The writings of Laitae Lafreth

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

The writings of Laitae Lafreth

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

This is a text that Laitae has written and given to the Library at Candlekeep. Anyone who gains entrance there, would be able to read this text if looking in the Dragon section

Dragons and their connection to the Weave.

Possibly the most powerful creatures on the prime, perhaps some of the most powerful beings among the planes apart from the deities themselvs, are the Dragons. They are mostly known for their long lives, vast treasures and breaths of powerful elemental force. Another feature of Dragons, is their innate ability to wield the weave.

Innate magical abilites isn't unheard of among the races of Toril. We can see it in the Genasi, for instance, inherited abilities from their respective elemental ancestors. Other planetouched creatures have inherited abilites as well, such as the Aasimar and Tieflings. Even among some of those native to the prime, we find innate magical abilites, such as in the Drow's ability to cast Faerie Fire.

Dragons have similar abilities that reflect their specific species. For instance, Blue Dragons – who mostly live in the desert – are able to magically create and destroy water even as wyrmlings. Gold Dragons, often considered the noblest of dragons and often resemble paladins in attitude, learn in young age to cast a Bless spell.

Differing from many other races, Dragons also innately develop spells of their own, much like we see in Sorcerers among other races. This has lead many sorcerers to conclude that they are descendants from dragons, a theory that might be true for some. As Dragons age, their magical abilities grow stronger even if they choose not to actively pursue a path of magic, and often become more powerful than many mages among other races. Some species of Dragons are even able to access spells most commonly associated with divine magic, like the Cure and Heal spells as part of their repertoire.

Despite their strong natural affinity to the Weave, they are limited to only a somewhat small amount of spells known, and often rely mostly on their natural strength and breath attacks whenever engaged in combat. This means that most dragons choose spells of utility, such as Dispel Magic and Scrying, rather than direct attack spells. And indeed for those species that can access such spells, the Cure and Heal spells are commonly learned.

A curious fact about Dragons' innate arcane abilities, which is another testament to their strong connection to the Weave and makes them rather different from mages of other races, is that they most often do not require spell components when they cast magics.

Laitae Lafreth
Arcane Scholar and Avowed of Candlekeep
Last edited by Deathgrowl on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Obahzk Elf-Skinner, Blackguard of Gruumsh and orcish war drummer

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Re: The collected works of Laitae Lafreth

*Although not written by Laitae, she translated this text from elven to common and donated it to the Library. This text is placed in one of the book shelves in the corridors of the library, possibly along with other children's tales, and not in a particular section*

Angharradh and the Faerie Dragon

Garurtgix was a young Faerie Dragon living in the Feywild. One day his wings had become gray and dull, and not bright and colourful like others of his kin. A cruel red dragon called Sjachixen had once fooled him into believing it was because all the flowers had taken his colours. This made poor Garurtgix very sad because he used to love flowers.

"How can I get my colours back?" Garurtgix sadly asked.

"You must cut down a thousand flowers of each colour." Sjachixen replied with a cruel smirk.

And so Garurtgix started to cut down all the flowers he could find.

One day, he came upon Angharradh, the Queen of Arvandor, who was tending to her garden it was a great and beautiful garden of flowers of all the colours he could ever imagine, and had a small pond in the middle. Garurtgix, being angry with the flowers, told her that they had stolen all his colours and that he needed to cut them all down. Angharrad shook her head at his anger and told him to come down to the pond with her.

There, they looked into the relection of the pond, and indeed, Garurtgix had no colours. He then let out a sad sigh.

"You see?" he said sadly and looked back at Angharradh. "My colours are all gone. Sjachixen said the flowers took them and that i had to cut down a thousand of each coloured flower to get them back."

Angharrad smiled at him.

"No, dear. They are all there," she said and threw a bucket of water over him with a soft chuckle. "Sjachixen have just covered you in ashes, little one."

Garurtgix blinked and looked down at his reflection again. Now, his wings were yet again shining with bright colours. He then smiled and helped tending to Angharradh's flowers for the rest of his life.
Nëa the Little Shadow

Free music:
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

This is a text that Laitae has written and given to the Library at Candlekeep. Anyone who gains entrance there, would be able to read this text if looking in the Dragon section.

A short treatise on Planar Dragons

I dedicate this text, in which I explain the nature of some planar dragons in short terms, to my colleague and friend Hoihe Dacino, a sorcerer and silver dragon warrior of considerable power and knowledge of his own ancestors, but lacking a bit in other draconic species. You know I mean well, Hoihe.

Battle dragons
These planar dragons are most commonly found on the plane of Ysgard, one of the planes of objective good, which is also the nature of these dragons. They are known for their valor in battle, optimism and ability to inspire battle morale to others. They are small, as dragons go, growing at very much the same rate as White dragons. Their main "breath" is more a scream that causes damage much like an Orb of Sound. They also have a secondary breath which is a gas that inspires fear in their enemies.

Chaos dragons
As the name suggests, these dragons are chaotic in all ways while being as often good as they are evil. They are mainly found on the ever changing plane of Limbo and grow about as big and fast as Green dragons and Bronze dragons. Their chaotic nature causes their main breath weapon to randomly change between the energies acidic, electric, cold, fiery and sonic. Even more true to chaos, their second breath is a gas that confuses the mind.

Pyroclastic dragons
These dragons of elemental fury are native to the objectively evil plane of Gehenna, and are more lenient towards order and law than chaos if anything. They grow as large as Red and Silver dragons and enjoy swimming through the magma on their endless, volcanic home plane. Their main breath is a roaring cloud of hot ash that both scorches their enemies and crushes them with sonic force. Their secondary breath disintegrates anything not powerful enough to withstand it.

Radiant dragons
These dragons native to the plane of Celestia are arguably more righteous and strident in their wish to destroy evil than the Gold dragons of the Prime. As their name suggests, they shine brightly with what has been described as a "heavenly glow", but they can dim this glow if they so wish. They grow as large as Gold dragons and have two powerful kinds of breath, if you can even call them that. The primary one manifests as a line of pure force, while the secondary one is a blinding light.

Tarterian dragons
Native to the lower plane Carceri, these dragons are evil in nature and leaning towards chaos if anything. They are possibly the largest of the evil dragons, growing at the same rate as Gold and Radiant dragons, thus making them larger than Reds. Their main breath weapon is a devastating line of disruptive force, while their secondary breath is a gas that makes the affected despair and loose morale.

Reader Laitae Lafreth
of Candlekeep
Last edited by Deathgrowl on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nëa the Little Shadow

Free music:
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

This is a text that Laitae has written and given to the Library at Candlekeep. Anyone who gains entrance there, would be able to read this text if looking in the Planes section. The text serves mainly as a personal and subjective view of planes visited.

Laitae's Plane Travel Journal

Arvandor

I have been in Arvandor for about two ten-days now, and I thought I'd write about what I've learned and seen so far. Not many hours after I entered the plane, I encountered a celdarin wizard and bard, Menethir, who lives in an eldarin settlement here on Arvandor and offered to let me stay with him during my stay on the plane. For the reader of this journal, celdarin are almost to elves as aasimar are to humans. They are either half eldarin or simply decended from such. Menethir, for instance, says his great grandmother is an eldarin.

On Toril, most scholars call this plane either Arvandor or Arborea. In fact, Menethir told me that Arvandor is actually one of three layers of the plane Arborea. This layer is as far as I have seen a great, beautiful forest with large open spaces under the trees. Corellon Larethian, the creator of my people, along with the rest of the Seldarine all live on this plane, except Deep Sashelas, who mostly lives on the second layer. The second layer is Aquallor, a gigantic ocean.

The third layer is Mithardir is a great desert. Menethir says it used to be a great forest as well, and giants or titans used to live there and that one can still find towers and tombs from this civilization. It is apparently quite hostile these days, with severe storms, so not many explorers dare go there.

Personally I have only been on Arvandor thus far, and I don't plan on visiting the two other layers. The inhabitants here, who are mostly eldarin, go on hunts in the daytime or have other challenges that they seem to enjoy very much. In the evenings, there are feasts and telling of tales around a campfire. I am quite happy to learn about the two other layers from their stories rather than going there myself for now. I could stay here for years and listen to their stories, especially considering how welcome they make me feel. My bard friends on Toril would absolutely love this place. But I think it is soon time to see another plane, something I will have to discuss with Menethir.

Elemental Air

After suggestion from Menethir, and him offering to take me there and stay for a few days, I am now on the Elemental Plane of Air, living as a guest to a djinn merchant on one of four large floating djinn strongholds that are connected by short range portals to an even larger stronghold they all orbit. It's a magnificent sight that can hardly be described by words.

My host - Rashokh al Ezret, a good-hearted and cheerful jester of a djinn - and Menethir knows each other quite well, it seems. Menethir, being quite powerful in the Art, helps Rashokh analyze various artifacts he trades in as well as scribing various scrolls for further trade in exchange for whatever scrolls or spellbooks with new and unknown spells and books of arcane lore Rashokh manages to get hold of as a trader.

After three days here, Menethir had to return to Arvandor again, making me promise to keep in touch and tell him of where I went in my planar travels and to visit him again some day. I will, Menethir. By Mystra, I promise to visit lovely Arvandor again. But for now, I am on Elemental Air.

This plane is endlessly fascinating. There's no up or down, and gravity is subjective, meaning that each individual inhabitant decides which way is down. The exception to this, is these djinn strongholds and other floating islands – castles of powerful planar archmages and the like. Here, on these islands, gravity is like on the Prime. I suspect it is done like this to make it more bearable for visitors. These are merchants after all.

I haven't yet dared to leave the island and see it from afar. I've decided I'm not going to even try alone, in fear of being taken by the sudden strong winds or simply panicking at the lack of ground and plummeting one way or the other. I think I'll try to politely ask Rashokh if he can take me out and see the strongholds from afar. If not, I'll be quite content with sitting on the edge, peering out into the plane and watching the other floating islands.

Rashokh tells me that each djinn stronghold is ruled by what they call a sheik. They often ally themselves with other strongholds and become a confederation, ruled by a caliph. The largest island of these five connected ones, is home of one such caliph, who in turn serves a grand caliph who has his stronghold somewhere within two days flight.

I think I'll stay here for another ten-day or so, to learn more about the plane and decide where to go next. Rashokh said he planned to visit Sigil on the Outland on merchant business, returning the same day. I might join him there and back here again. Wouldn't want to go to Sigil without someone who knows how to get out again.

A trip to Sigil

I miss Candlekeep. I have learned much since I left Toril and I still hope to learn even more, but I miss the calm early mornings at Candlekeep while my fellow avowed are still asleep and I can sit on the tower balcony reading while the Sun rises, before watching the acolytes come out of the quarters to start doing their daily chores.

Rashokh al Ezret, my djinn host, took me to Sigil on the Outlands two days ago. He had some trade business there, and I asked if I could come along to see the famous City of Doors – the hub of all planar travelers. A usual tip for anyone who visits Sigil, is to get a guide. Especially for those who have never been there before. Because Rashokh was busy, I couldn't ask him to show me around. He mentioned Kylie, a tiefling who is quite well known as one of the best and most trustworthy guides in Sigil, and I managed to hire her.

She showed me around in the various so called Wards, the districts of Sigil. Seeing as I was there for only a day, I didn't learn much new from what I had already read about, and is information available in most books on planar travel. But seeing the city with my own eyes was still a great experience. Looking straight up and seeing another part of the city was absolutely fascinating.

I told Kylie that I was planning to visit more planes and that I was a bit unsure about where to go next, so she took me to a tavern where many plane travelers meet and exchange experiences. There we met two half-deva brothers, a paladin and a priest, both of Ilmater. They recommended I visit the plane Elysium. I didn't know much of Elysium, but knew it was supposed to be very beautiful and they say "it is a land so pleasant you may never want to leave". It sounded like the most promising of all the suggestions I got, but I think I'm going to see if Rashokh has some books on it or knows more about it himself.

Kylie then took me back to where I Rashokh had been doing his business, and we left Sigil and went back to Elemental Air. Right now, as I am writing, I am starting to get quite comfortable here, even sitting on the edge of one of the floating islands. I still don't dare to try flying off alone, though.

I'll need to decide where to go next soon, although I think that I'll soon miss Candlekeep so much that I'll just return home. And such a lovely home it is.

Last day on the Elemental Plane of Air

I wonder how Doron Amar is doing. It's been almost a month, so they have probably dealt with the Black Orcs by now, seeing as how apparently imminent the threat was. Or so Councilor Sywyn and his scouts said. I hope Silias isn't angry with me for leaving. Although, if I was wrong about Baelather, she's probably fine. If I was right, on the other hand – well, that's for another time.

I think I've fallen in love with the Elemental Plane of Air. It's so relaxing to just sit here on the edge of a large island floating around in the air with no ground in any direction. I am endlessly fascinated with sitting here on the edge and not being able to truthfully say that I am "looking down" from it. It is my last day here for this time, however. But I will most definitely come back.

After reading a bit more about Elysium, I learned that the sheer joy and beauty of the plane has captured travelers in the past, who after years mostly forget their former life and live in complete bliss on the plane. However tempting such infinite happiness might sound, I've decided not to go there. Rashokh said when I spoke with him about it, that it is a beautiful plane and me being an accomplished mage should have no problem gathering the will to leave the plane again, but I guess I don't have as much confidence in myself as others sometimes have confidence in me.

Instead, I've decided to go to the plane of Bytopia, also known as the Seven Golden Hills. The plane where the gods of the gnomes are said to have realms. But that is not why I am going there. What caught my interest, is the nature of Bytopia's two layers. They face eachother as the inside of a book. If you stand on one layer and look up, you can see the other one overhead. There's apparently about a mile between the two layers and some mountains reach so high on both layers that they meet in the middle and connect. I can't wait to see it!

But first, I need some hours of reverie.

A dream
/* This entry is an explanation to her recent RCR */

Today I thanked Rashokh the djinn merchant for letting me stay with him on the Elemental Plane of Air and said that I would gladly come back again in a not very far future, to which he replied by laughing and saying I was welcome at any time. I then packed my things up and cast the Gate spell to take me to Bytopia.

I used to think it was only imagination, and only wishful dreams when I heard Mystra speak to me. And there's very few who know of it, as I've feared it would just be viewed as madness. I'm a wizardess, after all, and it is common for folk to think that we who practice the Art are or will become insane at some point in our lives.

I was entering reverie when I instead fell asleep, and then she spoke to me again, as she had done before. Clearer this time, and I thought I could see her. She spoke the words I have memorized and written on the front cover of my spell book, the words her priests teach us. And then it felt as though she 'touched' my mind. Granted me spells that I have never been able to cast before and that I know priests use.

I woke up and realized that it wasn't just another dream. It wasn't just my imagination. I could, and can still, feel the new magic that had been granted to me. Such a strange feeling. I don't have to memorize these. I don't have to study my spell book for them. They're just there. As I sit here on this mountainside on the plane Bytopia, I have a new, stronger sense of purpose that I've ever had.

Love magic for itself. Do not treat it just as a weapon to reshape the world to your will.
True wisdom is knowing when not to use magic. Strive to use magic less as your powers
develop, for often the threat or promise of its use outstrips its actual performance.
Magic is Art, the Gift of the Lady, and those who wield it are privileged in the extreme.
Conduct yourself humbly, not proudly, while being mindful of this. Use the Art deftly
and efficiently, not carelessly and recklessly. Seek always to learn and create new magic

Now I will wander Bytopia for a while, take notes and look at it's beauty. I think this is the last plane I will visit before I return home to Toril and Candlekeep. For this time.

Bytopia

I have spent the last few days walking the hills of Bytopia together with an old friend, a Celestial Dire Bear that I have called to aid me on the Prime now and then. He of course doesn't speak, but remembers me and knows the plane well, so he has acted like a guide and a guard in some ways.

As mentioned in my previous entry, Bytopia has two layers that face eachother separated by about a mile and connects some places with mountains stretching up from the surface of both layers and meets in the middle. I have spent most time on Dothion, the most populated and calm layer. This layer has large woods and farmlands with the occasional small towns connected to these farms. I have spent the nights in one of the largest towns, Yeoman. There's no moon on Bytopia and the only "stars" are lights from the towns on the layer overhead.

The second layer is Shurrock. The inhabitants describe it as savage and wild and there aren't many towns or farms there. I went there one day to see what Dothion would look like from there. Nighttime on Shurrock has many "stars", for instance, as there are much more towns on Dothion. The towns on this layer are mainly mining towns, for just beneath the surface there are seams of gold and gems.

Most of the inhabitants of Bytopia are celestials such as guardinals and archons, but also some planetars and solars, and a few eldarin. Other than that, there are many animals and several of them are, like my friend, the celestial variants of animals of the Prime.

Gravity is strange, as it is always down towards the layer you're closest to. And then, there is an invisible barrier in the middle of the two planes that when you cross it, you're suddenly falling down to the other layer. It's a strange sensation.

But I'm sated as far as planar travel goes for this time. Tomorrow I'll prepare to head home. I can't wait to see Candlekeep again.
Nëa the Little Shadow

Free music:
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Re: The writings of Laitae Lafreth

This text is not in Candlekeep's library, but rather in Laitae's personal journal. It may end up in the library some time in the future, but for now, these are her personal and private writings.

I have now been home in Leuthilspar for over a month, and feel it is time to collect my thoughts and feelings so far. For they are many, both joyous and sad.

We left the Sword Coast on the 15th of Tarsakh, after Aeili's farewell party. The journey was for the most part uneventful, save a few storms. I spent most of those under deck, keeping her company when she felt nauceous from the waves. We spent hours and hours, speaking our Lady Mystra and Her Gift. We shared stories from our experiences in Faerûn, and we shared our concerns and fears in confronting our respective families. We laughed together, we wept together and consoled each other. I can never compare to my sister in wisdom, but I will always aspire to live up to it.

As we came in through Sehanine's illusions around Evermeet and past the ever-raging storms beyond, Aeili and I both excitedly stood at the bow of the ship, staring at the island appearing on the horizon. I was overcome with emotion at seeing the deep blue and ever-calm sea surrounding Evermeet, and realised how much I had missed it. As we drew closer to the island during the day, my emotions ran wild several times, especially when we passed Sumbrar and entered into the bay before Leuthilspar.

I had contacted Thro'Katharian some days earlier, to expect our arrival. I wanted to meet with him and get the "lay of the land", as it were, before meeting my parents. As we came ashore, I saw him standing in his gray robes, holding his staff over in the shadow of a tree. Patiently waiting for his apprentice. Keeping my smile intact, I bid farewell with Aeili for the time as she left with her family, hoping I would see her again before I returned to Candlekeep, then alone approached Thro'Katharian. He smiled at me, as much as a baelnorn can. A strange sight, for many, and probably not easily recognisable as a smile, but I had come to know him and his expressions over my years of study under him.

"Welcome home, Great Reader," he greeted me. I had told him of my station, of course, as I regularly send letters to him to ask about my parents and news from Evermeet and to update him about my own situation. He seemed proud. Tears came streaming down my face then, no longer able to contain my emotions. Five years isn't a long time away from home, but it felt so much longer. I embraced him. He still feels like mostly bones. He will always be one of those baelnorns who just doesn't really bother to cover himself in illusions to seem more pleasing to those he interacts with. But then he is also a bit of a hermit.

We walked together to my family's home. He has been informing my parents about my status these years and spent much time with them, I think. He explained to me while we walked that it was as important for him as it was for me that my parents understood why I had to leave. He had already known (or at least suspected) that I belonged to Mystra, but decided to not tell me as he thought it was best I found out on my own. In his words, it is between me and the Mother of Magic. Knowing this, he encouraged me and he made every effort once I had left to explain to my parents how this was, again in his words, my destiny. Corellon had clearly accepted it and allowed it, and so should his priests.

Mother came running at me when we approached our home. Arms stretched out towards me and tears streaming down her face. Father came walking behind her, though his expression revealed a desire to run as well. I also ran. Mother and I didn't say a word for several minutes – we cried and we hugged, and father embraced us both. When we finally managed to form words, mother kept saying "we're so proud of you" over and over, dispelling all my fears that they were disappointed and angry with me. Thro'Katharian said his goodbye, and that he'd return the next morning.

Mother, father and I spoke for hours that night. We shared wine and food. They had prepared for me to come home almost as if it was a great celebration. Mostly I spoke, of course, as they kept asking what I had done all these years. Many of my doings they had already learned of through Thro'Katharian, but they were still very excited to hear me tell of it in person. These talks still happen, as there is much to tell. And they want to hear everything several times.

But that isn't to say we haven't had some disagreements. They respect Mystra and her relationship to me, but they are concerned with how that changes my view of humans and others not of the People. I haven't said anything about the drow I have met on the coast, and I think it'll be most healthy for both them and me that such remains unspoken.

Aeili spends most of her time in Taltempla now, and I haven't been able to visit her yet. And she's only been in Leuthilspar a few times when I've had the opportunity to meet her. Her health is very clearly deteriorating, and it saddens me that nothing can be done to save her. I pray Mystra has clear plans for Aeili, for there are few who deserve Mystra's attention more right now.

Apart from going between the temple and home, spending time with my parents, I have also spent a lot of time in study together with Thro'Katharian. He treats me more as an equal in the Art now than when I left. He says I'm no longer his student, as he can't teach me any more. Indeed now he asks me for advice occasionally. We ask eachother for advice, that is. I haven't quite worked out if he's just being nice and trying to encourage me, but we can have quite long debates about certain aspects of a spell that is being worked on, for instance, where we both have ideas that can work. He does seen genuinely appreciative of my advice.

I eventually have to return to the Sword Coast, of course, as I am avowed to Candlekeep. But I'm not quite ready to leave yet. Mother and father respects it, although they do admit they'd prefer if I just stayed on Evermeet. I will make an effort to visit them occasionally, though. And write to them. I know now that they accept my path and are even proud it, and I'm happier than I have been in a long time because of it.

Further plans while on Evermeet include visiting Taltempla for several reasons, chief of which is of course Aeili. I will also visit Corellon's Grove, I think. Thro'Katharian ha also asked me to come along to the Towers of the Sun and Moon for some business he has there. Curiously he also wants us to go to the Farmeadows before I return to Faerûn.
Nëa the Little Shadow

Free music:
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Laitae Lafreth, receiving Mystra's Silver Fire

The door into the catacombs under the library of Candlekeep felt particularly heavy now. It was always heavy for the small elven woman, but Laitae knew it was going to be the last time she'd go there. At least in many years. That carried extra weight. She stood a while in the doorway, her hand gripping the cold stone as she steadied herself. The catacombs were quiet and dark, with only a few flickering lights luminating the many tunnels ahead - though enough for her elven eyes to see fine.

"Miirym?"

Her voice was barely more than a whisper, but it echoed softly back to her from the cavern. She felt a bit surprised that her voice came out that way. She had intended to speak the spectral silver dragon's name more clearly, but perhaps she hadn't been quite as prepared for the emotions streaming into her as she stood there. She hadn't even managed to decide how to explain to Miirym that she'd be leaving and wouldn't return for many years, if at all. She peeked into the dimly lit catacombs, then shook her head lightly and stepped forward, down the small staircase. The Sentinel would have heard her anyways, she thought.

Waiting for the ghostly dragon, Laitae walked over to a certain spot. There was a circle on the floor, framed by ten piles of dust. Largely untouched for almost six years. Her right hand reached up to grasp her holy symbol, as if by instinct, and she stood there in silence staring at the circle for several moments. She recalled herself sitting in the middle of the circle, blinded by the Lady of Loss. By Shar herself. She let go of her holy symbol, lowering her hand again. As if steeling herself for a cold swim, she clenched her fists and stepped into the circle.

Nothing happened.

Laitae exhaled. Had she really expected something to happen? No, not here. She looked around and, seeing no ghostly dragon, she sat down in the middle of the circle, gazing idly at the dust piles. Yes. Shar had cursed her. But here, in this spot, Most Holy Mystra had cured her from that curse. The First Reader had asked her where she felt most safe, so that he could perform the ritual the Lady of Mysteries had revealed to him. It was here. Within the walls of Candlekeep and under the watch of her friend Miirym. So this is where it happened. This place was significant.

But now just a circle of dust piles. Laitae looked up, glancing about.

"Miirym?" She said, clearer this time. Her voice was confused. Where was the Sentinel?

Light suddenly flared just below her field of vision as she gazed into the caverns. A pale, silvery light. Laitae blinked and looked down at the pile of dust directly in front of her. It was burning! But the flame was silver. She gasped in surprise, and it took a few more moments before she realised all of the piles around her were aflame the same way. At once, the flames lept towards her, engulfing her - flowing into her! She gasped again, tried to scream.

A strange sensation of pain gripped her as the Silver Fire of Mystra streamed into her. Was she supposed to hold all of this? The pain was more intense than anything she had ever felt, but also felt with senses - or whatever was feeling it - she had never even used before. It threatened to burst her apart, rip her into billions of silver sparks and vanish into nothing. No! She willed herself to endure the agony. Was this a test of strength? Or just how it had to happen? Either way, she thought, she had accepted this. She simply had to endure. To calm the fire that filled her. She had to let it settle in her. And she herself had to settle with it.

As if blowing out a candle, the pain vanished, and her vision was all silver light. Not blinding, but soft and blissful. And there stood Mystra - or rather floated - in front of her, her arms outstretched and smiling. Loving. Caring. Like a mother welcoming a daughter home. Laitae simply submitted and reached out to embrace the goddess with no hesitation, though moments later, she caught herself wondering if this was perhaps a bit too forward. Mystra squeezed the young elf in her embrace as if to dispel that notion. Did she know Laitae had even thought it? Of course she did. All of this was going on in her mind. Mystra was right there - in her mind!

The moment seemed to last for hours, as Laitae embraced the goddess. No words were necessary; no instructions. Laitae already knew what her first task was. Mystra let go of the embrace, pulling back gently, as she smiled at her new Chosen and faded away into the silver light.

The light dimmed and Laitae became still sat on the floor of the catacombs of Candlekeep. In front of her was the skeletal ghost of a silver dragon skull, staring at her.

"Laitae?" The disembodied voice of Miirym spoke, sounding uncertain - and even a little bit bewildered.

Laitae blinked and felt the tears still on her cheeks. She brought a hand up to wipe her face with the sleeve of her dress. "Hello, Miirym."

"Your dust is gone!" The draconic ghost pointed out.

Laitae looked down at the floor, to the circle around her. The circle that used to be around her, that is. The piles of diamond dust were all vanished. She looked back up to Miirym, hovering in front of her.

"What did you see, Miirym?" she asked.

"Silver fire, streaming into you. Your goddess was here too, I could feel it. So much magic, Laitae! And you’re not the same now as when you sat down," responded Miirym with a clarity that was uncommon for the otherwise somewhat addled ghost. "It was a feeling that made me very happy."

Laitae couldn’t help but chuckle. She stood up, straightened out her dress and faced the dragon again. "I came to say good-bye, my friend," she smiled sadly up at the Sentinel. "Mystra has a task for me, and I will have to leave Candlekeep behind. Perhaps I’ll be allowed to come visit you one day in the future, but I don’t know how long that will be."

"They will let you visit me, or I will bite all of them."

Laitae laughed. "Then I will visit you, when I can, Miirym."

"And you will tell me all your new stories!" said the spectral dragon skull and nodded firmly.

Laitae returned the nod and reached up a hand as if to give the dragon a pat on the cheek. Her hand met nothing, but Miirym’s motion indicated she appreciated the gesture.

She spent a few hours there, recounting the tale of how she found the laboratory of Hargin the Scholar that Khelben Arunsun had tasked her in finding, and the research therein regarding the Nether Scrolls that she was now going to be studying with Khelben. Miirym, as always, was fascinated and excited to hear tales from outside the catacombs. Laitae then reaffirmed her intention of visiting again whenever able, and took her farewell with Miirym.

At the gate of Candlekeep stood Tethtoril waiting for her. She handed over her key and wardstone to the First Reader, and managed a smile. This had been her home for only eight years. Not much, in the life of an elf, but they had still been the most eventful and memorable years of her life so far. And though she was no longer avowed, she felt a certain belonging to this place. And indeed, despite not being bound by vows anymore, it was her intention to stay true to those vows as much as she could and still defend Candlekeep to the best of her ability.

"Keep me updated on your research, yes?" asked Tethtoril, smiling as warmly as always, as they walked down the path to get out of Candlekeep’s wards. Laitae nodded. She didn’t quite manage to speak, now, so she resorted to embracing her mentor. Then she stepped back. Inhaled. And sighed, as she wiped the new tears from her cheeks. Tethtoril’s smile was still there, encouraging. She smiled back at him, then spoke an incantation. In a flash of light, she vanished.

And appeared in Waterdeep, in front of the Blackstaff Tower.

DM Boo wrote:Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:55 am Feel free to post it, and say that it's been approved by the HDM's.
Nëa the Little Shadow

Free music:

Return to “Character Biographies and Journals”