Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

A Watermarked Ledger

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:55 pm

The 24th day of Hammer.

The visitors to my camp north of Beregost this day were as follows;

-Captain Desrah Asher, of Amn, came and shared the camp. We talked, personal.

-Someone watched me and the captain walk, they never made their presence known, not sure if they were hostile, or not. I know it wasn't the goblins or a tiger. Just a bad, certain feeling I was being watched. Think I scared the captain with how I acted, but thought she'd catch on quicker than she did. My fault not hers.

-Someone's dog approached the camp from a distance, didn't get too close, easy to tell it from a wolf on account of it's size, smaller, younger animal.

-The dog returned at dinner. I whistled and called to it but it wouldn't ever get close. Tossed it what I hadn't ate and it took to it fine. Left as quietly as it arrived.
Last edited by YourMoveHolyMan on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Re: A Watermarked Ledger

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:59 pm

The 25th day of Hammer.

-The dog came again for breakfast, she wouldn't touch the grits. Fed her some biscuits instead. She wouldn't get close enough to be hand fed, but she wasn't feral. This was someone's pet.

-Saw a large armored man with a scythe in the goblin ruins. I tried speaking with him, but he never issue a reply, just looked at me. The air around him was off, and there was a sickly color about him. The only response I ever received was his color changed, no other way to describe it. He didn't attack me, so I let him be, and avoided him til I was out of there again.

-Lord Kahanak Habdilof, of Thay, paid visit to the camp. I traded him a scroll for a blade. He had an interesting method of keeping the rain at bay.

-Val, a warrior, maybe magi or priestess, came to the camp, asked for my help thinning out the local goblins in the ruins and I obliged. See the below report for more.

-Camp was attacked by a vampire, later to be identified as Andariel. See below for the rest.

-Atashka, Lilac, also paid a visit. Need to ask her again how she spells where she is from.

The 25th day of Hammer.

The following is my account of a vampire's attack, just north of Beregost at Lathander's campsite, maintained by Michael Dunn. A copy of the same was made for the Song of the Morning temple of Beregost.

I was at the campsite just north of Beregost. Val was present and we had just thinned the local goblin tribe within their hideout, the nearby ruins.

We were conducting trade and in the middle of this discussion for the same, it was dark night out, or early morning, an hourglass or so before dawn.

It was raining, and I did not see the subject well at first, I am accustomed to the comings and goings of the goblins by now and could easily tell it wasn't them or a tiger. It was a feminine shape that crested the hill, and I mistook it at first for another visitor to the camp.

Its baleful red eyes and speech gave it's nature away very quickly, and it said I, or we, would become its slave, or its cattle.

It did not spare much words after that and it charged. I used the Gem of Brightness gifted by Acolyte Abbot once, but the vampire was powerful and it was only a glancing blow at best.

Combat ensued, I swung but did little to thwart it's advance and fell. Val, my companion, defended me with magick and held it off till it disappeared, by her account, of its own accord. I was passed out during and only have her account.

Val provided me with a tonic and I was able to crawl away as a ghoul shambled upon us, then. Val beat it back with her blade and I burned it with fire, and it was ended.

The third assailant came in the form of my own shadow, turned against me. It looked more substantial, but still my shadow, only with red eyes akin to that of the vampire. This I stilled with my blades alone, and it caused no real harm, being only a shadow.

The last event came in the form of a thick darkness that settled on the camp. This much I was familiar with, an illusion that causes blindness, I ran into it thinking it would protect me and Val the same as it would anyone attacking from it. But other than hearing a fleeing figure, which I now assume to be the vampire, all was still, and no further attack came.

Due to the use of magick(s), I caused the area around us to end illusions of concealment. We waited a brief time, but the only other visitor that arrived shortly then was a friend whom I know as Atashka, or Lilac.

Atashka herself said she saw the events from the distance of the road, or thereabouts, and came to see what was going on. After we described some of the events she said she recognized the vampire. She described it as one that she'd run afoul of in the Sharpteeth, and that it was once a woman of Beregost, a farmer's daughter, turned by a cult of Bane. Formerly known as Andariel.

I have a suspicion that this was not the first visit by these malevolent forces, as on the 24th day of Hammer, my camp was watched by an unknown subject. That day however, no attack came, and they left after observing a short while.

The next day, the 26th of Hammer, Val returned to the camp with a hunter ally of hers, Heinrich Hellmann. I recounted the events to him, as his goal is the same - to hunt and remove this threat of vampire, or the necromancer that possibly controls it. He did not leave a means of contact.
Last edited by YourMoveHolyMan on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:23 pm

The 26th Day of Hammer

-The Dog returned at breakfast, she ate, but didn't share any counsel. Closest she's gotten so far. She hasn't missed breakfast yet. If she keeps coming back, should give her a name for the ledger.

-Val returned, she brought someone with her this time, a fellow hunter. Shared the telling of yesterday's events again. She filled in what I couldn't. Need to get her full name for the ledger.

-Heinrich Hellmann, he's a hunter, he didn't elaborate, and he didn't have to. Garlic wreaths, holy symbols and the like. He came and asked about the vampire. Told him the full account.

-Renlar Riftwind, and his Snowflake. Woodsman with no birth home. We did our part to thin out the goblins.

-Eli Bilsen of Suzail, Cormyr. Hand to hand combatant, helped me and Renlar with thinning out the goblins.

-Laurio Joriin, of Icewind Dale, warrior.

-Case, a magi from the south. He and Laurio helped thin the goblins, but both were badly wounded. Took them to the Song of the Morning and Lathander brought them back to their roads.

-The large armored man came back, the ill light about him. He passed me near the road and carried on to the ruins without a word, as is his way. I advised my companions of the time to avoid him, they did, and he soon left the same way he came through.

-Lady Miss Abbot Acolyte Alesea Priestess came to the camp. She spoke with Case. She and he both declined breakfast. Not everyone is big on grits.

-An unidentified dwarf and elf visited the camp, and left again.

-Will, who would not give his full name, or where he is from, visited the camp while the vampire returned. He tried to help me fight it, it almost did him in. I chased it off this time. Report to follow.

The following is an account of a vampire's attack, just north of Beregost at Lathander's campsite, maintained by Michael Dunn. A copy of the same was made for the Song of the Morning temple of Beregost.

Andariel, Annie, returned. She caught me unawares and was nearly upon the camp before I realized who or what was coming. It was the same early morning hour as the last time, and she was talking more, so I kept her talking.

She would range between moods of morose regret or anger, not quite rage, over what had become of her. I tried to make reason with the regretful half, tried to offer it a peaceful end. I figured she'd either allow it, she wouldn't, and would attack, or I'd get the grace of our Morninglord's sun to rise.

Talking went well, until Will showed up to the campsite, and that set her off. She launched at him and I did the same to her. This time, however, because of the past experience and training of Acolyte Abbot I was able to run her off. Will almost died, or came close, but I stabilized his wounds and kept him breathing. Eventually he was fine as paint and left to drive off the goblins.

Before that, though, as before, after Andariel fled more undead attacked, under the cover of darkness. I couldn't see until the darkness left but one was a wrapped body, and while in combat with it there was a fear so thick in the air you could almost taste it. It caused Will to flee until the battle's end. I was able to put it down, and the zombie that followed after it's heels.

The sun rose, Andariel had fled again. But this time, I made my stand, and was still standing as the sun over the hills.
Last edited by YourMoveHolyMan on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:21 am

The 27th Day of Hammer

-The vampire returned, but made that account for the previous day as the sun hadn't yet risen, only realized after I penned the account I didn't include her as a visitor in the ledger.

-Case, the magi from Ormen, Nimbral, returned. Was going to return a wand I'd lent him, stayed and talked awhile. Gave me a good idea about marking passage while I'm away.

-Zhar Quantoul, of the house of the same name, from Elttabar, Thay. One of Lord Kahanak's men. He helped put down a goblin that tried to blow up the camp.

-The dog returned. Fed her the bear meat Laurio prepared the previous day. Don't know if it was the meat or the frequent visits, but she actually came up to me to get that. Allowed me to pet her. Best part yet - she stayed. Maybe she could tell how shaken up I was after the attack. I wasn't about to turn away the company. If I can get her to come up north with me, I'll name her. Got one picked out even.

Camp won't be maintained for the rest of today, or the next three. Will leave a scrap of parchment under a clay bowl, see if anyone leaves their mark.

//If any pc or npc so wishes to 1. Visit the campsite (resting place due east of the goblin ruins on 'The Trade Way, N of Beregost', and 2. Inspect the scrap of paper left under the clay bowl and interact with it in some way, it reads thusly:

"Michael Dunn, caretaker of this campsite in the name of Lathander's Light and Goodwill. If you wish to leave note of your passing please sign your name, the current date, and your home town, or leave whatever note you will. Remember, there will always be another Dawn."

If your pc or npc wishes to leave a response on the above, please PM me, instead of posting here. And Michael will react/post the record when he returns. This will be a recurring thing.//
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:48 am

The 30th Day of Hammer

If anyone visited the camp between the 27th, and today, they left no notice of their passing.

The visitors to our camp north of Beregost this day were as follows;

-Arianna, of Luskan, she spoke of her trading, and desire to duel magi. Makes her own clothing, she was rather well dressed. She ate her grits and fish without complaint.

-Zant, of the road he claimed, dark armored man, might have been a priest. He put his mace to some goblin heads and carried on his way.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:24 am

The 31st Day of Hammer

-Luke Darius, of Luskan, spoke of his family and came asking about the vampire. He declined breakfast. Leveled accusations at me and then wouldn't stay to hear my response. Failed his 'test' when I ate breakfast first, like he asked me too.

-Myhun Kren, of Calimport, pleasant company, asked about unusual visitors, which lead us quickly to talk of the vampire. He thinks Atashka might be behind it. I couldn't think of a reason why she would. He pointed out a few reason's why she might.

-Lord Kahanak Habdilof, of Thay, came asking for trade. Had nothing new that interested him.

-Atashka or Lilac, came asking about the vampire. Nothing new to tell her, I didn't say what Myhun spoke of.

-Will of no where returned, he put his spear to the goblins inside the ruins.

-Laurio Joriin, of Icewind Dale, returned. He brought wyrmling meat this time, fed Rain - she seemed to like it.

-Wesmille Groston, of Neverwinter, paid a visit, brought good trade. He looked different somehow, from when I last saw him.

-Hinzel, of Waterdeep, came and shared company, he and Rain Dog shared counsel. He came to ask about the vampire.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:48 pm

The 1st Day of Alturiak

Didn't mind the camp, spent too much timing cooking at the Pathfinders, or fishing for the same.

Least there's no sign of anything disturbed.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:24 am

The 2nd Day of Alturiak

-Only one, before we abandoned. The crazy man with fire hair came close, I didn't ask his name or his purpose. I just watched him. He started by moving back and forth, plucking blades of grass, seemingly without rhyme or reason. Eventually, he would stuff handfuls of this under a nearby scrap of brush. Then he'd continue, and repeat the same. Eventually, he shook his sleeve out on a hill top, and lights came to life. He moved about this in some ritual only he knew, and a great beast of a boar was summoned. I nearly sent Rain off but soon the beast boar was enveloped in blue fire, and disappeared.

He then took a pile of yellowed leaves long dead with the winter, and stuffed those under the brush. And collected more grass. Eventually he stuffed everything he'd hidden into his pockets. He then threw his hat to the ground, and pulled out a book, laying it flat against the earth. I didn't dare see what else the mad man summoned.

I waited til dawn - the vampire hadn't shown and it wouldn't with his Light. And I quickly stashed the tent and supplies. Rain Dog and I prepared to leave but I'd gotten his attention by then. We exchanged gestures and I tried to make clear we just wanted to leave - no trouble. But his took a more hostile look, and by the end we were running. I'd heard magick in the distance behind us, and then a large wolf was coming up the road, we diverted left, it went right. It continued north, but at the crossroad of the Lion's way, it continued north, and us, west.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:35 pm

The 3rd Day of Alturiak

Camp won't be maintained for the rest of today, or the next three. Will leave a scrap of parchment under a clay bowl, like before, see if anyone leaves their mark.

-Alesea Abbot, of Cormyr, came and left a letter, after we'd left that is. Wants me to come to the Song of the Morning for another lesson and another task. Not sure I'm ready for any of the three yet.

//If any pc or npc so wishes to 1. Visit the campsite (resting place due east of the goblin ruins on 'The Trade Way, N of Beregost', and 2. Inspect the scrap of paper left under the clay bowl and interact with it in some way, it reads thusly:

"Michael Dunn, caretaker of this campsite in the name of Lathander's Light and Goodwill. If you wish to leave note of your passing please sign your name, the current date, and your home town, or leave whatever note you will. Remember, there will always be another Dawn."

If your pc or npc wishes to leave a response on the above, please PM me, instead of posting here. And Michael will react/post the record when he returns. This will be a recurring thing.//
Last edited by YourMoveHolyMan on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:42 pm

The 7th Day of Alturiak

-Alexandra Keenan, of Candlekeep, came and dropped off a letter. Hated that we missed her but I'll be sure to let her know it was appreciated.
Last edited by YourMoveHolyMan on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 pm

The 8th Day of Alturiak

-Alexandra Keenan, of Candlekeep, came and paid a visit again after all. Had to disappoint her again as I was too worn out from the Group Tactics Training put on by the Helmites of Nashkel. The training was pretty rewarding, better than I'd hoped at least.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:50 am

The 9th Day of Alturiak

-Tarina Mazir, of Tethyr, she followed Rain Dog and I back to the camp. Was surprised, but grateful, for the company at that hour. She's not used to the rain, if anyone can ever get used to such a thing. Unfortunately being inside the tent allowed the vampire to sneak up on the camp before Rain Dog alerted us to her presence.

-Reznik, not sure from where, and a companion that didn't share much talk arrived and went on into the goblin's warren. Due to Annie's attack I'm not sure if they made it back out again. Hope so.

-Andariel, Annie, returned. If not for Tarina's being there with her fire magic, it might've gone a lot worse, see report below.

-Mirah, traveller who came upon the camp after Annie's depature, she provided some healing supplies for Rain Dog, and then she and her companion scouted the area for signs of the vampire.

-Jimmy, Mirah's companion, the pair arrived on the camp and offered aid. Jimmy seemed like a man accustomed to hard work, or hard living. Offered to put down Rain Dog in my stead. I declined the offer, even as I understood it. Good man.

The following is my account of a vampire's attack, just north of Beregost at Lathander's campsite, maintained by Michael Dunn. A copy of the same was made for the Song of the Morning temple of Beregost.

Rain Dog, Tarina, and I were in the camp, and had settled in for the evening, hard rain. Rain Dog began to growl, so I exited the tent thinking another tiger had made its way in for an ambush. I was wrong, and Annie, the vampire, had returned and in close proximity.

She repeated her warnings that I should leave the camp, or the area. Kept her talking while I threw together a hasty plan with Tarina. I knew she could work fire, and fire does them in just fine. During the talk, two things stood out, that were new. First, the vampire mentioned her mistress, second, she claimed that her mistress' domain would cover this world, and would consume the light. Not long after that, the fight started.

Ordered Rain Dog to leap at her - and bless her heart, but she gave her all. Tarina's fire magicks were what drove Annie off though, but not before we'd all received a few wounds. Rain Dog got the worst of it, claw and teeth marks along her side. Cleaned the wound, but she was terribly cold to the touch, and looked weak. Jimmy and Mirah arrived shortly after, and lent aid.

Tarina and I did the best we could for the initial injury, which was plenty, but Rain Dog was still in a melancholy, and was cold to the touch, except for a warm nose. We turned in for the night with her between us in the tent, to try and keep her warm. Tarina worked some of her spirit magick for Rain Dog, before taking to sleep.

Addendum.

The 10th Day of Alturiak, woke up, Rain Dog looked much better, happier too, her tail was wagging again. Have Tarina to thank for that. Still don't ken her magicks, but if they can do that for my Rain Dog, and what she had done for the Rat Queen - last night it was a godsend.

We took Rain Dog into the Song of the Morning. Acolyte Abbot wasn't there, duty up north with Eldarian. The priest was kind to use a Sending and alert the pair to our need. Disappointingly, Eldarian came alone. He was able to help Rain Dog though, and she's fine as paint again, so there's that.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:06 am

The 10th Day of Alturiak

-Tarina Mazir, of Tethyr, she stayed the night with us, not a new guest, technically, but no one has stayed the night before. Recording for the new dawn, new day. She continued providing aid to Rain Dog, and helped me take her south. See previous day's account.

-Gopi Ironfoot, didn't say where he was from, appeared to be a gnome magi. Fled on the arrival of Alexandra and Martin, no explanation. One shouldn't expect such from a magi, or a gnome.

-Alexandra Keenan, of Candlekeep, paid another visit and she helped Tarina and I take Rain Dog to the Song of the Morning. She's a particular lady. Good heart.

-Martin Ravel, also of Candlekeep, arrived with Alexandra, and also provided aid to Rain Dog and escorted us south to the Song of the Morning.

-Laurio Joriin, of Icewind Dale, returned. He brought goblin meat this time. Rain Dog was sick so wouldn't let him feed her, wouldn't let her eat that regardless. He means well.

-Hinzel, of the DragonWing, returned. He had questions about the vampire's comings and goings, but I needed a private talk with Tarina. Offered to fill him in later for being a poor host.

-Wesmille, of Candlekeep. Arrived as we brought Rain Dog back home, he left with his fellow Keepers.

-Dorne, of the Pathfinders. Finally caught up with him to trade, in the camp so it was rather fitting. Glad folks come to trade. I do miss that.

-Several unnamed men, who either wouldn't speak or were in and out too quick to be spoken to.

-Alesea Abbot, of Cormyr, came on official temple business. Didn't tell her about the vampire, just mentioned that Rain Dog had been hurt.
Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:09 am

The 11th Day of Alturiak

Camp won't be maintained for the rest of today, or the next few. Will leave a scrap of parchment under a clay bowl, like before, see if anyone leaves their mark.

Michael Dunn

YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:22 am

The 13th Day of Alturiak

-Tarina Mazir, of Tethyr, she left her mark in response to a letter I'd left for her a few days prior. The only known visitor while Rain Dog and I were away.
Michael Dunn