Beregost / Amn 1351 Campaign Thread

The "Year of the Crown" Campaign

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Care

Re: Beregost 1351 Campaign Thread

Unread post by Care »

Since the murder, Enora keep watch and guard the temple most of the day, save when she rest.

She is either patroiling the city, close to the temple, in front of the front door, or beside the priest and the altar.
Talora Inayat el Jawad, Squire of the Silver Rose, Faroverd of Lathander
Vilarael'Gisir Arael'lia’A’Sum, avenger and ranger of Solonor
[RETIRED]
Avae Feivra, Scout for Hire
Enora, Templar of the Song of Morning
Arionna Arfaeniel ,mathor of Doron Amar, favored and champion of Corellon
XyrisMourn

Unread post by XyrisMourn »

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?p=576615#p576615

*The fields of corn, bathed only in moon glow or clouded dark, whisper once more.
What beasts shift through the stalks and disturb the silence of night?*
“Nothing is more real than the masks we make to show each other who we are.”
Thom Sunder
Daamien

Unread post by Daamien »

Swollen eyes slowly opened and took in a bloody scene. Two temple guards lay dead, pincushioned with crossbow bolts. There was blood everywhere, among overturned chairs and amsashed vases. The sight..and smell, of such a scene would unsettle all but the most hardened killer. Daamien drew in a painful breath and tried to rise.. only to scream and crumble upon a broken leg. As he looked now to his own body, he realized it was broken and ruined. Not even the cloak that had brought him back from the brink could heal such extensive damage. He needed to think fast. Looking about the room, a realization came upon him.

He had a choice between two doors. One led out of this predicament, and with a few well-placed spells, safety. The other led to his target, Antolina Burgoz, and his own likely demise.
He coughed up a mouthful of blood and pondered this literal life or death decision for a few moments.

It did not take long. He thought of what consequences failure would bring, of the torture he would endure, the ridicule and loss of face, and of the death his mortal master would visit upon him afterwards. He would be remembered, for a short time, as a coward and a failure, before fading away into nothingness. Succes also likely meant death for him, yet also a chance at everlasting glory. Knowing his own death was fast approaching either way, he eyed Miss Burgoz' door and smirked.

He mustered what energy he had and made himself invisible, then loaded his crossbow with one of his finest poisoned bolts. Slowly, painfully, he crawled to the door and opened it.
"I heard fighting outside! Who goes there?!" a shaken voice demanded from the gloom. His eyes were accustomed to such conditions, and in an instant the devilspawn recognized her as his long-time prey.. Antolina Burgoz.

"Death" was the only reply, before a bolt pierced her heart, killing her instantly.
Two more were shot into her for good measure, and the door was pushed shut. More men would surely be coming soon, Daamien thought to himself as he readied his deadliest traps for his last stand. The assassin then loaded his crossbow once more and sat facing the door, with his back against the wall.

The wait was quite short as hurried footseps were heard coming up the stairs, then shouts in the adjoining room. The door opened, and several Templars of Lathander peered in. "He's killed Miss Burgoz!" one shouted out. "Sieze him!" called another.
Several men came into the room then, and there was a blinding light as they triggered the traps. When all could see again, more men laid dead upon the stone floor, their bodies still rigid from the energy coursing through them. "You sullen dogs.. Lathander has failed this day" Daamien spat at the remaining men. "You are under arrest for the murder of Antolina Burgoz and these men here!" their leader replied. The tiefling levelled the crossbow at his own throat as the men rushed him. "May you all rot in Hell!" He fired, and darkness overtook him...

/// Sorry it took so long to post. I had RL things come up and was out of town. Big thank you to DM Dialectic for the best event ever! <3
Kobamw

Unread post by Kobamw »

In recent days a representative of the Sword Coast Commercial Exchange named Koba can be seen in Beregost inquiring about food merchants in the town. He approaches both traders in the town’s market and peasants from surrounding farmlands. He also inquires innkeepers about caravans from other states as Beregost is said to be a trade hub of the region. Koba apparently looks to make significant orders for foodstuffs, especially meats, whether from local vendors or imported from the Amn proper. He does his best to emphasise that developing trade could to large extent remedy a recent increase of taxes.

Unfortunately, Koba is gaining little attention in all the commotion that resulted from a supposed assassination. Still, Koba is relentless in his endeavors. He continues to ask around in hope that word will finally reach a capable merchant with whom he will be able to make a deal.
DM Dialectic

Unread post by DM Dialectic »

Rumor spreads that Thalantyr the Conjurer's High Hedge Estate and keep were assaulted by a large number of bandits seeking some of the wizard's magical research documentation. Adventurers came to the mage's aid, however, and his research was successfully defended, after a long and hard battle with powerful bandits of an unknown allegiance.
Skyrizen

Unread post by Skyrizen »

Exhausted Sky Takes her crew back to the Inn for some rest and to resupply, and awaits Longfeathers call
Hakurei Sky- Captain of the Starlight Trading comapny at ye service

Lucina Cross - Ilmater Cleric of Starlight

Lunaris Vilosa- Spymaster of Starlight
Killington

Unread post by Killington »

A report written and delivered to the Beregost Sheriff.

Sheriff of Beregost,

A young lass reported a terrible sight outside the walls of your fine city. There were five dead bodies strewn upon the road and nearby hillock. Two goblins were among that number, and three men. The goblins and two of the men were upon the road. They bore wounds as that of a great cleaving blade, and a great deal of blood was spilled upon the stones in a pattern, spelling the word
BUTCHER. The third man was nearby on the grass, his blood did not appear to be part of the pattern, though it was smeared greatly and perhaps intentionally. His wounds did not match the others, being from a stab. I believe from my examination that a dagger was used. If this is indeed the work of the Butcher, as I believe it is, it is a first for him to target goblins as well. I do not know if they were intended victims or simply an obstacle during his criminal activities, time will tell.

With regard to the bodies, I do not recognize the individuals, though locals may identify them. The two men amongst the bloodied path were simple peasants, by their garb, and the other was a merchant with Amnian dress. The goblins possessed a brand of the staff and skull upon their barbaric clothing. I have seen that symbol on those goblins that haunt the road north of Beregost, but I am not knowledgeable enough to determine the tribe that owns this device. One of them had a copper bracelet as well, in the shape of a rat. The other was missing it, though had an impression on the skin implying the previous presence of such a bangle. I expect that a local more familiar with this area would be able to determine more about their origins.

The crime likely took place some where north of here, the goblins do not lair south of this town, and the merchant was likely journeying to the gate when the goblins interfered with the murder, or so is my estimation. I have sent a messenger to contact one who is known as Robin, a local ranger of the area so far as I understand, and I hope to form an expedition with this one to learn more of the scene at which the crime took place.

Cordially,

- Tegeus Cromis
Doombringer Tegeus Cromis

Cleric of Hoar and Mentor to Squire Eleanor [Biography] [Theme]

"To live and let live is to die and forgive." [Journal]
Montleberry

Unread post by Montleberry »

Walking along the edge of the Beregost fence a heavy set, red faced man in farmers garb comes to a horrified halt.

Just outside the gate lay an assortment of blood covered bodies, human and goblin. All around them are blood stains that appear to spell the word "Butcher".

An man he remembers from the Friendly Arm and a few other brief encounters is there, as well as a trio of Amnian soldiers. Shortly later another woman wanders into the mess and is similarly horrified.

Asking what has happened and if he can help, Edmund is told the bodies were found murdered there and the culprit at large. The soldiers are more than happy to allow Edmund to pray over the scene. He firsts requests the goblin bodies be removed.

Edmund speaks a brief sermon over the scene. After calling upon the grace of the Earthmother he then casts a spell of consecration over the area. The kind woman who wandered into the scene goes about covering the bodies decently.

With his prayers seen to and the consecration done Edmund suggests to the guard that the remaining blood be covered with soil from a healthy field or orchard while the positive energy of his prayer to Chauntea still lingered in the area.

He then departed sadly, leaving the soldiers to their duties.
Wendel Ashby - Sage of Oghma, retired Guide of Candlekeep
Nelwynn Burrowes - Wizard, Warrior and Wit (returned home to Mother)
Edmund Tellerin - Cleric of Chauntea, member of the Elder Circle. Groundskeeper, OSR
Grishka - Mother of Luthic, Zar Ut Khan
Helen Smith - Loremistress of Oghma
Hitman Hard

Unread post by Hitman Hard »

His mouth curved into a sardonic, knowing smile, excitement not subsiding in the least over his cowl-shadowed face, as the vulnerability of Beregost became more hectic. He took a bite off the cheese and sausage breakfast taco, letting the remainder slip through his fingertips. Disappearing already within the stark expanse of shadowy beams, the ferocious, black panther Voidmare pounding and leaping lithely upon the road at surging speed to keep up with the man. The war in the south shall be ours to claim, he thought in grimmest determination before meeting with various proxies.
Molder: Editor of The Tribune
Valiant: Shrewd, sadistic disguise-strategist; retiring

Good guys are such cliche clones, inevitably.
Montleberry

Edmund has begun to be seen quite regularly around Beregost, appearing in town and taking it upon himself, as is expected of Chauntean clergy, to set about any farming chores he finds.

Muck raking the stable, tending and weeding crops and orchards, any place it appears he can lend a hand he rolls up his sleeves and readily set himself to the work, though if any of the local farm-folk object to the unbidden efforts of a Chauntean priest he of course immediately desists as requested. He prays at each stop as he toils, that the Earthmother see it fit to send the town a bountiful harvest and many births among the livestock this season to help them face the recent adversity.

Passersby may also notice him occasionally surreptitiously slipping bits of the dried meat he keeps on hand to for his dog to Radger the badger, speaking softly to the animal;

"I s'pect there be a reason ya keep giving that fellow the slip eh fella? Have a nibble at this 'n not to worry, I won't tell anyone I seen ya."

On one of these visits after stopping in at Sam's tavern to deliver some mushrooms to Basil the cook to ensure his favorite meal stays on the menu, the patrons would also notice him pestering Sam himself on when he might get news of some shipment he is waiting on.
After eating one of his usually large meals, Ed then wanders over to Mark, the town crier.

"Hello there fella. I be hopin as ya make yer announcements 'n see folk 'bout the town ya be mentioning something for me. I be waitin on a shipment of flour 'n such coming in to town. When it arrive I be looking for such farm-wives, or fellas what be fair bakers too a'course, of the town what wish to take a bakin job. Be hoping to have such bread as I can afford baked up, 'nuff to fill a wagon I manage to afford so much. Be payin 'em fair bakers rates for the efforts.

Be me hope it give some decent work to folk here 'bout with all these ornery new taxes. Then be my intent to take that cart up to the Gate to donate to them Ilmaters to be feedin the sick. Seem like to a help two places for castin one stone to my mind."
Edmund Tellerin - Cleric of Chauntea, member of the Elder Circle. Groundskeeper, OSR
Montleberry

After getting word that his shipment of flour and yeast had arrived in Beregost and making his way to the Risen Phoenix, Ed finds two wagons led by halfling merchants.

He agrees to the flour merchant's lofty request for payment on the spot, not realizing he got fleeced until the yeast merchant points it out and kindly offers the yeast at a discount. Having already paid Samuel Feldepost a somewhat greedy fee for arranging the shipment and allowing use of his ovens, Ed proceeds to Thunderhammer's shop where he sells many of his magic items, scrolls, wands and spare weapons to raise the funds to pay for baking. He uses the coin to arrange for some older women of the town to bake the wagon loads of bread. He offers four times what they ask in payment to ensure any taxes to Amn the work might incur for them doesn't come from their pockets.

Shortly after the bread is ready a caravan heading for the Gate is loaded with both the large amounts of bread and some healing supplies others had gathered in town.

Adventurers begin to hear word and gather to offer aid in protecting the caravan. Some of the more notorious evil-doers of the Coast also arrive in and near Beregost. One, a reputed Talosian, makes open threats against the aid shipment. While the Amnian guard are willing to keep an eye on it, only until it cross out of town and Amnian territory.

As a handful of other dark clad men gather outside town Ed grows increasing concerned for the shipment. Luckily more than a dozen adventurers and others had by now gathered to aid the caravan and his concerns lessen. Despite knowing some that gather to threaten the shipment are both powerful and dangerous he is confident the sheer numbers of protectors gathered will be enough to deter, or if necessary, defeat any plans to attack.

Soon after the wagon caravan heads out of town. The dark clad men outside town and some of those at the rear of the caravan appear to have a heated discussion, although from his spot at the front of the caravan across the little bridge he is unable to hear exactly what is said.
He stands on the far end of the bridge, knowing that once over it they will have left Amn into the lawless lands between Amn and the Gate. He is fearful the attack will commence once they cross the bridge. He also realized that if they are pursued over the bridge the dark clad men will also no longer be under an law that prevents their being assaulted. He readies himself, planning to initiate an attack against any that follow across the bridge. Fully aware he alone is likely not a match for even one of the men, he is quite sure that if they follow out of Amnian lands the many other adventurers would quickly weigh in to his defense if any fight starts. Seeing the aid to the Gate would only be the sweeter to Ed if along the way the sort of men threatening them were put to ground.

Luckily the gathered foes seemingly decide that an assault on a heavily guarded wagon of bread is not worth it, as they do not pursue once the wagon moves. This is a great relief as he was sure they were a sufficiently dangerous group that even with so many defenders much harm and significant losses would have been inflicted by the dark ones.

Aside from a coordinated bandit assault on the Tradeway as they approached the Gate, the trip was fairly swift and uneventful. In due time the caravan arrives at the Gate and the supplies are unloaded. First they are given to the temple of Ilmater, and as storage space runs low the rest is taken to the temple of Tyr. Ed asks those making the deliveries to tell the temples the bread is a "gift from the Earthmother".

Satisfied that some decent paying jobs were created in Beregost and much aid in turn reaches the Gate, Ed heads back toward Beregost with his dog, highly grateful for all the adventurers who aided the mission and deliveries.
DM Dialectic

Even as new issues of Sword Coast, Amnian, and Western Heartlands news publications are released, some of those literate in Beregost may still be seen reading an extra edition of The Herald printed tendays earlier with frowns on their faces.

http://imgur.com/a/QA5JO#0
DM Dialectic

Rumor spreads that a bandit cave den southeast of Beregost was recently raided by some local and foreign adventurers, with three prisoners possibly being seen walked to the east and northeast of Beregost after the raid.
DM Dialectic

Some may notice that the Sheriff of Beregost is out and about the town less than usual in the past day or so. His activity is odd for a law enforcer that has typically been actively seen among the local community and on beat patrols with his deputies.
DM Dialectic

Miasmata wrote:A few Lathanderites and the Most Radiant can be seen moving upstairs in the middle of the day.

Quiet words echo throughout the closed room for a few hours as various topics are discussed.

After the room empties and silence huddles in the deepest corners, a heavy burden falls on the Knight-Commander's shoulders.

He eyes the mural of Lathander and stands from his seat as the light of the sun's rays beckon him outside.

Return to “The 1351 (2015) Campaign”