Whips?

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Darker_Thought

Whips?

Unread post by Darker_Thought »

There was a suggestion long ago but I will post this suggestion again. Iv'e tried em IG. They are quite good :)

We need some Whips on this server! <3

https://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter2/mods/995/

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... t-de-balor

/Darker
"NWNScript is what happens when you ask Satan to turn C into a scripting language." - DM Doom
vexedart

Re: Whips?

Unread post by vexedart »

Bump for those ol' dirty dhaerows.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

What damage dice does a whip have ?
A ranged weapon ? How does that work ? What range does it have ?
Kaeldre

Unread post by Kaeldre »

I'd advocate taking the stats from nwn1, alternatively taking some inspiration from DnD.

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Whip

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Whip

Damage Type: Slashing
Damage: 1d2 or 1d4
Size: Small
Proficiency: Exotic

In terms of range I would treat them as any other melee weapon, no need to complicate things. In order to balance their poor damage performance I would some add something flavourful to all whips, following NWN1 and DnD's example. Personally, I prefer the added bonus feat disarm.
Lilith, The Sorceress
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

Jhael, The Betrayer
"To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it"

J'hannis, The Devout
"To embrace apathy is to be marked by death"
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

Theodore01 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:24 am What damage dice does a whip have ?
A ranged weapon ? How does that work ? What range does it have ?
1d2 Damage, 20/x2. They seem to attack from a slight range, probably 20-30~ feet. At-least 2-3 normal hitboxes away from the target.

That is as it has been implemented on Haven and Sigil anywho.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
SyntheticRose

Unread post by SyntheticRose »

I like them for rogues on Sigil. They let you make your sneak attacks from behind a more tanky party member on late-HiPS builds.
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

Yesss!!

A Scourge is a whip with a blade on the end, it might be possible to do that by adding Slashing damage to a regular whip. (Unless the art team wants to do a new model!)
Rudolph

Unread post by Rudolph »

Nota bene that on Sigil, at least when I last played there years ago, whips weren't finessable. Maybe this can be changed here... Otherwise, yay. Their ranged nature is what makes them special.
Mallore

Unread post by Mallore »

chambordini wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:20 am They're added, they currently should be 1d6 x3, exotic and bard proficiency required.

I need to update the text entry and the icon...

But thoughts? Range too small? Fine as it is? Any weird behavior with sneak attackers and such? How does the AI handle it?

The whip animation is sweet.

Whips are not suppose to do lethal damaged and further are kinda useless against people with almost any kind of armor. It’s a whip in the end, not a deadly weapon.

A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).
They are meant for other weird abilities.

On a mechanical note, it sucks it’s exotic or bard only. Unless you take Bard levels your rogues, sds, duelist and all your light armor mid ab classes can’t use these. Your talking feat started classes who can’t afford the feat. And if you want to power build you still gotta get Kukri so here is another cool fun toy blocked out for mechanical reasons.

5e later just moved whips into simple weapons and treats them kinda like daggers.

Not sure how it reacts to SA and won’t know due to it being a bard weapon. ;).

Also how is my Drow suppose to hold one to look scary if you can’t equipe non-proficient weapons. ;)
Jane of Here and There (Jane Price)

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

You take exotic weapon proficiency?

We are an RP server after all, if we want to use then for thematic purposes we should be willing to build accordingly.

I'll test sneaks later on my rogue (whom I took exotic weapon proficiency) and let you know.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne »

Can someone see if they are working with finesse?
Nathan Goldenmane - Guardian of Ilmater's Sanctuary, Mercy's Blade

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Yes, appear to. I'll recheck tonight.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Mallore

Unread post by Mallore »

Planehopper wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:47 am You take exotic weapon proficiency?

We are an RP server after all, if we want to use then for thematic purposes we should be willing to build accordingly.

I'll test sneaks later on my rogue (whom I took exotic weapon proficiency) and let you know.
Do you not have to take the Exotic for each weapon you wish to use? Or does taking exotic mean you get them all in this nwn2? It’s been a while so I forget and lots of places/games seam to do it different.

As a note we are a Medium RP server which is often reminded to me, as such you are required to balance both theme and pve when doing your build. Kinda snarky of you. ;)

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

I dont think disagreeing with your premise is snarky, but if that how you read it, my apologies. "Medium RP" has evolved over the years to expect everything to be mechanically sound for power, and I disagree that it was ever the intent.

Exotic weapon proficiency works the same way all weapon proficiencies work, by unlocking for use a school/group of weapons.

Plenty of builds are still viable with a feat taken to fit whips in as a concept.

Mallore

Unread post by Mallore »

Planehopper wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:30 am I dont think disagreeing with your premise is snarky, but if that how you read it, my apologies. "Medium RP" has evolved over the years to expect everything to be mechanically sound for power, and I disagree that it was ever the intent.

Exotic weapon proficiency works the same way all weapon proficiencies work, by unlocking for use a school/group of weapons.

Plenty of builds are still viable with a feat taken to fit whips in as a concept.
Your alright. My comment was more a fun poke, ignore it.

What I was ask. Is it. Feat - Exotic Weapon Whips or is it Feat Exotic Weapons. Meaning you get them all including Kukri with the one feat?

I am also of the belief we shouldn’t be super strict on a portion of an item and not the rest. As such it should be a non damage weapon, to better reflect its actual intention and use in game :) At the very least no critic range.

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”