Rockrun Map

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

cosmic ray

Rockrun Map

Unread post by cosmic ray »

Could it be turned back on, please? I understand the logic of having it disabled, and I assure you that I share the sentiment of whoever came up with that idea, but let's be realistic: all it does is make the place annoying for some players. I'm not even talking about myself, as I know all of its ins and outs, but some players struggle with it and it hurts RP opportunities imo.

We've already stretched the lore quite a bit by having a svirfnblin town that allows outsiders, especially drow, inside at all, so it isn't like enabling the map is going to ruin anyone's immersion, right?

Pretty please?
You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
BDobolina

Re: Rockrun Map

Unread post by BDobolina »

I will confirm that it has prevented me from doing anything more than a cursory look through the area. I created a svirf and decided it wasn't worth figuring it out out of character, when in character it shouldn't have been hard to navigate for a native.

I would like to see it turned back on as well.
Jackard Marks - Waukeenar Merchant of Tethyr - "The bold find the gold, the careful keep it - and the timid yield it up."
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

I currently main svirf, +1

Took weeks to finally give up and ask for directions. Couldn't find the entrance, couldn't find the path to shamath, took a long time to find the king, the exit, and I've only ever seen 1 other player there...
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
Balthomer

Unread post by Balthomer »

True. This area is confusing to navigate even after the 200th time traveling around it.
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

My main was a Svirf for awhile too. I had a lot of questions regarding lore at the time. Particularly regarding the age in Forgotten Realm timeline of Rockrun. When did the attack on Tunnel Run and Black Rock take place?When did the war against the Duergar happen? How long did it last? When was Rockrun actually created?

Was my character alive when it happened? Was he just a child?
How do you insert your characters history into this very unusual lore of the history of Rockrun when its unclear when these non-cannon events happened?

I think I sent my questions to the DMs but unfortunatly there was no Rockrun experts around to answer. If I recall correctly I think the DMs/Admin were interested in Re-working Rockrun, and its lore, which was great news to me at the time. But I assume there has not been anyone interested in spear-heading said changes.

Maybe this thread can be an oportunity to awaken some interest in Rockrun?

Rockruns history is definately unusual, but I have grown to like it. Two Svirf cities joined together and kicked Duergar butt. They then took the Duergar home as thier own - after a long drawn out war. The secret to the victory was a siege with the help of Giant purple mushrooms!

Okay a bit of a stretch but not too shabby. What if the Svirf had help from their upstairs neighbors in Kraak Hazak?

I personally think Rockrun and Kraak Hazak should be linked together. Not necessarily combined -but linked somehow. The Svirf will then have a bit of a link to the surface. Since they are located in the Upperdark, I would say it is viable. It would also bridge the Upp Dark with the surface a bit, all the while giving a little attension to the dwarven city.

Perhaps the illusionary magic that conceals Rockrun, can be removed with a strong partnership with the surface dwarves?
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Zymth

Unread post by Zymth »

+1 for this. I would also recommend flattening out Rockrun (removing the ramps up and down) and also eliminating a lot of the empty space. I find that Rockrun is difficult to navigate and difficult to get out of, which deters me from visiting.
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

Navigating at Rockrun is actually pretty simple once you know what and where is located. At first it's complicated, yes, but come on, Rockrun is -meant- to be this way — a semi-secret deep gnome village concealed behind illusionary walls. I vote against revealing the map.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
Wildsheep

Unread post by Wildsheep »

I would also rather keep it as it is, otherwise it might be a little too easy for someone to casually make their way to Sshamath by themselves. I'd rather have people actually ask those who know the way to guide them there, it's a neat little piece of rp that might be lost.
On the other hand it's fairly annoying for new players and it's understandable if it is changed.
Dnaera Ozkam - Red Wizard of Thay

Kiren 'Pearl' Myrlow - Golden Wheel
Vieice Jhala'tlar - Priestess of Eilistraee
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Perhaps the best idea is to remove (archive) all Areas that (current) DMs have no interest in supporting RP there.

I know it sounds harsh at first.

But it would be practical and rather easy, and result in:

1. Freeing up Server resources.
2. Ending Player frustration by investing in RP with and within an environment that "won't" invest/react back.

Keep in mind an action like this, removing Maps/Areas, could be reversed when a DM wants to support storylines within that context (area).

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Empoweredfan

Unread post by Empoweredfan »

I would argue that the lack of a map of Rockrun is a boon. It feels intentional, makes it a bit more interesting in a way, and is a good reperesentative of the mist that is suppose to be in the area. As for Rockrun not being a place for RP, that is just plain wrong. It is true that I don't see too many svirfneblins there, but that is just an opportunity.

That no DM is involved, doesn't mean that there isn't RP.
Nawiel: Stubborn woodpecker from the deep.
- "Responsibility is a curse, importance, an illusion."

Deleniel Vanaer: Wood Elven Sor. . . cook.

If you put your foot in your mouth. . . don't start walking. . .
Balthomer

Unread post by Balthomer »

Steve wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:30 am Perhaps the best idea is to remove (archive) all Areas that (current) DMs have no interest in supporting RP there.

I know it sounds harsh at first.

But it would be practical and rather easy, and result in:

1. Freeing up Server resources.
2. Ending Player frustration by investing in RP with and within an environment that "won't" invest/react back.

Keep in mind an action like this, removing Maps/Areas, could be reversed when a DM wants to support storylines within that context (area).

Cant agree more, just look at the Rockrun forums, people who is interested in rping in rockrun (because there is rp in rockrun) arent posting on forums so DMs dont even see whats going on, but Rockrun is far from necessary, server could do without it.
Kaeldre

Unread post by Kaeldre »

I think we are doing new players a disservice by making areas needlessly difficult to explore and roam. Instead of making the experience of exploring difficult we should make it rewarding and fun. A small step towards that goal would be to make the map visable. For that reason, I will support this suggestion.
Lilith, The Sorceress
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

Jhael, The Betrayer
"To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it"

J'hannis, The Devout
"To embrace apathy is to be marked by death"
JIŘÍ

Unread post by JIŘÍ »

Our characters spend time in Rockrun. Since tugging along with one I barely Visit Sshamat and if I do then to use appearance kit.

Disabled map is abysmal. I would more understand if to locate village would be difficult.but disabled map? Make it automatic for earth kin to find it, search check for others or diplomacy check by the scout. And allow whole party go get the check done for them by one of.members.
Discord contact: Haf#6089
Boletus

Unread post by Boletus »

I am so lost in the Rockrun map. So lost. :oops:
Characters: Hornfels the Gnome Galadin | Hanna | Styrbjörn Bamsefar
gjallahorn

Unread post by gjallahorn »

I just spent the better part of 3 hours, getting, or rather trying to get familiar with the layout. :o

The village itself is not that hard to get a hold on, but the outlaying arears... mein Gott im himmel! <:D

I am somewhat sure, that I can navigate the arear now, but it took me over 2 hours walking around muttering to myself "I am a RANGER.....I am suposed to know my way around"

Which I now do....sort of...ish.... :think:

*grumbles*

But aside form that, the place looks amazing and has a propper underdark feel to it... so I am exited to play a lot more there. :D
Fenia Hastalion, Ranger and Bardess of Mystra
Tonia Gelven, Warriorbardess of Corellion Dead

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”