The Ties that Bind

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Anrilor
Retired Staff

The Ties that Bind

Unread post by Anrilor »

The Heartwarder idly scribes in her prayer book. Thoughts and litanies abound.
What is Love?

When asking that question most instantly think of romance, star crossed lovers, and the whirlwind of joy and anxiety that comes with being both devoted and vulnerable. This is but only one aspect of Love, it encompasses many emotions, it colors many types of relationships, and inspires many actions. It is a powerful tie that binds two people together, a group as a family, inspiring protection, worry, caring, and compassion. It can inspire both peace and war. It can move mountains and inspire those to great feats beyond what those though previously possible.

It is a great gift that is given by the Princess of Passion, one that requires dedication and stewardship to maintain. One that requires eternal gratitude and thanks for being gifted with such strength, compassion, and joy. I can only hope I am a worthy steward of her gifts and can help provide, inspire, and see to the hearts of the people of the Gate and to this part of the Sword Coast.

There are those, however, that see love as a weakness, something to exploit in others, to manipulate those to do your bidding. It makes you vulnerable, exposes you, and can for you to do things you wouldn't otherwise do. They must not be allowed to do so, and it is my job to steel and aid those whom would be made victims for feeling compassion and love towards others. To give them hope, and make clear what love has blinded them to, and shore up their defenses from those whom would manipulate love to be a destructive force. It cannot, and should not ever be used against another person.

The heart is a vulnerable part of anyone, and when damaged can be scarred in ways many cannot see. When I do see those wounds my own heart breaks for them, and I do what I can to aid them in seeing the damage undone, but like a scar upon the body, the pieces will never return back to it's former strength. It is far more preferable to guard the heart against those that would harm it, than it is to put it back together, for it will never be the same.
Amora Lininlith: A shadow in the Dark, to protect the light. retired from the coast
Alyssia Leonheart: Heartwarder, High Lady of the Halls of Inner Light Retired from the Coast
Katli Lovric: Selunite Warrior Priestess
Anrilor
Retired Staff

The Grand Knight and the Spymaster

Unread post by Anrilor »

Scribes in her Prayer Book a Private Journal Thought
There are many examples of Love that I have come across, each unique in their presentation on the coast. The first that comes to my mind is that of the Grand Knight and the Spymaster.

The Grand Knight is a leader of a local faction of duty bound knights, scouts, and the occasional magi that seek to bring order out of chaos, law to the lawless, justice where it is lacking upon the coast. His duty always come first, even before love, and while that can be seen against Sune's dogma, 'Love none more than yourself except Sune, and lose yourself in love of the Lady Firehair.' I do not believe it is the case. He is duty bound to those under his command, and yet found love in a most unexpected way with the Spymaster.

The Spymaster is Scout in Chief for the Grand Knight, and digs into local rumors, keeps tabs on various questionable groups and people across the coast and keeps detailed and dedicated reports of the on goings of things that the Knights may need to act upon. Her dealings have kept her far and wide, and investigating all manners of troubles across the coast, and have led her to conversate with various shady people to the point at times she is chided for showing compassion and even friendliness to those that are members of factions the Knights would oppose, all in the sake of ensuring that the information gathered might be of use in the future.

Theirs is a love that was never intended, the Grand Knight was, at more times then not, a womanizer, he enjoyed the chase of the fairer sex, but his duties were always, in his mind, restrictive on being able to fully commit to a relationship. His duties would always come first, and if a love was in danger, and his duty dictated him to another place, he would have no choice but to follow duty over his heart. The Spymaster, while protective of the knights she served, enjoyed the occasional flirtation, and boldly would attach herself to an arm of the knight that she seemed to suit best. In a jest, during a Midsummer Celebration in Doran Amar, she attached herself to the Grand Knight, whom at the time I will admit I was in pursuant of. Out of jealous of that simple act, I finally gave up the chase, because it was clear he was only leading me on, enjoying the chase and never giving over himself to me. Once I saw how easily it came to the Spymaster, I knew he would never hold me in his heart and decided to give myself more deeply to Firehair.

Their love however, grew out of a game, both enjoyed the chase, careful steps and teasing words to attempt to cause the other to make a more bold step then the other. Eventually this game grew companionship, confidence, and compassion for the both of them for one another. At some point, likely behind closed doors, the two confessed and agreed upon a few things. Firstly that the Grand Knight was to end all other games with the other women, and in return the Spymaster would dedicate her self and restrain herself to only ever hanging upon his arm.

Their love however, is still incomplete, there is a draw, that both seek to make the next step, yet seem unable or unsure of how to. One wishes their love be made public, declared before the city, not in marriage, but to simply allow others to know that it exists. My own keen eye and time with them has only shown to me that it is there, behind the teasing words, idle flirtations, and close stance of the Spymaster, always to the left of the Grand Knight, in proper form and noble dedication.

The Grand Knight, sworn to duty, needs to ensure that his duty will always come first, and worries that his love for her will detract from her. Even in marriage, he is worried that his duty as a knight would interfere with his duty as a husband. As such, he keeps his heart behind his steeled will. But there is the curiosity there, but I know in his mind's eye that such worries stop him from taking the next step and admitting his feelings publicly. He has many enemies, and those enemies would use such a thing against him and force his hand in a way he would not care to be forced. These are considerations on his mind always.

The Spymaster desires the relationship to be made public, because she constantly has to bat down other suiters for her heart lies with the Grand Knight, and cannot give good reason of why she denies them. She cannot admit she is in a love with her Grand Knight, for then the rumors will spread against his wishes.

Their love has gotten to a point where the both of them need to make a choice, admit the feelings to the world, or end the secret relationship for both of their good. It would break my heart if the second option was chosen, for love in these parts is few and far between and seems ever so fleeting.
Amora Lininlith: A shadow in the Dark, to protect the light. retired from the coast
Alyssia Leonheart: Heartwarder, High Lady of the Halls of Inner Light Retired from the Coast
Anrilor
Retired Staff

Litany of Sune's Dogma

Unread post by Anrilor »

In one of the blank pages in the back of Alyssia's Prayer book, she writes her litany, reading it for the sermon
Thank you all for coming this day, I welcome you all to an in depth conversation and litany on the Dogma of Lady Firehair. Afterwords there will be drinks and food offered in the Heartfire Tavern below, along with myself being available to answer any questions you have about today’s discussion.

We’ll start first with the first two lines of Firehair’s dogma:

Beauty is more than skin deep. It issues from the core of one’s being and reveals one’s true face to the world, fair or foul.
These lines are simple but most often overlooked, and easily so. Most assume that Sunites and the rest of our faith only care about outward appearances. But it is the character of heart, your deeds, your actions, your words, all matter to create a truly beautiful person. And those are what make a person beautiful, elegant, and worth protecting and defending, and calling friend, ally, and lover. These more then any other line in the dogma, speak to a person’s character, their heart, where their beauty or ugliness truly lie. This is why they are first in the dogma, and should be kept first in the hearts of our faith.

Believe in romance, as true love will win overall.
Love is a powerful emotion, it can stir and drive people to greatness, help others find their true path in life, and be inspired to be better for those they love. Those whom truly find love are made better for it, as they not just have themselves to live for, but to live for those they love, and this can drive them further along in life, growing, and bettering themselves against any challenges faced. That allows them to conquer any difficulties they my find in their path, and as such win over any difficulties along the road of life.

Follow your heart to your true destination.
Have convictions, follow them, be true to yourself and follow that path to whatever ends. You will always be where you need to be should you follow your heart, and be true to yourself first and foremost. Believe in the path you are on, in yourself, and you will always be where you deserve to be.

Love none more than yourself except Sune, and lose yourself in the love of the Lady Firehair.
At face, a rather narcissistic command, however, its meaning is far deeper then first glance. How can others love you, how can you inspire them to love, to greatness, if you cannot find it in yourself to be loved? And if you find yourself in such a way, believe and love Sune, for she is the guiding light of the faith, dive deeply into her love, be inspired by it, and find a better path forward. Be better so that you are worthy of Her love, and in turn can find a reason to love yourself, so that others might see the reason to love you.

Perform a loving act each day, and seek to awaken love in others. Respond to love at least once a day.
We now are in the commandments of what Firehair asks of us. The first seems simple, yet broad and reasonably so. A loving act can be as simple as giving a warm welcome to those whom need it, a comforting shoulder and ear to those lost in despair and frustration. By performing loving acts, it seeks to inspire people to love and be loved. To show the way to a better path, to find a new bounce to their heavy steps, a new lease on life. As you give love to others, and inspire it within them, they in turn may direct their own love upon you, accept it willingly and fully, so they are comforted in the fact that their own love is accepted and welcome.

Encourage beauty wherever you find it. Acquire beautiful times of all sorts, and encourage, sponsor, and protect those who create them.
Encourage beauty, and as we look back to the first two lines of the dogma, we know that it comes from within, more so then from the outside, those whom have the love of Sune, and perform beautiful and loving acts from within their own heart, and encourage it. Those whom create beauty, through song, poetry, art, and their own actions, encourage them, sponsor them, promote them, and protect them as others will covet their beauty, and seek to ruin it, or take it for themselves. People whom pour their heart into such works leave themselves vulnerable to criticisms and they should be protected from harm, as they bring beauty and light into the world from those that would snuff it.

Keep your own body as comely as possible and as attractively displayed as situations warrant. Let hairstyle and clothing best suit your personal appearance, striving to stir and delight others who look upon you. Moreover, hide not away, but always seek to present yourself to those around in a pleasing variety of garbs and activities so as to move them with love and desire.
And here is the commandment that most think of when you think of a Sunite. Well within and near the end of the Dogma. Looking back to the first two lines again, true beauty comes from within, however, we strive to look our best, to be an inspiration, to show our beauty clearly on the outside as we are on the inside. We use our appearance, our demeanors, and our actions to inspire love, stir and muse others to great heights, to perform great actions, and to create wonderous beauty throughout the world. But we also do so with subtly, mindful of the situations we enter, and adjust our clothing and armor as needed to personal taste and the situation before us. We should never hide ourselves, keep our beauty and actions to ourselves, but always keep them on display as an inspiration to others. To be a guiding beacon of what can be accomplished if we follow our hearts, and be a kind, loving, and beautiful soul.

Love those who respond to your appearance, and let warm friendship and admiration flower where love cannot or dares not.
For those we manage to inspire to be better, to find love, to create beauty, return their love to them, and even if we find ourselves on opposing sides or factions, be friendly and warm to them when the situation allows, appreciate such actions as so they will continue and know that such deeds are welcome and should continue to do so, even if we cannot dedicate ourselves to them.

Thank you all for coming and listening to me today, and I welcome you all to join me in the Heartfire for food and drink, and to answer any questions you may have about today’s service and my Faith in general.
Anrilor
Retired Staff

Litany of Gwyn and Lucia's Wedding

Unread post by Anrilor »

Alyssia copies the litany from a recent wedding in the Halls to her prayer book.
Welcome all to this auspicious occasion, the union of two hearts into one, two beloved, before these gods, united in faith, beauty, joy, and lasting love.

This union will be placed before four gods each with special meaning to the union of these two souls. Lucia and Gwyn.

Sune, Lady Firehair, the Princess of Passion, we call upon you to bless, grow, and inspire the love between these two, to keep them forever in love and aid them in finding new and beautiful ways to love one another. May they always inspire beauty and love between one another to keep the marriage long and fruitful. May their love forever inspire love between new lovers and friends, let it strengthen all whom observe their love for one another.

Hanali, Lady Goldenheart, The Winsome Rose, we ask that you continue to aid Gwyn and Lucia in drawing their twin hearts together, binding them tighter, and growing their love as strong as oak, and as deep as its roots.

Tymora, Lady Luck, Our Smiling Lady, bless this couple, lucky in life, lucky in love. They stand before you, and those gathered this day, bold as any, to declare their love for the rest of their lives and dare to challenge the fate of the coast together, as two lovers into one heart. They chased one another, and you aided them in that chase, to see them unified before you this day.

Mystra, The Lady of Mysteries, The Mother of All Magic, you teach us to love magic for itself, and in extension, you teach us to love ourselves for ourselves. You teach us to love others for themselves. Before you today, these two lovers of both each other and of knowledge, and the seeking of your eternal mysteries, are beholden to you and your blessings of the deepest mystery, of the mystery of the heart and of love. Bless their union and aid them in the understanding of each other, their wants, their desires, and weave together their hearts eternally together.

Please state your vows to one another.

Gwyn/Lucia do you, before Lady Firehair, Lady Goldenheart, Lady Luck, and The Lady of Mysteries, take Lucia/Gwyn, into your heart, bind them with your own, boldly before all that are gathered, and weaved together from this day? (x2 flip names)

Then before The Princess of Passion, The Winsome Rose, Our Smiling Lady, and The Mother of All Magic, and all those gathered here today might bear witness, that you two are bound by marriage and love, forever more. You may Kiss and seal the union!
Anrilor
Retired Staff

Grand Revel Litany

Unread post by Anrilor »

The High Lady adds another Litany to her prayer book
Welcome one and all to the Grand Revel of Lliira, an educational celebration of Our Lady of Joy, Mistress of Revels, Joybringer Lliira! I look forward to both the entertainment of the night along with educating one and all of the Goddess of Joy. We begin by evaluating the Dogma of Lliira.

Each day is another movement in the Elysian Rigadoon, the joyful dance of a life lived in rapture and without care or frustration.
Every day is a new day, another step, in a life filled with joy, without regrets or worry. Each day should be taken as a new opportunity. The past is the past and cannot be changed, and the future is where we move to, and it should be bright and filled with joy and celebration. Missteps and stumbles should be taken in stride as no dance is perfect and without error. Enjoy the dance of life, and let it carry you to wherever is next.

Seek joy always by working to bestow it upon others.
Joy should be spread, not horded, and the truest joy is watching those around you feel it too. Find happiness in bringing it to others, so they might dance and sing along in wonderous rapture. Joy can be as infectious as misery so spread it to others, and they might spread it as well.

Festivals are for all--gather into celebrations the lost, the lonely, the exiled and outlaw, the shunned, and even your foes.
Celebrations should be shared by all, forgiveness given to past slights, and grudges be forgiven, even if for the moment, so that all might partake and find happiness during celebration. Through this we can come to understand and respect one another, even if on other days we may come to disagreement once again. By sharing in the same joy, we might come to understand one another, and past slights forgiven through that understanding. Everyone deserves to be happy, at least for a single moment.

Let folk follow their own desires, and never fail to follow your own.
Everyone has their own path, their own wants and needs, let them seek them out, and find their own joy in life. Always follow your own heart, and let it lead to whatever ends it brings you. Never stand in the way of someone else’s path, and understand their dance may lead them astray or bring them closer, but always let them go on their venture as you would want to do the same.

With that, let us feast and celebrate, dance and sing, make new friends and catch up with the old, let old grudges be in the past, even if for the day. May you enjoy the party and each other’s company. Before you depart, visit me for a gift and reminder of the celebration this eve. Let the music and celebration begin!
Anrilor
Retired Staff

The Fallible Nature of the Gods

Unread post by Anrilor »

In the early morning, after her morning bath and prayers, a long thought lingers enough in the Heartwarders mind that nearly forces her to transcribe them to a blank page in her prayer book.
The Gods at times can seem omnipotent, responding to various prayers at a whim of their clergy, knights, and protectors. Seemingly able to reach from one end of fae'run to another without hesitation. They can reach out as called upon through the weave and interact in the world, helping shape it as their dutiful believers ask.

Other times they can reach out through their chosen, granting visions and knowledge not otherwise given through tomes. Giving them purpose and a chance to shape the world as they see fit through emissaries.

But in the rare occasion, they will reach through the veil with their own powerful magics. I bore witness to such a feat by another goddess, elven in nature, and one that is worshiped in the Halls. During such an event a gift of both good and suffering was given. A soul made whole, but at the cost of a binded companion. One that was a lover of a dear friend. The seeming kindness of an action to see her freed of her curses also caused her pain in the loss of a bound lover.

There will be questions asked, questions that I pray I will be wise enough to answer. But I have given my pledge, first to the unseen lover, and renewed with my friend that I will always be at her side, keeping her in the light, guiding her gently, and never letting her falter. I will be with her on this journey, and will see it through til I no longer draw breath.

I dread the questions ahead, but I am sworn to answer them the best I can, but I do not know the minds of Gods. But I do know this, they are not infallible, they too, despite what many clerics would say, are flawed, even as powerful as they are. And sometimes they cannot see the consequences of their actions, even when they are given in good faith and generosity to aid in healing of the soul, that those actions can drive people away from the gods rather then bring them closer.

I pray I am wise and faithful enough to see my friend through her coming struggles, and that I might be granted visions and knowledge of how to proceed carefully and cautiously, not for myself, but for the soul of my dear friend.

Return to “Character Biographies and Journals”