Make Upperdark Harder... like impossible to solo harder.

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

V'rass

Re: Make Upperdark Harder... like impossible to solo harder.

Unread post by V'rass »

Those who do are fools... there are always consequences. Or as they say in the hood "If you cant do the time then dont do the crime."
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
samb123

Unread post by samb123 »

V'rass wrote:Those who do are fools... there are always consequences. Or as they say in the hood "If you cant do the time then dont do the crime."
Malign Ashmeddai, tiefling and "Fellblade"
Biography | Fell Epiphanies
Ilzsa Murnyethara, tiefling and "Hexmage"
Biography
"Betrayer... In truth, it was I who was betrayed [...]" (Illidan Stormrage, The Frozen Throne)
SoThereIWas

Unread post by SoThereIWas »

I think others need to look a bit farther than say UD is dead and so on.

The fact is many look down on UD, and the unlawful north like a red head step child. It's not just the UD, it's all places that are "dog eat dog" so to speak.

So pointing fingers at Drow specifically is wrong. and doing so OOC is even more so, as it shows how the general reaction may be IC by such players feeling that way.

EDIT: Besides Drow are not the only UD race
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Wolfrayne »

I just want people to respect the setting a little and not walk around like they are "LEET SLAYER OF ALL THINGS EVIL ALMIGHTY MAGE WARRIOR BARD ROGUE BESERKER LORD KING MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE" all the time.

yes we cap out at level 30... throttle yourself... setting wise you are considered around lvl 15.... Dont make yourself the unfearing god of all things.. build a character. play the setting. The best players on this server i have found are usualy the ones who fail more than they win. They run away when things get tough or think their way around something, they build up relationships and groups.. they die and leave behind memories... these are the things people remember most.

nobody likes the "Master of the Universe" player... those are the people who get laughed at behind their backs.
Reiker Vexx - "Fortune favors the bold"
Cyrus Raviin - "Veritas Credo Oculos"
Israe

Unread post by Israe »

It's agitating to see people judging RP. With two epic Drow Pc's, I've experienced both surface and UD from a standpoint playing as a dark elf.

For the surface side I never initially requested to come to the surface, I was content in an active UD community about 6 years ago. Problem is, me and my party played our cards wrong against rivals, and the DM team back then was very harsh. My PC got drug through the dirt on a loss, ended up on the surface as a prison we to a guild which was arranged by the conclave, and in the long term was banished from Sshamath, KoS in the UD, and stayed on the surface.

So the population then was much more IC'ly hostile, but very much more oooc'ly polite. My character was a struggle, constantly hurt, and through experience she became what she is which is a path I never envisioned for her or intended.

Now, current days instead of good RP, I've been punished for the rule breakers who cross into the surface and basically live there without permission. I have players complain that my presence is immersion breaking. And I also have quite a few players who act as if they want to hug my pc on their first encounter which just shocks me.

So, I do encourage setting appropriate responses towards drow. Judging our RP isn't one of the things you have a right to do, DM team alone .akes the call if our RP to be there is valid or not.

Now, we can look at the Upperdark. My character Jys'Sysynstra goes through there occasionally. I stumble upon a party in the UD, average response is to ignore my presence. Occasionally someone will insult her, but more than not that's followed by denying PVP permission right after, which yes I'm aware I can attack because they insulted me, however I won't do it because I don't like OOC fighting.

So my encouragement is to make Upperdark a cross realm PVP free zone. Your presence alone is consent, you knew the risk when you came. Now that doesn't constitute no RP, it should be required. I would never attack someone without building to. Put some trust on us.
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

Israe wrote:So my encouragement is to make Upperdark a cross realm PVP free zone. Your presence alone is consent, you knew the risk when you came. Now that doesn't constitute no RP, it should be required. I would never attack someone without building to. Put some trust on us.
I agree with it so much! Leave Kro's and Titanfist to them as a grinding ground, fine, but enforce KoS rule. It doesn't mean that surfacers would be instantly attacked by everyone on sight with no RP — it means that they would think twice before ignoring the setting and the world, and then hiding behind PvP rules flaws and yelling "I gave ye nau permissssssssn" when it comes to the expected and fair outcome.

Just look at this thread — everyone is sick of grindbots, but when it comes to dealing with this problem, the only solution you hear is "Just move on, ignore them". But why should we ignore them if they are ruining the RP environment and their behaviour is protected, not stopped, by server rules! I myself was banned recently for fighting just another afk grinder, even though I tried to abide PvP rules. During the ban I missed the very important RP event for Dasha (Tamzim's execution, I think that she even had a little chance to save him), and honestly after this I have lost an incentive of playing as Dasha, so she is retired (I hope temporary).

So I am asking DM team — isn't it high time to do something? I think setting Upperdark as a PvP free zone is a good start.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
Wildsheep

Unread post by Wildsheep »

Israe wrote:So my encouragement is to make Upperdark a cross realm PVP free zone. Your presence alone is consent, you knew the risk when you came. Now that doesn't constitute no RP, it should be required. I would never attack someone without building to. Put some trust on us.
KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:So I am asking DM team — isn't it high time to do something? I think setting Upperdark as a PvP free zone is a good start.
Heh
Last edited by Wildsheep on Sun May 12, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dnaera Ozkam - Red Wizard of Thay

Kiren 'Pearl' Myrlow - Golden Wheel
Vieice Jhala'tlar - Priestess of Eilistraee
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Sigh... and sometimes I wonder if you even play on the server. You know, what is stopping some epic surfacer just camping in Kro's, which is one of the easiest areas to 'grind' since you largely just need AB and AC to survive it.

Additionally, not everyone plays a character with a build that can just run through one area in their adjusted CR range after another.

And do I have to remind how people have tendency to RCR your epics for various reasons.

The change that was suggested above will keep some players happy for about a week, after which it is back to the usual complaints.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
samb123

Unread post by samb123 »

KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote:So I am asking DM team — isn't it high time to do something? I think setting Upperdark as a PvP free zone is a good start.
You know what will happen in about, oh, a month? Maybe less?

"I have trouble getting to the UD, guys! I suck at PvP, and now I can't RP down there. HALP, DM!"
Malign Ashmeddai, tiefling and "Fellblade"
Biography | Fell Epiphanies
Ilzsa Murnyethara, tiefling and "Hexmage"
Biography
"Betrayer... In truth, it was I who was betrayed [...]" (Illidan Stormrage, The Frozen Throne)
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

samb123 wrote:
You know what will happen in about, oh, a month? Maybe less?

"I have trouble getting to the UD, guys! I suck at PvP, and now I can't RP down there. HALP, DM!"
And in response DMs can educate them about the rules and RP! Those who really came for RP though would hardly feel any difference.
Lighters wrote:Do you have reminders set on your calendars to bring up the same topics about every three months or so?

Nothing that is complained about here has to be handled OOC. Handle it IC.
The topic is about people who ignore RP completely, how is it supposed to be dealt IC with the current set of rules?
Last edited by KOPOJIbPAKOB on Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
Lighters

Unread post by Lighters »

Do you have reminders set on your calendars to bring up the same topics about every three months or so?

Israe

Unread post by Israe »

Lighters wrote:Do you have reminders set on your calendars to bring up the same topics about every three months or so?

You can't handle it IC.
Example which is the norm-
I run into a party of surfaces on my epic evil drow.
They respond with slam design and screaming dhaerow, insulting.
I rp appropriately, with usually a warning to get out of my sight which is an actual ooc courtesy opposed to what she would really do, which is kill them outright for mouthing off.
They insult again.
I hostile.
I summon undead summons and let them fight them, as they ooc'ly complain they didn't come t to pvp.
I leave them to deal with my summons and walk away.

Example 2-
Partying with UD players in upperdark
Rp and explore through Kros
Fully wasted surfaces walks through, ignores us because "we would break their immersion"
Passes us and grinds the area.

Example 3-
I use my mid level drow
Run into surfaces, they're more than happy to pvp me.

SERIOSULY? Make it pvp free on encounter please. With rp reason, upperdark should be a high risk of cross realm conflict, can we make it this?
Mance

Unread post by Mance »

I just dont get it. Dont want to see any surfacers? Stay at Underdark. A whole undeground area's (UD+UPD) is barely used by players at all. Whole underground theme - is pretty close to waste of server resources already. Cause most of time - there is no UD players online at all. And surfacers using uppedark - on very rare occasions. And you want to make it a compelete waste? Well.. I got better idea then. Remove UD and UPD at all :D What? Server called BGTSCC not UDTSCC :D And Baldurs Gate area can use some expanding cause for now its lacking a lot of lorewise settlements and areas! :)
Active characters:
Graham - traveler from Frozenfar.
Shello Tide - Shaman from Rashemen.
Darreth - Hoar's paladin.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

I’d so like the UD to be a challenge and challenging place on the BGTSCC Server.

But what would be far more fun is a UD or Upperdark that had interesting Campaigns being run their, in a style befitting the Setting.

Oh, btw, thread necromancy!!! :lol:

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

Lighters wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:55 pm Do you have reminders set on your calendars to bring up the same topics about every three months or so?

People have a tendency to make it OOC, even when you try to keep it IC. If you PvP people, if you make any move that prevents another player from going along their own railroaded path for their character, if you do anything that they perceive as an attack on their character. . .I've found that most people will take it personally and start bombarding you with tells.

IC is not OOC should be a rule. This single quality in an RPer has caused more problems than pretty much anything else in my time RPing. This is what causes a LOT of drama, and causes people to become so attached to their characters that they would rather sacrifice their dignity and whine to the staff/DMs for them to get a "get out of RP card" than just follow through with their RP.

There is a way to deal with it (disable tells after PvP), but that has other detrimental effects. Never-the-less, if anyone wants to try to handle things IC and leave OOC at the door when they come into RP, I recommend this approach. At-least after someone starts bombarding you.

I did find another tool that you can use, where you submit any cases of someone tell-spamming you because their character lost a battle or has to suffer the consequences of their actions/personality to the staff and tell the staff the other player was harassing you. Ideally, this would work well, as it would be a chance for the staff to show that they don't tolerate RPers who try to worm their way out of consequences via OOC complaining.

However, I mostly go with the ignore approach, because my experiences have shown the staff won't necessarily side with you. In character or not, there has historically been a heavy bias against anyone who initiates PvP (no matter the reason) as well as a bias towards people who incessantly complain to them to cure their woes. Which is another problem in and of itself.

I'm sure other people have had their own experiences that might concur or differ with mine. But my own experiences tell me "leave staff intervention with player issues to a bare minimum, ignore anyone who is a (person)".

That is just the motions you have to go through to do any sort of Character vs Character RP on this server. Yes it 'can' be handled IC. Under idealistic circumstances. But players who just can't stand to lose force it to become an OOC issue.

And a rule, or harder mobs. . .that won't cause that fundamental issue to vanish. Not being tolerant of those kinds of people is pretty much the only way forward. And tolerance has caused it to actually become an issue.

P.S. If you have a friend and they ever start complaining about how they lost in RP and their character shouldn't have lost and the world is unfair and they are going to report everyone who ever wronged them. . .just tell them to not be a prick. Be a good friend.

P.S.S. Even if your character 'loses', you'll still end up getting RP out of it. Have fun with it, don't complain that someone is basically handing you RP material. Some of my best RP has come up because a character got captured by another faction.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”