BGTSCC - Discord

Moderator: Moderator

Aspect of Sorrow

BGTSCC - Discord

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Discord, a web, mobile, and app (with in game overlay) application using the opus codec for VoIP if desired in lieu is a fairly light weight and extensible communication system.
Features
Download

I've set up a BGTSCC "server" and channel which has a bridging bot that also communicates back and forth with users in the IRC. In essence, it's a rolled up Steam, Skype, Teamspeak, IRC client in one, for free.

Join BGTSCC Discord "Server"

I'll extend the bot to announce up/down gameserver states queried at 5 second intervals when a change is determined or the server returns and the password is released post module load.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Re: BGTSCC - Discord

Unread post by chad878262 »

Followed the link, but only seems to have options to add friends, can't figure out how to join the bgtscc server...

Thanks by the way! Cool app
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Pimple
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Pimple »

chad878262 wrote:Followed the link, but only seems to have options to add friends, can't figure out how to join the bgtscc server...
If the link doesn't give you anything, you can also just copy it..

Code: Select all

https://discord.gg/Uy8Ree8
Click the (+) icon in the bar on the left of the client window, choose to join a server and paste the URL. Think that should get you in too.
"Your compassion is commendable, Dreadmarshall." -- Sirion Te'dwa, 1359 DR

Sirion Te'dwa - Shop
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Maybe it's a mobile phone app issue... The app only has options to find friends, not groups (or I am blind/stupid and just missing where to do so, which is entirely possible). When I type the direct address in my browser on my cell it takes me to a page that indicates I need to either download or open the app, but again, nowhere in the app can I put in the Uy8Ree8 other than to search for 'friends' which just returns a message that it's an invalid user name/e-mail.

edit: yep, works fine on my laptop, but doesn't work on the app I installed on my Note 4...

edit 2: for those interested, if you install on your laptop/computer and enter BGtSCC then next time you go through the app on your mobile phone there will be an option in the menu to enter the BGtSCC room. Really cool AoS!
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

This is creating a bit of confusion on the IRC channel, as we can't now see who is actually online. It's also a bit hard to read with everyone's nick basically being <bg_ircbridge> looking like they're copying what someone else said. A shorter name for the bot may have helped, but that wouldn't fix the channel list.

Out of genuine curiosity, though: What is superior about discord over IRC clients? You can get IRC clients for web, mobile phones as well
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Obahzk Elf-Skinner, Blackguard of Gruumsh and orcish war drummer

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Furthermore, it causes an issue when banned people return to the IRC through using discord. As IRC operators, we're basically powerless to moderate the users of discord and will either have to let those banned people back in to the IRC or just mute the whole irc bridge bot.
Nëa the Little Shadow

Free music:
Aspect of Sorrow

Deathgrowl wrote:This is creating a bit of confusion on the IRC channel, as we can't now see who is actually online. It's also a bit hard to read with everyone's nick basically being <bg_ircbridge> looking like they're copying what someone else said. A shorter name for the bot may have helped, but that wouldn't fix the channel list.
I've shortened the bridge name to a few characters. I can extend the bot to allow an opt-in feature to privately message the online/offline states of the Discord users so that it does not spam the main #BGTSCC channel, as well as a easy query message to determine the userlist on Discord from IRC.
Deathgrowl wrote:Out of genuine curiosity, though: What is superior about discord over IRC clients? You can get IRC clients for web, mobile phones as well
The upgraded Skype codec (Opus) for group adventuring voip (where others are using skype presently), multi channel functions of chat and voip for the users in lieu, being able to use it akin to Steam inside either NWN, or even other games that're running (no need of alt tabbing), and a variety of other beneficial features. No harm in trying it out if you're interested. It keeps the benefit of IRC, but adds on a plethora of other features in lieu that the IRC clients aren't performing. Can even work something in between the game server and it.

Deathgrowl wrote:Furthermore, it causes an issue when banned people return to the IRC through using discord. As IRC operators, we're basically powerless to moderate the users of discord and will either have to let those banned people back in to the IRC or just mute the whole irc bridge bot.
As seen with one individual, but was taken care of with two clicks of a mouse. The operator status of those in IRC are easily movable over to the Discord side, if you wish. The effort here is inclusiveness.

My thought is to add in some extra supporting features, while not introducing yet another program, if I can mod one that players may already have / use, and can use for other purposes outside of BG.
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

Dischord also only works with a few browsers. Personally I prefer Teamspeak, curse, ventrillo, cellphones, land line, soup cans on a string, dischord, yelling loudly, silence, anything else, and finally Skype. In that order.
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
LISA100595
Retired Staff

Unread post by LISA100595 »

AlwaysSummer Day wrote:Dischord also only works with a few browsers. Personally I prefer Teamspeak, curse, ventrillo, cellphones, land line, soup cans on a string, dischord, yelling loudly, silence, anything else, and finally Skype. In that order.
LOL!
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
Aspect of Sorrow

* Updated the Discord side with a bot that queries the game server and updates it's nickname with the playercount. It also informs the channel of monitored server down / up state.

* Added a wireframe for supporting an upcoming nwnx addon with the game server.

AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

Well at least it is better than Skype. I'll try to join y'all after work so we can talk about D&d and star trek and math and stuff. :D
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

IRC > Discord.
Nëa the Little Shadow

Free music:
Aspect of Sorrow

AlwaysSummer Day wrote:Dischord also only works with a few browsers.
Platform: Windows 7+ OSX 10.10+ (Yosemite)
Mobile: iOS 7.1+ Android 4.1 (Jellybean)
Browser: Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera
Source: Official Platform Support FAQ

The Opus codec in TS is the same one used by default in Discord, though at present voice isn't being used by the community, but it's there if they want it without something extra.
Hidden: show
Next bit of tinkering of mine should allow the shout channel to be broadcasted into Discord for those interested in IG DM announcements, and DM ability to 'pin' announcements to the channel for those who're looking for a quick insight to something upcoming such as the Twilight Rose, or Terri's court battle at the Gate. 8-)
Pimple
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Pimple »

Discord > IRC so much. But I guess stagnation is comfortable.
"Your compassion is commendable, Dreadmarshall." -- Sirion Te'dwa, 1359 DR

Sirion Te'dwa - Shop
Flasmix
Associate DM

Unread post by Flasmix »

IRC is garbage compared to Discord.
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."

Return to “Archive”