Public QC request thread - want something tested out?

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Sun Wukong

Public QC request thread - want something tested out?

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

chad878262 wrote:
Tsidkenu wrote:Iirc those black market stall flails cannot be finessed, not even the off-hand ones and therefore are only of use to Str based weaponmasters.
Whoops... Someone asked me to test the off-hand flails to see if they are finessable and I forgot about it... Probably need to make a Thread where players can post testing requests so it is easier for me to keep track of them. :oops:
Also, do the off hand flails work with Power Attack?
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Re: Public QC request thread - want something tested out?

Unread post by chad878262 »

Tagged to follow. Would be nice if this can be stickied as well, so going forward if questions arise in other threads the community can be directed to one place to put requests in for testing.

thanks,
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Akroma666

Unread post by Akroma666 »

Would like to know if flails can be weapon finessed while we're at it. For duel wilding.
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Druegar Grizzleclaw - The Mountain Ruin Tsar
Akroma Thuul - The Creepy Enchanter
Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane
Jamie Dawnbringer - The Light in the Darkness
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

could it short flail so we know it is a small one like short sword?
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

D8 flails cannot be finessed (that I already know). It's the d6 ones that cause some confusion because they have the stats of a short sword (d6, 19-20x2, piercing). I'm pretty sure they were added simply because you cannot dual wield d8 flails (cannot be equipped in the off-hand), but the d6 ones you can.
Wandering_Woodsman

Unread post by Wandering_Woodsman »

Would like to have solid confirmation (no rumors, but actual hard facts) as to whether or not True Sight works against/counters natural stealth abilities, or other methods of concealment.

Back in the day of my PC guardsmanship on another server, this was a source of debate that none could or would pin down one way or the other.

Additionally, does this only break the visual aspect of stealth, and not the silent movement?

Put simply, how does someone pin down someone trying to be sneaky, using various methods that counter either one or both aspects of stealth (hide/move silently) or magical concealments (do you still hear someone sneaking around when invisible?)

That sort of thing would, to me, be of interest in verifying.
"Now see, that's good information there. For a second, I thought you'd just met a chicken god."

Toman Ironarm
- Blacksmith of the Phoenix Company

You know, only on the Coast would that have needed to be said. :?
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

invis does not negate MS checks not sure if the update to it allows listen checks to show the target or not, ras or valefort will probably have to say - but if DMs are around with NPCs they will definitely use listen checks if you try to use invis to sneak by someone

true seeing should not and is not suppose to auto spot normal stealth, thats some stupid typo in the description that has yet to be fixed - the debate comes from if you have magical concealments that true seeing would spot but are using normal stealth also if you would still get caught

true seeing was suppose to have been changed to work against mirrors and displacement, but again ras or valefort would probably need to say, ras said it was changed when we were talking about one of the spells but i cant remember what
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

True seeing has no interaction with stealth whatsoever. Currently there are no listen checks for creatures that cannot be seen (because of invisibility or etheral spells).

To detect someone being sneaky there is spot and listen, that's it.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

About the off hand flails, do those work with Duelist's extra piercing damage?
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
7threalm
Retired Staff

Unread post by 7threalm »

does night time effect the spot skill?

we all know spotters with 80 spot/listen will always find a sneaker, is there anyway to beat this?
1d20 roll to beat the rolls every so often

hide/ms caps at what 99?

perhaps a system where sneaker have a better chance at nightime vs 80+ spotter/listener

I feel in the rp game sneakers get the short end of the stick :(

just my opinion

13 slots x +4 = 52 +33(skill points) = 85

thats not even counting on the spells etc
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)

Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
chad878262
QC Coordinator

7threalm wrote:does night time effect the spot skill?
It does in the sense that you don't get the penalty you would get during the day time, unless you are near a light source.
7threalm wrote:we all know spotters with 80 spot/listen will always find a sneaker, is there anyway to beat this?
The only way you get an opposing hide/move silently d20 roll against their spot/listen is if they are toggled hostile. If they are neutral the spotter gets to roll, but the sneak does not. Frustrating as this is, it's a part of the hard coded mechanics from what I have been told in the past.
7threalm wrote:hide/ms caps at what 99?
I once accidentally learned a bug that stacked bonuses and got hide/ms to 100 and nothing spotted me, at the time Rock Beasts would occasionally spot me in Nashkel (at least one would spot me every time I went there) and none of them did, which makes me think you can go over 100. I also recall being told by one player that they had hide/move silently in the 1-teen's or twenty's (I forget) and that whatever people say about it rolling over past 100 is a myth, but I can't say from personal experience.
7threalm wrote:13 slots x +4 = 52 +33(skill points) = 85
Good luck getting +4 in all 13 slots...but even if you did the skill bonus cap is 50.

I agree with most everything you state, though it's better now than it was before the hell store. The biggest fixable issue IMO is the somewhat arbitrary area stealth penalties that still exist and should be removed. There is enough core/hard coded penalties to stealth that we should not need additional penalties outside of guild halls and such. Valefort or Rasael could confirm, but I am fairly certain much of what you are requesting is hard coded and can't be changed.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

chad878262
QC Coordinator

Comments Only wrote:Also, do the off hand flails work with Power Attack?
Comments Only wrote:Iirc those black market stall flails cannot be finessed, not even the off-hand ones and therefore are only of use to Str based weaponmasters.
Akroma666 wrote: Would like to know if flails can be weapon finessed while we're at it. For duel wilding.
Comments Only wrote:About the off hand flails, do those work with Duelist's extra piercing damage?
Just putting all the testing requests for flails in one spot. I have to make a day trip for work tomorrow so it will probably be Wednesday at earliest before I can do this. It does require a DM to oversee as they need to give me a light flail or money to buy one from the Blushing Mermaid in order to run the tests.

Blackman D
Retired Staff

7threalm wrote:does night time effect the spot skill?
there are lots of normal engine modifiers to stealth and detection equally

daytime gets a +5 spot
nighttime gets a +5 hide

however its possible to negate nighttime bonus to stealth with lowlight or darkvision or any light source where the stealth bonus is negated within range, so 60ft lowlight, 120ft darkvision and various light source ranges

most know about the +5 listen bonus for standing still

move slightly has bonuses and penalties depending on the type of tile you are walking on - soft tiles like grass and dirt give a +5 and hard tiles give a -5; there is also a -5 for moving and -10 for running (those with the stealth run feat like rangers and WS)

there are more but those are the common ones
K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

chad878262 wrote:
7threalm wrote:we all know spotters with 80 spot/listen will always find a sneaker, is there anyway to beat this?
The only way you get an opposing hide/move silently d20 roll against their spot/listen is if they are toggled hostile. If they are neutral the spotter gets to roll, but the sneak does not. Frustrating as this is, it's a part of the hard coded mechanics from what I have been told in the past.
That means they get to add a d20 to their skill rank and whatever bonuses they might have while the sneak just gets no roll?

Interesting points Blackman
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
Blackman D
Retired Staff

stealth apparently gets one d20 roll when you enter stealth and thats it while passive detection gets 1? per round i think and active detection gets 5

Return to “Bug Reports and Mechanical Issues”