The Parry Feat - how does it work?

Gameplay Mechanics Explained and Helpful Advice on Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderator

Hoihe

The Parry Feat - how does it work?

Unread post by Hoihe »

So, since 2020 June at least - a feat appeared in my character sheet known simply as "Parry."

This feat has the same description as the parry skill, word for word. No special details, no explanation.

I decided to randomly drag it onto my hotbar way back and discovered it's something you activate!

As seen, it makes everyone around me roll DC 40 reflex save, then announces I parried their attacks if failed.

I currently lack screenshots of use in combat, but I have actually seen it modify attacks to parried.

It also has a colossal AOE range:

Mielliki is still hit.
Now.

Issues:

I've no idea where I got it from.

I've no idea how the DC is calculated.

I've no idea how it affects incoming attacks, only that some get parried.

Does anyone have any idea where did this feat is supposed to do?

My DC is 40 with 30 ranks of parry, 8 levels of duelist, 26 BAB and 14 levels of swashbuckler. Also got 7 dex mod and 8 int mod.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
MrSmith
Recognized Donor

Re: The Parry Feat - how does it work?

Unread post by MrSmith »

Just a guess... citing the wiki ----->

Elaborate Parry
At 7th level, the duelist masters the art of defense with his blade. The duelist adds his class level to Parry checks.

The character also receives +1 bonus to AC for every six ranks in the parry skill (maximum +5 Deflection at 30 base Parry skill points). This is a deflection bonus to AC, it doesn't stack with any other source of deflection AC.
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

MrSmith wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:41 pm Just a guess... citing the wiki ----->

Elaborate Parry
At 7th level, the duelist masters the art of defense with his blade. The duelist adds his class level to Parry checks.

The character also receives +1 bonus to AC for every six ranks in the parry skill (maximum +5 Deflection at 30 base Parry skill points). This is a deflection bonus to AC, it doesn't stack with any other source of deflection AC.
That is a separate feat, which is a passive bonus.

Update:

You can parry yourself with this feat if you use it while moving and attacking after.

Coincidentally, sometimes it doesn't make the enemy you're fighting roll...

So you parry yourself, but not them.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Dread Omega

Unread post by Dread Omega »

Could the reflex save come from the starter room to make it difficult for people to have battles there or have you seen that outside of that map?
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Dread Omega wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:05 pm Could the reflex save come from the starter room to make it difficult for people to have battles there or have you seen that outside of that map?
Works everywhere.

Just sometimes doesnt trigger for your opponent or yourself. is weird.
Dread Omega

It seems like your character has an area of affect (aoe) ability or spell running that causes them to attack your character due to the hostile action. Thus the aoe reflex save and then the parry for their retaliatory attack.

Did you have any active spells or abilities running at the time?
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Dread Omega wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:50 am It seems like your character has an area of affect (aoe) ability or spell running that causes them to attack your character due to the hostile action. Thus the aoe reflex save and then the parry for their retaliatory attack.

Did you have any active spells or abilities running at the time?
I literally press the Parry Feat, which causes an AoE reflex save against DC 40 in colossal range around me. They don't need to be hostile, can even be my party members.

If I use it in a party, I can end up parrying all my teammates' attacks by using this, while they're attacking an enemy.

Coincidentally, I can also parry my own attack directed at my enemy.
Dread Omega

Sounds like a good way to detect invisible :D

I have a recent character and that does not happen. Maybe it is possible you got that while the devs were testing a parry mod?

Seems to me it's a pretty cool and unique feat for your character.
Whirlwind

Unread post by Whirlwind »

I recently rcr'd my character, Malakai from scratch and received this feat - so it doesn't seem like it's a legacy thing.

I'd also love to know how this properly works - if it fixes parry and lets me parry all attacks then it sounds great.

But yeah, seems like it could be exploited to reveal characters in stealth (or invisible) your own character might not otherwise be able to see.

That and being able to work out other characters reflex saving throws too.
~ Malakai Stormwind - Blade of the Winds ~
Androoh | GMT +0 | Retired
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

As i was told, it's unfinished old project that was meant to replace parry completely. This feat will get removed in next update since it doesn't work as intended and it's original author is not here anymore.

Return to “Gameplay Guides”