Potema - Mist and Shadows

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

GaretAthran

Potema - Mist and Shadows

Unread post by GaretAthran » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:47 am

18 Kythorn 1355 DR

I have taken to sequestering myself in the dormitories in the Church during the day, much like I imagine a vampire might against the cursed rays of the sun.

I suppose I am lucky then that the light merely brings with it a terrible pain behind my eyes and I don't meet a fiery death when I step out into the street.

Small mercies.

Though the longer this persists I might have to reconsider what I consider mercy.

The nightmares have not abated, and at this point I wonder if sleep is worth even the few scant restful periods between starting awake. I always wake up in a cold sweat, fearing that that damned Mist will be there waiting for me when I open my eyes.

I can only hope I can find someone to help explain what is happening to me... Someone who won't turn me away as Candlekeep's Gate Warden had done.

What is she so afraid of?
Potema — Order of the Shooting Star. Occult Investigator. Monster Hunter.

Kamine — Machiavellian Paladin of the Red Knight

GaretAthran

Re: Potema - Mist and Shadows

Unread post by GaretAthran » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 am

20th Kythorn, 1355

These last two days have been eventful.

Since my last entry I have consulted with Professor Faustus at the Thayan Embassy concerning both my nightmares and the headaches, to at least some satisfactory results.

According to the Professor I am "Darktouched," an individual whose being has been altered by contact with the Plane of Shadows. He assures me that such a thing is not entirely out of the ordinary, relatively speaking.

While the process of discovering the truth behind these problems was unpleasant I cannot deny that I take some solace in knowing what is, for lack of a better term, wrong with me. I cannot deny that I feel somewhat shaken, knowing that my soul has been changed by the influence of my Goddess's staunch enemy. The essence of Shar's domain is, for better or worse, within me, and it only seems to be growing more powerful by the day.

I have, as the Professor recommended, been exposing myself to bright lights in an attempt to force my eyes to adapt. My body's sudden push to adapt to what is apparently it's "natural" environment has caused me no end of pain, but if Professor Faustus is correct then with hard work and training I will not only be able to tolerate light as I once did, but even use the umbral essence that has begun to assert itself to my advantage, even learning to traverse the Plane of Shadows by using ordinary shadows as gateways.

I'm unsure of what my fellow Mystrans will think or feel about these new developments, but I know that if I can use these growing powers against Mystra's enemies and threats to the Weave then won't the Goddess forgive me?

I can only pray that's true.

In related matters, the dreams have begun to change, seemingly in conjunction with my "embracing" of these shadow-abilities.

I've begun to see more things past the mist.

It begins as it normally does. I'm a small child, sitting in the back of a wagon, but now I can sense another with me. I look up and see an old woman, her dark olive skin weathered by years I cannot begin to imagine. I can feel her stroking my hair, humming a lulllaby as we watch the mist choked pine forest go by.

Before long the trees clear, and in the distance I can see upon a cliff, a towering castle, its spires reaching up and tearing at the horizon. A familiar fear rises inside of me, but the woman softly hushes me, stroking my cheek.

"Do not be afraid little mierlă," she coos, "we have nothing to fear of the Devil, or the Mists."

And for the first time in weeks, I slept through the night.

In unrelated news, I have taken a position with the Golden Shield, the mercenary arm of the Golden Wheel trading company, as a recruit. Hopefully this will allow me the opportunity to put my growing abilities to the test.
Last edited by GaretAthran on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaretAthran

Unread post by GaretAthran » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:34 am

22nd of Kythorn

My training seems to be paying off.

Last night I wandered the streets and back alleys of Baldur's Gate utterly unnoticed by people even a few feet from me without taking great pains to conceal myself aside from my proximity to areas of darkness. I must admit the sensation of using these abilities offers a certain excitement. A rush. Shadows have lost their insubstantial nature to me, and I've come to be able to feel their presence.

I've taken my practice away from the grounds of the church should it upset any of my brothers and sisters in the faith. But I cannot allow these skills to lie fallow, no matter their origins.

If I don't embrace this part of me, I fear it make rip me apart.

GaretAthran

Unread post by GaretAthran » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Kythorn 25th

My eyesight has gotten better. Much better.

I'm able to see through shadows that would have once left me feeling around in the dark like a blind woman. There's still some mild discomfort from bright lights, but forcing myself to acclimate has definitely paid off.

Learning to embrace the shadows when I wish to avoid detection has started to become second nature to me, as though for all these years I'd been a fish, flopping around on land, and only just being reintroduced to the sea or the river.

My dreams have not ceased, but they're less frightening now. Now, more than dreams I think these might be memories of my years before I was found as a child. I can remember a lullaby, something soft that I can think my mother sang to me before she left me to die lost me. It's amazing how I've lived so many years unconcerned with my origins, only to suddenly feel the ache of someone I can barely remember but for the words of a song, a soft name she whispered to me before waking pulled me into its harsh grasp.

"My little blackbird."