of DM event based crafting but cries of favoritism ruins that even when a standard procedure -that anyone can make- to get the item by request is made but people still complain
This is kinda side tracking but I remember the event chain fondly where K'yon got to forge his sword Jealous Edge and sadly I also remember a lot of trouble around favouritism cry outs.

I can only say that I really liked the DM giving away cool stuff after an event chain and to be clear the item is far from powerful being a +1 ab and a small acid damage bonus.

I would enjoy crafting if it were more of an ecstatically oriented thing rather than actual power being gained.
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
lum

Unread post by lum »

Heya,

Is there any update on this? Something like, yes or no to extra (future) crafting options on BG, and, yes or no it will be for this year (or 'soon')?

-Lum
Moire Rouge : 'Coins are flat, and are meant to be piled up.'
Juniper : 'Your local tinkerer!'
Kitty -Less hell, more cat-
Athyna of Apecoe -Titan in progress-
Erickar Avery -More than meets the eye-
& Soraya, Jyn R., Bash B., Lux, Rift, Jezebeth, Isabel C., Depheant M., Sona K.
Gorirah

Unread post by Gorirah »

I'm don't really understand how all craft systems are a bane of roleplay. The one's I've experienced in nwn2 have been many and varied, some not so good, some outstanding, but never so bad that they left me with scars and wanting to banish them all.

A craft system can add balance to the avaialable equipment, complimenting the random items and an enchanting system. It can certainly add to roleplay too, allowing non-combat characters to thrive, cooperative crafting, new guilds and a range of professions.
True, the players who preferred to grind for a lot of gold can grind out bottles or helmets instead, but it's just a personal choice and if I play a miner there maybe a lot of holes to dig. Furthermore, if a carpenter makes a fancy new bow out of a novel wood then credit to their invention, but it can be open to others of equally sufficient skill.
Calodan

Unread post by Calodan »

lum wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:13 am Heya,

Is there any update on this? Something like, yes or no to extra (future) crafting options on BG, and, yes or no it will be for this year (or 'soon')?

-Lum
I am a bit jaded on this. The server has been saying for a decade they have something in the works and nothing......Not like this is/was/should be a hard thing. However interest in finishing the thing is not there from the main Devs who could get it done.

While I understand that the admin doesn't want to make Devs work on things they don't want to. At what point are we going to get a foot put down and say no more of your stuff will go in until this gets done?

I am pretty sure over half this server wants a true crafting system in and to be ignored in this is quite a snub in my opinion to players and what they want to enjoy their time here.
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Originally, our plan was just to turn one of the vanilla crafting systems on if we were not able to put anything together by the end of the year. But that's just crafting for its own sake at that point, since it doesn't give you the RP of gathering materials and making mundane items. Plus, since we're changing admins, we probably won't promise that, since that'll be their call.

Even that would require a lot of work, too.

We have one dev looking at and working on a crafting system, but they're juggling it with a lot of other projects and real life right now, so I don't expect anything this month in any case.

Return to “General Discussion”