Karond's Item Guide (Or, Did I find something good???)

Gameplay Mechanics Explained and Helpful Advice on Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderator

Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff

Re: Karond's Item Guide (Or, Did I find something good???)

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

Don't forget that items with bonuses against Evil (AC, AB, EB, Bonus Damage, Saving Throws) are very useful on the server as most hostiles are evil.

Also, bonus Acid damage looks like the most useful one on the whole server.

Most Epic Folks are resistant or immune to fire.
Foofad

Unread post by Foofad »

Are unequippable misc items with -%ASF worth anything? Do they work by just being in your inventory?
Foofad's Weapon Damage Calculator can be found in Tips & Tricks
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Foofad wrote:Are unequippable misc items with -%ASF worth anything? Do they work by just being in your inventory?
They shouldnt work.. so not really.
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Lascivar

Unread post by Lascivar »

Ithilan wrote:
Foofad wrote:Are unequippable misc items with -%ASF worth anything? Do they work by just being in your inventory?
That part I'm not so sure about.

I -have- seen unequippable items give bonuses just for being in your inventory. A simple example is "The Uninvited Guests" test module that you should have with your game, when you complete it you're given a bottle of mead, unequippable, that has +2 concentration on it. The item merely sits in your inventory but it does indeed give you the +2 concentration.

Items with -ASF% and other stackable stats should be held in high regard as they -do- work.
Lascivar Di'Veldran
"Fear is as strong as steel, while love and respect are soft, useless feelings that none can lean on." - Excerpt of Lolth's Dogma
Karond

Unread post by Karond »

You'll simply have to test it. Equip some light armor, have this item in your inventory, and go crazy casting a few spells. If it works, it is indeed a very good item. Otherwise it is useless.
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Lascivar wrote:
Ithilan wrote:
That part I'm not so sure about.

I -have- seen unequippable items give bonuses just for being in your inventory. A simple example is "The Uninvited Guests" test module that you should have with your game, when you complete it you're given a bottle of mead, unequippable, that has +2 concentration on it. The item merely sits in your inventory but it does indeed give you the +2 concentration.

Items with -ASF% and other stackable stats should be held in high regard as they -do- work.
Last time I found one of these items I did a thorough test of it and it didnt apply any less ASF than previously, not statisticly through casting and not in the character sheet, I do belive this doesnt work, even if passive skills and what not do.

But I wouldnt claim to be 100% certain. Previously it havent worked however.
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Stonebar
Retired Staff

Unread post by Stonebar »

To easy my mind your saying Luna fixed all DR items?
As unless changed by this server Dr X/- vs Slashing, Blunt, or Piercing damage is broken. It will show up on your combat log, but does not actually reduce the damage.

Thanks for posting this Karond it's a great list.
Revenark Stonehold Kingswarden of Stonebar. Despite the weight of his vows he will never allow himself to fail his responsibility to family regardless of personal cost[/strike]

Forum name honors the Stonebar alliance. I'm not Stonebar
sobebop

Unread post by sobebop »

are % immunities ranked here? i may have missed them, but did not see.
for example bracers with 10% fire immunity, what would this be worth? i see the below two sections, but neither one hits the nail right on the head regarding % immunity items. Thank you!
Spell Immunities

Worth nothing or alot depending on the spell. Slot is also a good measurement, you want the item to be easily switched, so armors are not good unless they're cloths, fullplates, breastplates, chainshirts or light armors, in that order.

Forum: All items and shields, or the above armors with immunities to harm, bigby spells, Isaac Greater Missiles, Energy Drain, storm of vengeance , wail of the banshee and implosion.

Auctioneer: Item slots, cloths and shields with immunities to spells commonly cast in certain areas, might be worth the minimum worth of this category, 5k. For people grinding Lizardmen for example, immunities to the spell Fire Storm or Inferno, can be decent for people that take damage from them.

Maltz: EVERY other immunity.
Spell Resistance:

Spell Resistance needs to be high enough to be worthwhile of the cost. The higher likelihood that a character will wear an item as they approach higher levels, the more valuable it is. As such, Spell resistance items needs to have a high amount to be worth anything at all, which is typically 20+. Since Spell Resistance is a property you would want constantly, as few areas here are without casters, the item also needs to be on an item slot considered worthwhile. Often used armors can be that, but more often Rings, Belts, Helmets, Bracers, Cloaks and Amulets are more useful, in that specific order of priority. Nevertheless, Spell Resistance items are only really useful for low saves characters, when it comes to PvM grinding.

Forum: Spell Resistance items of 26+, particularly Rings, Belts, Helmets, Bracers, Cloaks, Amulets, Cloths, Fullplates, Breastplates and Chain shirts.

Auctioneer: Spell resistance items of 26+ that are boots, Heavy and Tower Shields, light and medium armors. Spell resistance 20+ on belts, rings, helmets, bracers, cloaks, amulets, cloths, fullplates, breastplates and chain shirts. Items like these are best used in the level range 10-20.

Maltz: All heavy armors that are not fullplates with SR 26+. Boots or shields of 20 SR. All other items with SR lower than 20.
Azmodeth wrote:we have insane amounts of dm love
Gustov Windsong - Known windsoul master crossbow sniper, and wizard of some power - Bio
Karond

Unread post by Karond »

sobebop wrote:are % immunities ranked here? i may have missed them, but did not see.
for example bracers with 10% fire immunity, what would this be worth? i see the below two sections, but neither one hits the nail right on the head regarding % immunity items. Thank you!
Oh, this was a nice thread. Sad it didn't get stickied. Anyway, the response you sought are in this part below. Basically, it says that partial immunity items are useless unless they go to 30% or more. However, partial immunities can add value if they're placed on an already valuable item, but on their own they are not worth anything.
Karond wrote: Resist/DR items:

These items have either a resistance/immunity to a certain element (like fire etc.), or Damage reduction which is overcome by something (like 3/bludgeoning). Adamantine armors and shields are found under the Material category. Resistance items are generally better than partial immunities, since they stop damage completely at low damage marks, which are the ones you're likely to face. But resistance stack with immunity, so immunities are not useless. Immunities are also better when faced with high amount of damage. When it comes to resistance type, fire and acid reigns supreme. Electical and cold is useful but often not good enough, while sonic is actually better as a immunity than as a resist (against PvP bards). With DR, the priority order is piercing, bludg and last slashing, as this is the likelihood of an enemy carrying a weapon of that type (slashing most common, piercing least common). Reduction/magic is also cool, for PvM. Few items with these qualities are worth much on their own, but when combined with other desired qualities can really make an item powerful.

Forum: All item slots, all armors and shields with Magic resist 5+/-. All item slots, heavy and tower shields, fullplates, light armors, breastplates and chain shirts with Divine resist 5+/-. Helmets, rings, cloaks, bracers, amulets, belts with more than 30% immunity against fire or acid.

Auctioneer: All other item slots, fullplates, light armors, cloth, breastplates and chain shirts with 5/- to any element, and coupled with other abilities of the Auctioneer status. Helmets, cloaks, rings, Belts and bracers of 10/- to fire, acid or cold.

Maltz: All items with 5/- to any element, and no other bonuses besides those of Maltz status.
sobebop

Unread post by sobebop »

thanks again Karond! :mrgreen:
Gustov Windsong - Known windsoul master crossbow sniper, and wizard of some power - Bio
AlfarinIcebreaker

Unread post by AlfarinIcebreaker »

This needs to be stickied.
breteas

Unread post by breteas »

Agreed.

*Pm's luna*
Karond

Unread post by Karond »

breteas wrote:Agreed.

*Pm's luna*
If it gets stickied, I can tune up its value to the players by adding a reference list for the most common items in the realms.
sobebop

Unread post by sobebop »

can we get this stickied, please? :idea: maybe even put a note on the ingame auctioneer to refer to this thread in the forums...
Nomster

Unread post by Nomster »

Its a good list, one I had bookmarked! Great for the newcomer. I don't think I saw anything on energy immunities/resistances?
"I don't want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."

Telia Santraeger - Emotional sorceress & priestess of Mystra. [Retired]

Return to “Gameplay Guides”