Spell / Scroll / Feat Bugs

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Associate Dev, Developer, DM

DaloLorn

Re: Spell / Scroll / Feat Bugs

Unread post by DaloLorn »

The animations were there, yeah.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Active in Discord.
Notable characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Caili Wender
  • Berred Notter
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Mainda Fennemen
  • Kana Tannard

Mythic Revenant

Unread post by Mythic Revenant »

Posted here from the other thread.

Just tried learning Etherealness via scroll sold at Soubar and it doesn't take. Studying it works fine for all everything it says but it doesn't copy the spell into the spell book. I tried again and it succeeded... again, even taking up known spells slots (which fix itself upon relog). Maybe the spell or the scroll itself is bugged. Have no tried doing this through a player-scribed scroll yet.
Artorias Withermore - The Portends of an Archmage

Hanzo Nakamura - Samurai of the Nakamura Clan

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

feat improved critical whip is missing.

chambordini

Unread post by chambordini »

Theodore01 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 pm
feat improved critical whip is missing.
Does your toon have exotic weapon proficiency?

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Yes i have exotic, could take WSP but not improved Crit whip. The other weapons icrit. choices showed up.

electric mayhem

Unread post by electric mayhem »

Improved Rapid Shot feat is missing from level up screen selectable feat options.
Trying to select it as a fighter bonus list feat.

Conditions: Fighter level 10 (multiclass). BAB 16. Feats known of relevance: Manyshot, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot.

According to the bgtscc wiki page, Improved Rapid Shot is on the selectable bonus feats for Fighters.

Can I please get confirmation that I'm not imagining things and it should be available?
Thanks in advance.

~Claret - Proprietor of Clarity Cellars.
~Wouveir - Hellstorm Crew
~Adolamin Marblerune - Arcane Engineer and Lorekeeper citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak. [His Story]
~Harrison Remillard - Morninglord of the Song of the Morning Temple.

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

severe whip BUG: Wieding a whip and any other weapon in the offhand allows for reach attacks with both weapons. :doh:

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

I've been doing some testing on my wizard, and I'm not sure lesser mind blank/mind blank is functioning properly.

Just now, I went to the Flind hill outside Greenest with my summon in tow(Greater Planar Ally, Ghaele). After warding it with lesser mind blank, I put down a Cloud of Bewilderment to slow down the gnolls and let the summon go to town. When my summon failed it's save, and despite a message in combat log saying my summon was "immune to mind affecting spells", the green stun icon appeared over it's head, and she wandered around uselessly.

On a follow up testing, to make double-sure the last LMB didn't get breached or time-out, I went back and sent the summon up against 4 flinds, hit her with the lesser mind blank, then dropped a Cloud of Bewilderment on the whole group... same result. I recorded an in-game video, I'll post it after it uploads.

Can anyone else test this and see if they get the same thing?

** Edit ** - Submitted a video via PM to the authorities.
dtdnd.neocities.org/books/player/Drow%20of%20the%20Underdark.pdf

zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

Snarfy wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:46 am
I've been doing some testing on my wizard, and I'm not sure lesser mind blank/mind blank is functioning properly.

Just now, I went to the Flind hill outside Greenest with my summon in tow(Greater Planar Ally, Ghaele). After warding it with lesser mind blank, I put down a Cloud of Bewilderment to slow down the gnolls and let the summon go to town. When my summon failed it's save, and despite a message in combat log saying my summon was "immune to mind affecting spells", the green stun icon appeared over it's head, and she wandered around uselessly.

On a follow up testing, to make double-sure the last LMB didn't get breached or time-out, I went back and sent the summon up against 4 flinds, hit her with the lesser mind blank, then dropped a Cloud of Bewilderment on the whole group... same result. I recorded an in-game video, I'll post it after it uploads.

Can anyone else test this and see if they get the same thing?

** Edit ** - Submitted a video via PM to the authorities.
Pretty sure that it is not a bug.

Cloud of Bewilderment has the descriptor tag Gas. Per the spell's description, creatures within the gas are blinded and stunned. And the effect lingers for a short while after leaving the area (1 round). All of this makes it a non-mind-influencing spell. It is, literally the gas itself that causes the effects, not the spell itself. The gas might have been produced by a spell, but once released, the gas is just another part of the world.

Mind-influecing spells, such as Daze, have the descriptor tag Mind-Affecting. This is because the spell actively targets the mind of whomever the spell is cast upon. The effect the spell creates is dazing.

Or to put it another way. You are putting a helmet on (Mind Blank) to avoid getting knocked silly out by a blow to the head (Daze), but somone throws a flashbang (Cloud of Bewilderment) at you instead that makes you unable to see (Blinded) and unable to react (Stunned) until it wears off.
Adrian Baker - An innocent virtuoso (bio | journal)
Relyth Ravan'Thala - Bear of an Elf
Reginald McRuff - Wall of Mirabar
Timothy Daleson - Paladin Wand Maker
Cane D'astaro - In service to the Red Knight (Retired)

Dagesh
Custom Content

Unread post by Dagesh »

Hey Shnarf,
according to the wiki, it's vs. a fort save. So it's more like a poison than a mind-affecting spell? The spell school is evocation as well. From what I can see, mind blank won't help here. *shrugs*
ουκ εστιν ωδε, ηγερθη γαρ καθως ειπεν

PCs:
Rorick Runegraph (Check out Rorick's Rune of Light)
Ckalthea Chenfur
Aeric
Squire Brevin of Lathander

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

zhazz wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Cloud of Bewilderment has the descriptor tag Gas. Per the spell's description, creatures within the gas are blinded and stunned. And the effect lingers for a short while after leaving the area (1 round). All of this makes it a non-mind-influencing spell. It is, literally the gas itself that causes the effects, not the spell itself. The gas might have been produced by a spell, but once released, the gas is just another part of the world.

Mind-influecing spells, such as Daze, have the descriptor tag Mind-Affecting. This is because the spell actively targets the mind of whomever the spell is cast upon. The effect the spell creates is dazing.

Or to put it another way. You are putting a helmet on (Mind Blank) to avoid getting knocked silly out by a blow to the head (Daze), but somone throws a flashbang (Cloud of Bewilderment) at you instead that makes you unable to see (Blinded) and unable to react (Stunned) until it wears off.
I get your reasoning... but, I've been talking with two of the best darn mage players that have probably ever played on this server(Invoker and Ravial), and both of their reactions to the gameplay video I recorded were "WTF?!", and to say that something was messed up, more or less. Believe me when I say that if these two players say that something caster-related is broken, then it's probably broken.
Dagesh wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:02 pm
Hey Shnarf,
according to the wiki, it's vs. a fort save. So it's more like a poison than a mind-affecting spell? The spell school is evocation as well. From what I can see, mind blank won't help here. *shrugs*

HELLO SIR! :dance:

And I quote(a certain retired wizard expert):
A 2nd Circle spell that has a TOTAL CONTROL effect in a cloud and you CANNOT prevent it, is ******* broken
... :lol: For reals, this spell is no joke for a high DC caster. And it has zero counters. Go and play with some combos, and you'll know what I mean.

zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

Snarfy wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:10 pm
zhazz wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:23 pm

I get your reasoning... but, I've been talking with two of the best darn mage players that have probably ever played on this server(Invoker and Ravial), and both of their reactions to the gameplay video I recorded were "WTF?!", and to say that something was messed up, more or less. Believe me when I say that if these two players say that something caster-related is broken, then it's probably broken.
Dagesh wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:02 pm
Hey Shnarf,

HELLO SIR! :dance:

And I quote(a certain retired wizard expert):
A 2nd Circle spell that has a TOTAL CONTROL effect in a cloud and you CANNOT prevent it, is ******* broken
... :lol: For reals, this spell is no joke for a high DC caster. And it has zero counters. Go and play with some combos, and you'll know what I mean.
If you are immune to Poison, you should be immune to the Stun part of it. Freedom of Movement possibly works as well. Immunity to Blindness could likely remove the Blind part of it.

And there's a reason why the game tips mention: "Don't underestimate the power of a well-placed low level spell!"
Even a simple Grease spell can be devestating, if the target fail their saving throw :D
Adrian Baker - An innocent virtuoso (bio | journal)
Relyth Ravan'Thala - Bear of an Elf
Reginald McRuff - Wall of Mirabar
Timothy Daleson - Paladin Wand Maker
Cane D'astaro - In service to the Red Knight (Retired)

Dagesh
Custom Content

Unread post by Dagesh »

The counter, in this case, is the fort save. It won't work against a number of builds I know but great against other casters.

PCs:
Ckalthea Chenfur
Aeric

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

zhazz wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:27 pm
If you are immune to Poison, you should be immune to the Stun part of it. Freedom of Movement possibly works as well. Immunity to Blindness could likely remove the Blind part of it.

And there's a reason why the game tips mention: "Don't underestimate the power of a well-placed low level spell!"
Even a simple Grease spell can be devestating, if the target fail their saving throw :D
Immunity to poison(a druid spell of some sort?) and blindness(blind-fight.. and uhh, I dunno) would be exceptionally difficult/rare for most characters to have as a counter. Freedom of movement is also not a wizard spell, but I'll try and test it... although, the Ghaele has that on her own(I cant remember if she cast it, don't think so).

"Power of a well placed low level spell" disclaimers aside... this makes that Cloud like a circle 8 or 9 spell :lol: If you want to see how ridiculous OP it can be, shoot me a tell in game(toon is Mhaenal), and I'll show you how ridonkulous it is. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find any counter.

* edit* - (I haven't been able to test Protection Vs/Circle of Protection spells because, like an idiot, I make poor alignment choices... TN)
Dagesh wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:30 pm
The counter, in this case, is the fort save. It won't work against a number of builds I know but great against other casters.
By itself... pshhh, probably easy to counter, yes. But when used in combination with other spells is where it has the possibility to dominate. I mean, I'm happy to have a level 2 spell that can wreck shop, but that doesn't mean it should be this strong. Like I said though, I'll fart around with it and see what I find.
Last edited by Snarfy on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dagesh
Custom Content

Unread post by Dagesh »

So it has 3 checks to go through before being successful. First is Spell Resistance. If that fails, then it makes a fortitude save check. After that it checks for poison immunity. If all those on the creature in the area of effect, they will be stunned and blinded.

This info is based on the spell code.

PCs:
Ckalthea Chenfur
Aeric