Eldritch Blast Spell penetration

It Does What It Says on the Tin: Resolved Issues

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Infra

Eldritch Blast Spell penetration

Unread post by Infra »

According to the wiki : "[...] unmodified Eldritch Blasts of +10d6 damage or more skip the Spell Resistance. In addition, the Vitriolic Blast Essence innately does not have a Spell Resistance check."

Once I've unlocked the 10d6 blast, I went and tested this on drow npc in Oghrann Ruins. Regardless of the type of blast I used, Normal, Spear, Chain, Brimstone, Hellrime or Repelling, they were still subject to Spell Resistance and doing so, avoiding almost all of the blasts. I know vitriolic Blast works as indicated in the wiki, but for the sake of diversity, I really hope this is a bug that isn't hard-coded...

Thanks,

-Infra
“Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.”
― Mark Lawrence
wangxiuming

Re: Eldritch Blast Spell penetration

Unread post by wangxiuming »

I believe the bug is that 10d6 blasts originally bypassed SR. Things are working as intended now. The Wiki should be updated.
Infra

Unread post by Infra »

Really...?

I mean, it can't be intended to only have "acid" warlocks mechanically playable.
“Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.”
― Mark Lawrence
wangxiuming

Speaking as someone who mains a CL30 warlock, I have rarely run into spell-resistance issues with my non-acid blasts, PVE-wise. I have Vitriolic blast just in case, but my blasts hit most bosses without too much trouble - and if I do have trouble, I bring a wand of assay resistance. I rarely need to use it except against a few bosses though.

I can't speak to PVP though.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

A warlock build can get their CL up above 30 by utilizing the Spell Penetration feats. Some Epic mobs do have SR, so even if you make a 25 CL Warlock, the SP feats can do wonders for your PC.

Also, Spell Penetration does sometimes show up on Items. I have a Ring with it, for example.

Trust me though, if Warlocks didn't have SR checks on their Invocations, the Class would completely dominate, which in a way it already does.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Infra

Unread post by Infra »

I must say your responses are quite reassuring in a way. My warlock is currently 22 and I'm having a lot of issues with SR monsters, which are most of the monsters of my level in Underdark, but I guess that might go away once I'm higher.

I didn't plan any Spell penetration feat since I was relying on the information of the wiki about the 10d6, and the one that says that warlock only get 50% of any spell pen bonus.

Now that I know, I might save some gold and buy the epic warlock staff with the Spell pen feat.
― Mark Lawrence
Kaeldre

Unread post by Kaeldre »

Steve wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:22 am A warlock build can get their CL up above 30 by utilizing the Spell Penetration feats. Some Epic mobs do have SR, so even if you make a 25 CL Warlock, the SP feats can do wonders for your PC.
According to the wiki, the game uses half of the warlocks caster level to penetrate Spell Resistance. This includes any bonuses from feats like spell penetration. In essence, this means that a level 30 warlock with all spell penetration feats will have 18 cl against spell resistance checks. I assume that the practised invoker feat is not affected by this, which means that you cap out on 22 cl. How are you able to push that any further?
Lilith, The Sorceress
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

Jhael, The Betrayer
"To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it"

J'hannis, The Devout
"To embrace apathy is to be marked by death"
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

However, unmodified Eldritch Blasts of +10d6 damage or more skip the Spell Resistance. In addition, the Vitriolic Blast Essence innately does not have a Spell Resistance check.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
wangxiuming

Kaeldre wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:15 am According to the wiki, the game uses half of the warlocks caster level to penetrate Spell Resistance.
Steve wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:03 am
However, unmodified Eldritch Blasts of +10d6 damage or more skip the Spell Resistance.
These bugs have been fixed on BG. The BG Wiki should be updated - I believe the warlock entry is taken straight from the nwn2wiki, which is not 100% accurate to this server.

Edit: I went ahead and updated the note on the BG wiki.

Return to “Solved Problems”