Blackguards - BG's Dipping Sauce.

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Agog_Fr
Retired Staff

Re: Blackguards - BG's Dipping Sauce.

Unread post by Agog_Fr »

Oh yes you have right. I did not saw that ! Great change.
Play Angbaal the Necromancer.
Video presentation of my Guild : Link.
Bobthehero

Unread post by Bobthehero »

So far, Blood Bond can't be added to the game as is. And isn't the rest timer 30 minutes at max level, that still leaves you plenty of time without the extra strenght (And paladins can have it on during the entire time between rests)
Steve wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:06 am In Endelyon's version, there are also some nerfs (or anti-dipping changes):
Dark Blessing (Su): Beginning at second level, a blackguard applies his Charisma modifier (if positive) as a bonus on all saving throws. This bonus is capped at the user's number of Blackguard levels.
This particular change should only occur if equally applied to Paladin, imho.

EDIT: but if we're talking adjusting the PrC for "balance," then we're also talking about 100% free RCR. :|
A good point, the paladin is pretty powerful on its own, but let's not pretend its not used to dip like Blackguard for good aligned characters.
Aurelien Amon: Human fighter, member of the Whitewood Vanguard, Hoarite

Lotrik: Not a wise Genasi, probably stronger than you tho, a master of longswords. Fully retired

Bob Thairo: Dreadknight of Bane, Back on the Coast, tyranning away with his wife
Bar

Unread post by Bar »

Even without the aura buffing nearby allies this is a solid improvement on Blackguard that I'd love to use.

Seeing as We have new Admins at the helm; could we get an update on what's planned?
blacksoft

Unread post by blacksoft »

Thought I would post here the analysis I put up on discord regarding the BG seemingly OP Smite ability (works on anyone)

"Smite Enemy (Su): At 2nd level, the blackguard gains the ability to smite any target he deems an enemy. For the duration of one round, he adds his Charisma modifier to his attack roll, and his Blackguard levels to the damage roll. This ability has a cooldown of five minutes, which shortens to two minutes at 5th level, and one minute at 10th level."

As long as BG smites do not gain benefits from Great Smite feats, I do not think you need to compare this ability to Paladin since a Great Smiter's thing is kill with one hit

Now let's compare damage over time of 10 minutes of Divine Wrath with BG smite:

Hmm, assume 6 attacks per round to start out

-Divine Wrath in 10 minutes does 600 damage = 10 rounds * 2 times * 6 attacks * 5 damage per hit
-BG smite is 300 damage every 10 minutes= 1 round + 5 times * 6 attacks * 10 damage per hit

Ya, Divine Wrath will always be doing double the damage over ten minute span that BG Smites will be doing.
(1200 damage over 10 minutes with 12 attacks from DW, compared to 600 damage for BG smite).

So really, the result is consistency vs dependability. Except for bosses, you are usually not attacking for 10 rounds straight, so BG smites might actually be more practical for general questing (or, it might not). I draw no real conclusions other than it seems fine as is.

One could just implement both in one build, however: 12 fighter / 10 BG / 5 DC / 3 MoA 8-)

((I would only argue that Paladin Smites be put on cooldown as well if we remove the Great Smite feats - which I see no reason why we should))
Last edited by blacksoft on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

BG smites are supposed to benefit from Great smiting.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
blacksoft

Unread post by blacksoft »

Valefort wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 am BG smites are supposed to benefit from Great smiting.
This changes...Everything.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”