Doodles and Things

Community Screenshots, Artwork, and Talent on Display

Moderators: Moderator, DM

wangxiuming

Re: Doodles and Things

Unread post by wangxiuming » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks for the kind words everybody. It means a lot! As for printing, I'll definitely look into it once I get closer to finishing all these arcana. And I had no idea a deck of many things even existed =[. Will have to look into that as well! But I have to say, what I love about the tarot cards is the symbolism that comes attached.

Anyway, here's the latest card: Suul, as the Wheel of Fortune!

This was a challenging card for me (who am I kidding, they were all challenging D=), in no small part because it features a character played by an artist that that was my original OG art mentor: Nyssis! Without her encouragement and guidance, I would not be where I am today in terms of my art. And, it was in fact her utterly stunning tarot cards (there's a couple in this thread, and one here) that actually inspired me to attempt them myself.

It took some time and consideration to decide on what arcana I thought Suul would best embody. After discussing with Nyssis about the latest developments in Suul's life, I thought the Wheel of Fortune major arcana would be suitable.

https://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-m ... f-fortune/

Simplistically, the Wheel of Fortune represents karma, life cycles, and a turning point in one's life, among other things. I thought these were particularly appropriate for Suul based on the character growth and development she's experienced in her recent time on BG. Suul was once a bandit who stole and killed out of necessity, but also felt no remorse for her actions. In her time on BG, however, she's gained new perspectives that now cause her to feel guilt for her prior crimes. This seemed like a big turning point for her that I thought I would try to capture.

In my card, I have the actual Wheel part of the Wheel of Fortune represented by a circular mirror. Around the mirror are stone carvings that depict various events from Suul's past. Inside, we see Suul aiming an arrow at her reflection - a symbol of the guilt she now feels for past misdeeds. It also embodies the karmic meaning of the card - where once she aimed her arrows at innocent merchants and travelers, now she's aiming at herself.

Random notes:
- Out of all the cards I've done so far, this probably is the one that differs from the original Rider-Waite tarot card the most.
- The original card features lots of different creatures, including an angel, an eagle, a bull, and a lion. I continue my trend of excluding these elements for uh ... stylistic reasons (or possibly laziness :shifty: ).
- Kudos to you if you can name the events in Suul's past depicted by the stone carvings.
Last edited by wangxiuming on Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VDub

Unread post by VDub » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:51 am

Amazing. Truly talented. The card has depth. Aiming at herself in the mirror is perfection.
Tholgur Steelsworn- "Ye want me'ta put a few bolts in 'im?"
Merissa Alanadel ~ Oblivious elf
Teeka Skreel ~ Bashful Brimstone
Solomon, Luckbringer of Tymora ~ A copper to the Lady, returns tenfold in gold!!
Elvish vowels = A E I O U and every single time Y.

Nyssis

Unread post by Nyssis » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 am

Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart, wangxiuming. Words can't begin to describe how much your work is my guiding force to become a better artist and attempt new techniques, and I feed off the creative energy in your pieces. You're a huge inspiration!

I look forward to seeing more in the near-future and beyond. Now, time to sit down and dust off my tablet too. :)
Once-strong and proud strangeling, now broken upon realization's back!
-----------------------------------[Biography] [History] [Imagination]

Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:22 am

I love this so much. Is amazing and exactly how I pictured her. Great choice of card too.
Nathan Goldenmane - Knife Fighter of Sune

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
Guard and Performer, The Siren's Song

Arn

Unread post by Arn » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:44 am

People like you are why I gave up on being a professional artist. :lol:
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.145))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

Ghātikā

Crafters: Wands, alchemy, scrolls
Wendi - Haggling wizard. [Bio]
Meredith Olma - Druid
Jehane - Cleric
Monad - Ranger

wangxiuming

Unread post by wangxiuming » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Thank you all so much! Your kind words really provide a lot of encouragement and creativity fuel.

@Nyssis, it's super gratifying to know that someone who has been such a source of inspiration to me is being invigorated by my stuff in turn. <3 <3!

@Arn, I know how you feel! But keep in mind, just a few years ago, i was drawing atrocities like the below and thinking they were the ish. :oops:
Hidden: show

One thing I've definitely learned is that if you stick with something, you'll get better at it!

OutsideVoice

Unread post by OutsideVoice » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:52 pm

This is so incredibly good!! Never stop artsing! Your work is so freaking fantastic. <3
A M A R A N T H E
❈ The streamlet’s gentle side it seeks, the silent fount, the shaded grot;
And sweetly to the heart it speaks: forget-me-not, forget-me-not.

Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:52 am

I still linger only for this subforum 8-)
Formerly the player of:

Mae yr Machshikhah - Pryat of Helm [Bio] [Retired]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Retired]
Araphella - Whispers of Oblivion [Bio] [Retired]
Aeili Azenci - Baelnorn of Mystra [Bio] [Deceased]

Off exploring the Electric Universe.

wangxiuming

Unread post by wangxiuming » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Happy to see you're still forum-lurking Tsid :)

New card: Amaranthe, as the Empress

https://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-m ... a/empress/

The Empress represents femininity, beauty, nurture, and nature (among other things) in its upright position. To me, there's no better representation of these qualities than Amaranthe!

In the original Rider-Waite card, the Empress rests on luxurious cushions in a field of wheat, backed by a flowing river and a verdant forest. In my version, I decided to have Amaranthe resting luxuriously on a field of grass - as a true embodiment of nature, the flora around her is luxury enough ;) ! The flow of her cloak on the ground recalls the river and the cast shadow from the canopy above recalls the forest.

While many of the cards I've done have been appropriate for a specific time or event in the portrayed character's history (e.g., Wren and the Tower, Mae & Death, Osric & the Hermit), this card is one that I feel is representative of the character's being.

Random Notes
- Quickest turnaround on a tarot card yet! I was fortunate to find a reference whose pose I felt could carry the composition.
- Also the first card I've done from start to finish on my new Wacom Cintiq 16! I love it! (Side note, Suul was done mostly on the Cintiq 16, but I started the lineart on my old tablet).
- I used Angevere's amazing portrait of Amaranthe as a reference for her outfit.
- The accessories she wears are taken from OutsideVoice's beautiful biography.
- I think this might be the first card I've done that heavily features green in the color scheme. Ironically, even the World Arcana I did does not have that much green in it.

ZStreeter
Recognized Donor

Unread post by ZStreeter » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Beautiful stuff!
no

OutsideVoice

Unread post by OutsideVoice » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:57 pm

I'm beyond honored for Ama to be included in your work, wangxiuming. This was far from expected and a thoroughly wonderful surprise to me!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for this beautiful depiction of muh druidess. I'm positively giddy over it, friend. It's such a perfect fit for her! 😍
A M A R A N T H E
❈ The streamlet’s gentle side it seeks, the silent fount, the shaded grot;
And sweetly to the heart it speaks: forget-me-not, forget-me-not.

Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 pm

Whenever I see new posts in here I get so excited. The tiny time between clicking and loading is like unwrapping a present. This is awesome.
Nathan Goldenmane - Knife Fighter of Sune

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
Guard and Performer, The Siren's Song

Arn

Unread post by Arn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:40 pm

I am running out of ways to express how impressed I am with your art, so pls stahp. :(

I mean, look at that HAND. Pls stahp. :cry:
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.145))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

Ghātikā

Crafters: Wands, alchemy, scrolls
Wendi - Haggling wizard. [Bio]
Meredith Olma - Druid
Jehane - Cleric
Monad - Ranger

Fury_US
Custom Content

Unread post by Fury_US » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:47 pm

That one fell together really quick- and came out so gorgeous!
Wren Di'Corvi- Retired
"A bit ex-Zhentric" -Winterborne

wangxiuming

Unread post by wangxiuming » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm

My contribution to the Men of BGTSCC Calendar? O=) Doodled this while being stuck on a tarot card. I realized I hadn't done any art of Osric this year yet, so here's my annual obligatory Osric, who's daydreaming or something.

Another completed tarot card is on its way!