Pickpocket and PVP Consent

For Guidance, Questions, or Concerns Relating to Server Rules and Forum Rules

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Rask
Recognized Donor

Pickpocket and PVP Consent

Unread post by Rask »

I had an encounter on the server with someone pickpocket'd my character. Whatever, that's fine. He just kept repeatedly bumping into them. So my character went "Can you stop bumping into me? Or are you doing something sneaky." To which they replied "I already did, check your pockets" and sure enough the log showed -100GP (Which seems like a very lucky pocket roll lol.)

But anyways, would this be considered a hostile action that could result in PVP, or not? My character being a Lawful Evil, under the (I guess now old?) PVP rules would be well within their rights, IC to lay the smack down for it.

I just would like some clarification, because if I am in the wrong I owe someone an apology :lol:

Because I definitely knocked them on their (hiney) for stealing.
Rennec Rokranon, Chosen of Helm, Retired for now
Isra Wynterborne, Necromancer Hunter
Rask, The Lich, Retired
S.Ravenpath, collector an author of tall tales.
Nathka Blacksand - Khazark of the Enclave
Richter Bedevere - The Reveler and enjoyer of fine wines
kkrazlite

Re: Pickpocket and PVP Consent

Unread post by kkrazlite »

Um. . . So someone just picked your pockets. . .

I think that mean's you blast their's. . .
Royalty? No it was simply an Election.

Player 1 Select Your Character:

Lo' - The Waunderer of Shou Lung

Aeb'el - Lord Cold Circle, Temple of the Great Blizzard
Sputnik

Unread post by Sputnik »

My God man! Of course you are within the rules to beat that (hiney).
:lol: :lol:

You have nothing to worry about.
Francis 'Frank' Waynn - City Watch Recruit
Tytos Lyonson - Ebon Blade Sergeant
Vaelen - Proprietor of Derringer Mercantile, hedge-wizard, politician
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

PvP Rules wrote:
- Certain actions can indicate hostile intent and a valid consent to PvP. This includes casting spells, drawing weapons, resting, or using stealth mode (such as Hide in Plain Sight) during hostilities; or pickpocketing or performing a suspicious action towards another character. To prevent this, do not do these actions at all, or clearly and truthfully indicate that the action is done for non-hostile purposes (such as leaving the area).
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

Sounds like a bit of punishment needs to be administered... :twisted:
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Rask
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Rask »

Tsidkenu wrote:
PvP Rules wrote:
- Certain actions can indicate hostile intent and a valid consent to PvP. This includes casting spells, drawing weapons, resting, or using stealth mode (such as Hide in Plain Sight) during hostilities; or pickpocketing or performing a suspicious action towards another character. To prevent this, do not do these actions at all, or clearly and truthfully indicate that the action is done for non-hostile purposes (such as leaving the area).

Thank you, The rules have changed a bit since I had last looked at them, and that was my bad. But I had assumed Pickpocket would be a hostile action. Especially if someone blatantly tells you they just did it :lol:. I have read over the rules a little better now, I didn't realize they had changed so much but at least that rule has not changed.

I tried to talk to the person OOC to maybe come to an agreement since he seemed extremely upset by what happened, but it didn't go well, so i'll leave it at that and wash my hands of the hole thing. I left the door open if he wants to talk to me and maybe create some RP out of it.
Rask, The Lich, Retired
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Are you accounting for all details?
Rask
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Rask »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:Are you accounting for all details?
As far as I saw, yeah. I mean other than things I am not mentioning here because I don't want to call someone out on the forums at all nor do I want anyone to be made to look bad. Honestly it would be great if the other party called the guards on my character and made some RP out of it. :lol:

I just wanted to know if I had made a mistake in how I played this IC, or not. As the rules have changed a bit since I played as much as I have been recently and I wasn't aware of it until someone got really upset at me. So I thought I would clarify.
Rask, The Lich, Retired
Aspect of Sorrow

Rask wrote:Honestly it would be great if the other party called the guards on my character and made some RP out of it.
Did you cast spells near a guard in a spell restricted area, or give the player an RP out option?
Rask
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Rask »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:
Rask wrote:Honestly it would be great if the other party called the guards on my character and made some RP out of it.
Did you cast spells near a guard in a spell restricted area, or give the player an RP out option?

this was the core of my question, why I was asking if he pick pockets me, and then says he did it, does this constitute a hostile action? It seems the rules say they do.

I did cast spells in the Fai, but the guards were not right near. I actually fully expected him to call the guards when he "woke up" but no RP ensued unfortunately. Just a lot of unfortunate OOC so I just walked away from it, also the server crashed shortly after. Keep in mind my character is evil, so it wasn't out of her realm RP wise to seek justice for the theft. He also admitted to the theft, right there in the same area the PVP took place. If my spell casting attracted guards, so would him openly speaking of stealing from me. ( I only cast 1 spell at melee range, it wasn't some earth shaking fury either. )

I did attempt to contact him once the server was back up, but received nothing but vitriol and name-calling which I won't repeat here, in front of a packed Nexus some witnesses of whom are posting in this very thread. So I offered him to RP it, and call guards, whatever and we can go back to the same spot, but he did not want to do that unfortunately, so as I said, just walked away from the whole thing and am just going to pretend it never happened as he seems to have no interest in speaking to me at all, at least not in a worthwhile/adult manner. (As in both of my offers to RP it out were met with angry curse-words.)

I came here more for the rules clarification as the PVP rules have changed since I looked at them last, I noticed because I came here to check to see if I was in the wrong as he was extremely angry, and didn't notice a specific spot about pickpocket. But it's been pointed out here in this thread now.

If he still wishes to speak to me, or has calmed down, and wants to RP the situation out from when I knocked him out, the offer I gave him is still on the table. He can PM me or talk to me in game. I don't see any reason it needed to be handled outside of IC at all. I play along with pretty much everything outside of people using exploits (I've even allowed DM's to perma-kill 2 of my Characters ). He had many options after it happened, he instead chose to act in extremely vulgar ways OOC. But this discussion of he-said-she-said is not what this thread was intended for. If anyone wants to know more about that part they can PM me.
Rask, The Lich, Retired
Aspect of Sorrow

In lore, there are guards on those walls. I suspect a few locally exchanged words doesn't quite match the audio-visual of a spell filching response.
flipside43

Unread post by flipside43 »

If you were inside the FAI (inside the walls) then it's godmodding to cast spells as it represents a guarded area (and there is or was entry rules about thumb loops and peace bounding weapons). If you were outside the walls, away from the drawbridge, then it's fine. Of course if you get a DM willing to work the scene, it's not godmodding as the NPCs can react. It's a bit of an awkward situation if it was in the FAI, the only approach I see would have been follow him outside or report it to the guards (screen shot and send to DMs on the forums).
Luke Darius - Clansman of House Darius, Noble of Baldur's Gate
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

I think that OP's question has been answered. To the parties involved, please take this up in a PM to the DM team, instead of the public forums.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.

Return to “Rules”