Server finances

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

ShineDown

Server finances

Unread post by ShineDown »

I'm unsure what you are paying for services. If you can give a breakdown of cost that would greatly help as $230 (presumably American) seems excessively high cost. High graphics servers with 50 player slots can be rented for under a dollar a day, specifically 38 a month with a 20% discount for signing on for a year. It works out to $364.80(plus tax). I know the limitations of the game, aurora garbage engine etc not being optimized but what are the specific requirements necessary? I would like to know so I can just understand what the restrictions are that brings the cost up higher than a high end graphics game by 600%.

https://imgur.com/a/P2W1f3k
Zanniej
Barn manager

Re: Server finances

Unread post by Zanniej »

I figured I'd move this post to an open discussion, as it is a good question. The breakdown of costs is in the server treasury topic. Our forum hosting is about 85 dollars a month. Cheaper hosting can't handle the size and use our forum has, unfortunately.

The game server accounts for a little under $150 a month. I will preface this with that I am not by any means claiming that we have the best solution, or that I am the most knowledgeable in the topic.

I've looked at the provider you've linked. They provide cloud servers for very specific games. Those games are generally easier to run, as well as being run on cloud infrastructure. That means that they require less resources, and cloud hosting can often be cheaper, since you can easier run more servers on the same cloud server, hence divided costs. I was unable to see how many people such a server could host, and how pricing scales, since they do not seem to offer NWN2 hosting.

That is also part of the issue. I've yet to find a way to host an NWN server on anything else than a windows server. Windows servers unfortunately are more pricey, since you have to buy or rent a license as well, and you need to rent something that can run the entire windows OS, instead of just the game server software.

As far as I know, the biggest issue is the older software, which means it just can't easily make use of newer (and cheaper/stronger) technologies to host a game server. I've tried, but have been unsuccesfull so far.

But, if people smarter than me have a better solution, then we're of course all ears! :)
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Has Staff asked around with other NWN2 Servers as to where/what they are using/paying?

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
ShineDown

Unread post by ShineDown »

Zanniej wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:26 pm
I've looked at the provider you've linked. They provide cloud servers for very specific games.
They are very specific and honestly I used it to get some sort of basis down for what servers cost for games these days as I have limited knowledge as well in dealing with server rentals. Steve brings up a very relevant point. What other servers might be using could be a big difference. This may not help much but if you would like I could try contacting Gportal and asking if they would host the game OR who they might suggest could and look at costs from there.

Return to “Community”