HDM voting

For Guidance, Questions, or Concerns Relating to Server Rules and Forum Rules

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Akroma666

HDM voting

Unread post by Akroma666 »

Not sure this goes here, but i would like to suggest we vote on new HDMs every 6 months from the pool of DMs.

I think this will allow for changing of the guards if needed and at the same time, preservation if we enjoy a HDM. I realize the job is probably as thankless as a moderator as you are the focal point of endless complaints, I just thought this would be a great solution to helping the community drive the server direction.

Thoughts?
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Druegar Grizzleclaw - The Mountain Ruin Tsar
Akroma Thuul - The Creepy Enchanter
Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane
Jamie Dawnbringer - The Light in the Darkness
Tantive

Re: HDM voting

Unread post by Tantive »

How would a player have any insight into the proper position of a HDM, if they are ignorant of everything happening behind the veil? A constant rotation of responsibilities just seems to be a recipe for a DM Team to become inconsistant in ruling, determined by largely a vocal popularity contest.
Elyssa Symbaern - Bladesinger
Isioviel Fereyn - Elven Ranger
Charisa Flomeigne - Scion of Siamorphe
flipside43

Unread post by flipside43 »

Terrible idea. Players don't see the DM boards let alone how the DMs are when they are not on the client running an event for them. Too limited a view to make a proper decision.
Luke Darius - Clansman of House Darius, Noble of Baldur's Gate
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

I wouldn't want to make a popularity contest out of something that requires you to be impopulair for the good of the server at times.
Bruce Wayne: People are dying, Alfred. What would you have me do?

Alfred Pennyworth: Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of Batman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Akroma666

Tantive wrote:How would a player have any insight into the proper position of a HDM, if they are ignorant of everything happening behind the veil? A constant rotation of responsibilities just seems to be a recipe for a DM Team to become inconsistant in ruling, determined by largely a vocal popularity contest.
Just like a player must make a application to become a DM, why not make a public application to become a HDM?
Tantive wrote:How would a player have any insight into the proper position of a HDM, if they are ignorant of everything happening behind the veil? A constant rotation of responsibilities just seems to be a recipe for a DM Team to become inconsistant in ruling, determined by largely a vocal popularity contest.
That's the point.. some of these rules change the wrong direction.. need I bring up the PvP ruling again? or something I can relate too, the horrendous over policing of the suggestion forums by the moderation team.. some rules are productive to the server. People make mistakes, sometimes they become so blind to them, they just keep drinking the koolaid. At the end of the day I like the simple rules:

1. Have Fun!
2. Don't cheat
3. Don't be a Jerk
4. Treat other how you want to be treated
5. Vote Bloodlust 2018
Last edited by Akroma666 on Mon May 22, 2017 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Israe

Unread post by Israe »

Did you just compare HDM's to Batman?

Not cool.

HDM's are 10x more bad (hiney) than Batman.
Zanniej wrote:I wouldn't want to make a popularity contest out of something that requires you to be impopulair for the good of the server at times.
Bruce Wayne: People are dying, Alfred. What would you have me do?

Alfred Pennyworth: Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of Batman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

The biggest issue I see is that HDM is not necessarily a heavily coveted position and may be more about who agrees to take on the mantle vs. multiple DMs vying for the title. In addition, changing HDM's every 6 months would cause a great deal of upheaval and make it more difficult for the Campaign Coordinators to ensure continuity with server meta-plots.

In any case, I think it's worthwhile consideration, but in practice it may not be so simple as a vote and all the worlds problems are resolved. Hitler was elected by a vote, as was Trump, as was the French Prime Minister (though I think they just got rid of her and now have a new one?) and Nixon and many others that perhaps weren't the best option. Add to this the extra work Zanniej and others would have to do to ensure one person is not voting a hundred times with different forum logins and it just seems like a lot of effort for no real gain.

I think our HDM's since I have been on the server have done very well with a difficult role, including the current ones. Voting or no, roughly half of the player base is going to disagree with most major decisions so not sure it would provide any long term benefit and, in fact may detract from the server since you may have DMs / HDMs playing more at politics when votes are coming in rather than working for the long term benefit of the server.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Calodan

Unread post by Calodan »

Bad idea. Not designed to be a democracy just like the military is not designed to one.

Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
flipside43

Unread post by flipside43 »

First off Akroma, the changes to the rules were most likely done (as I can attest to in the past is how they have been done) by the entire team, not the HDM. So your point holds little merit.

Secondly, what is it that you think the HDM's do Akroma? I am a former HDM, I retired in January, so i'd be happy to clarify from my own experience.
Luke Darius - Clansman of House Darius, Noble of Baldur's Gate
JCVD1

Unread post by JCVD1 »

How about a player "council" that has access to DM content minus the disciplinary crap?
They can'T be in a faction, they cannot be known to be friends with the DMs in place or have been a DM previously.

The Members would be elected by players, not DMs. These players, would be voting in the DM and HDM processus and held to the same level of discretion as to the identity of those DMs.

It is the same as being a DM, minus the decision power and IG DMing. An input from players that are in the game more directly. Their "jobs" would be like moderators between players and DMs and would deal with the day to day requests.

Filtering the "Well I want ma ork to have wings and be pretty and fart rainbowz" is easy and fast, and would allow DMs to focus on DMing.

I personally would gladly step down as guild leader and guild member, RcR my Red Wizard to do this.
Kiran

Unread post by Kiran »

All of this is dumb, dumb and dumber.

I trust the Global admins and HDM's, else I would not be on the server.

Most the rules they have to implement is to protect the few idiots out there, imagine if we gave those people now power to vote? Narh, all against it.
Player of:

Damian Pascal, - Run away/dead. - Background - Corruption from Within
Amenthes Serb, Knight - Gone missing/Supposed dead Background
Tamzim Renima, mercenary - Handed over to the fist. Background
Kiran, Golden Wheel - Presumed dead
Althalous Fenwick, Paladin of Mystra. - A memory lost
Akroma666

JCVD1 wrote:How about a player "council" that has access to DM content minus the disciplinary crap?
They can'T be in a faction, they cannot be known to be friends with the DMs in place or have been a DM previously.

The Members would be elected by players, not DMs. These players, would be voting in the DM and HDM processus and held to the same level of discretion as to the identity of those DMs.

It is the same as being a DM, minus the decision power and IG DMing. An input from players that are in the game more directly. Their "jobs" would be like moderators between players and DMs and would deal with the day to day requests.

Filtering the "Well I want ma ork to have wings and be pretty and fart rainbowz" is easy and fast, and would allow DMs to focus on DMing.

I personally would gladly step down as guild leader and guild member, RcR my Red Wizard to do this.
Even better idea. I would gladly do the same , with any and all of my characters.
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Akroma666 wrote:
1. Have Fun!
2. Don't cheat
3. Don't be a Jerk
4. Treat other how you want to be treated
5. Vote Bloodlust 2018
Dude, you prove the point on favoritism with your own posts! Even if there is humor behind it!

If all you friends are being jerks, are you going to go along with them, or put a stop to it? Would you even be able to distinguish them being jerks...you know, the forest from the trees?!?

Rules exist in written form as clear and definitive as can be so others jerks can't interpret them to their own advantage.

Like in the past, on BGTSCC.

I know people get livid when I say things like the following, but your speaking out of ignorance, having never been a DM, or a HDM. And even then, there is ignorance of what the Admins know (and what they have to deal with).

Overall, I think you'd get more traction if you wrote the Admins a letter stating your observations of why the current HDMs are not working in your opinion, and let the Admins decide what to do.
Last edited by Steve on Mon May 22, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

Of course. Here you go..

***Race changed to sun elf***
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

I am personally in full support of the HDM and all administrative entities of this server. i TRUST they always consider the well being of EVERY PLAYER. I also trust that if they feel that if their own judgement is compromised by one thing or another, that peers inside that group would aire the concern if self assessment fails.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

Return to “Rules”