READ BEFORE POSTING: Rules for Suggestion Threads

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Endelyon

READ BEFORE POSTING: Rules for Suggestion Threads

Unread post by Endelyon »

Alright guys, I'm at my limit. I've wanted to do something about this forum for three years. I should probably start by saying that I don't even look at these suggestion threads often anymore. The reason for this being is that everyone crops up, the first thing another user does is post a reason that the OP's suggestion is not needed or not merited. So I've thought of some rules and guidelines to what's acceptable here:
Guidelines and Rules:

1. Do not dismiss the original poster's suggestion as outright unneeded.

It doesn't matter if you think that they want the game to be too easy for them or even if you think their suggestion would ruin BGTSCC and cause you to ragequit forevermore. This board is here so that anyone can make a suggestion, not so everyone else can put in their 2 cents on it as well.

2. Reply if you have revisions to the idea or similar ones that encompass the same scope

Examples of reasons it is not okay to reply: a.) you disagree the suggestion is needed, b.) you want to discuss the mechanical balance or other aspects of a suggestion, c.) want to use the original suggeston to spark a debate on another aspect of the game will suffer, d.) want to make light of the thread's author or their post in any way. e.) basically any reason other than making an actual SUGGESTION that solves the OP's original need.

Examples of when it is: a.) You have an alternate or similar suggestion that

3. Do not add a community-wide poll to your suggestion.

Especially the polls where the question is "Do you want to see this change?" This encourages users to post their opinion about a suggestion, rather than an actual suggestion. We're not interested in users' opinions or overall interest in a suggestion until the staff is seriously considering that suggestion in the first place. QC, the DMs, or the admins will make these kind of polls. You don't need to show the staff how badly the userbase wants xyz change, as this is not how we design the module.
I'm sure a lot of people would like it if we overhauled every little aspect of the game that irks them. Except the other half of the people who feel irked by the fact that that aspect of the game bugs other people when it doesn't bug them...you get my point. :P In my eyes, I see over 75% of the most toxic discussions on the forums happen right here in this suggestion board, and I'm going to ask the moderators to step in from here out to just stop these before they even begin. If you want to have a debate about the suggestion, please circulate a mass PM to individual users so I don't have to see it here.

These threads are supposed to exist to make suggestions. It's okay to make an unneeded suggestion. We'll discuss them staff-side, and if we need a public debate about them we'll ask for one. Likewise, QCers shouldn't be posting here telling a user why a suggestion isn't viable or would tilt the module balance when programmers and development staff aren't even considering implementation of that change in the first place. It leads to needless debate and controversy. Of course, they can indeed feel free to post their own suggestions as well.

The only suggestion I've ever made here in my own tenure on the server was back in 2013. I suggested that alchemist's fire be allowed to be applied to monk gloves just like any other weapon. I got three pages of replies telling me how stupid the suggestion was because "monks are already way OP, we don't need to give them MOAR damage," and then my simple request/suggestion devolved into an argument about whether or not it's possible to light a pair of gloves on fire and then fight while wearing them IRL. End result? I've never posted a suggestion again.

I plan to protect other users from this experience, and that's all there is to it. Some of you are probably going to be pretty unhappy about this, and I'm not sure what I can do for you. Right now we have one set of users that are feeling victimized and forced into a defensive corner causing them to be afraid to post their idea at all. Then another group of users who are just using this board as a soapbox to try to convince the staff a change has no merit before said change is even on the table. I imagine some of you might stop using this part of the forums as a result, but I imagine a LOT more suggestions will actually be made for devs to brainstorm about behind the scenes. It's impossible to keep EVERYBODY happy in every situation.

It's the staff you need to argue the merits of a change with, not the users here in this board.

Return to “Bug Reports and Mechanical Issues”