Remove "What spell doesn't exist IG, doesn't exist either."

For Guidance, Questions, or Concerns Relating to Server Rules and Forum Rules

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Hoihe

Remove "What spell doesn't exist IG, doesn't exist either."

Unread post by Hoihe »

This ruling greatly inhibits scholastic wizard roleplay, as even with the additional spells implemented, the only spells that exist according to this are combat focused spells.

Wizards make research into many fields, not just combat.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Archive

Re: Remove "What spell doesn't exist IG, doesn't exist eithe

Unread post by Archive »

Just in case someone misunderstands it, I believe Hoihe is trying to convey that the ruling should only say the spells require DMs around to use, not that "Spells that do not exist in the game do not exist." (Barring cantrips that don't affect others.)
The difference is that in one case, the spell is to be treated as not existing entirely; in the other, that they can exist in lore and knowledge and maybe even your spellbook, but you're not to use them without supervision.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Archive wrote:Just in case someone misunderstands it, I believe Hoihe is trying to convey that the ruling should only say the spells require DMs around to use, not that "Spells that do not exist in the game do not exist." (Barring cantrips that don't affect others.)
The difference is that in one case, the spell is to be treated as not existing entirely; in the other, that they can exist in lore and knowledge and maybe even your spellbook, but you're not to use them without supervision.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Exactly. Playing a high lore/spellcraft mage with interest in making IG books or at least forum texts for CK forum, being unable to reference semi-obscure "X's Y that does Z" as an argument or talking point inhibits the reason people pick wizards over sorcerers.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

I raised this once before. You can read that debate here and, if requested, I can merge these two topics now that the discussion is active once again.
Metro-Gnome

Unread post by Metro-Gnome »

You don't want to let Enzo cast wish.
Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It’s harsh and cruel. That’s why there’s us... We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be.
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

Spells that are not in game have not been invented yet. Spell Casting characters can invent spells, however, they cannot be cast without a DM present to facilitate it if they are not in game. Once the appropriate research RP has been documented and the DM team has approved the spell, a spell can be suggested to be added in game.

You can research spells directly from PnP, but you will do so at your own risk. These spells, and other custom spells that the developers create, are subject to be added into the game at any time. If you are currently RPing researching a spell that is from PnP, your RP may be lost if they are added in for general use. Research these on your character at your own risk.

------------------------------

How does that sound? I think it sounds fair, personally.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

metaquad4 wrote:Spells that are not in game have not been invented yet. Spell Casting characters can invent spells, however, they cannot be cast without a DM present to facilitate it if they are not in game. Once the appropriate research RP has been documented and the DM team has approved the spell, a spell can be suggested to be added in game.

You can research spells directly from PnP, but you will do so at your own risk. These spells, and other custom spells that the developers create, are subject to be added into the game at any time. If you are currently RPing researching a spell that is from PnP, your RP may be lost if they are added in for general use. Research these on your character at your own risk.

------------------------------

How does that sound? I think it sounds fair, personally.

Puts magical research into a very childish position. We only have combat spells in game when quite a few utility/QoL spells exist.
Face

Unread post by Face »

Think i got a idea how this would work out.
But can some one give me a example any way?
#onlyorclivesmatter.
Be hin be great
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

this is forum RP. without DM supervision this takes the game out of the hands of the ones that have it and puts it into the players. you can try to do anything you want, but the players do not have to react to made up spells. and the setting and environment will not reflect the invented spell. no matter how minor it may seem.

it would be like me RPing that i have a pet quickling. you cant see it because its too fast. but too me it is there. nobody else has to RP that i have this pet and only a dm can represent this as being so in game.

without a dm anything like this is only as real as the players wish to play it and can be nixed in an instant by any DM at any moment. and there is nothing you can do about it.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

There has never been a Rule that prohibits Spells being put in-game, either.

And, there are more and more non-combat spells entering the Game. Take Dry/Rinse cantrips, for example. There are also very cool Omen of Peril and like spells, that give yuuuuge RP possibilities, in and out of DM oversight.

Perhaps whatever Manifestation of Hoihe you are playing now can work toward the RP-basedcreation of a spell, and some awesome Dev would be gracious in actually creating it!

How about THAT with a cherry on top?!?

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Rather than custom spells, characters investing in time toward introduction of spells that are in the source books but not in game would be my preference going forward rather than handling and balancing too many house rules than ones already set from base.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Check with the DMs first if they're fine with said new spell being added to the game, then technically scripters can try to do something after a QC pass.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler

Return to “Rules”