Neat little idea I had for Master Alchemist

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

kitteninablender

Neat little idea I had for Master Alchemist

Unread post by kitteninablender »

So here's an idea I had for Master Alchemist, one that I don't think is TOO strong and it would be a fantastic ability for them to have as far as the Flavor of the ability.

Elixir of LIfe(Ex): You gain the power of the Legendary Master Alchemists of old, the Philosophers, to create an Elixir of Life. Once per day you can create an Elixir that functions as a scroll of Raise Dead. The material cost for this is 1000gp.

I just think this would be a neat little tidbit to give the Alchemist, because it represents the ultimate goal of all Alchemists: The power of either Eternal Life, or the power to Ressurect the dead.

Thoughts? Comments? Witticisms?
Chaos is relative. What is normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly.
SpookySkeleton

Re: Neat little idea I had for Master Alchemist

Unread post by SpookySkeleton »

How much does it cost to create a Raise Dead scroll -- or what is the cost from a merchant. You wouldn't want to crash the market with these elixirs! :P
Lys Beskytte - Sorceress

Laila - Adeptus Deathbringer, Harbinger of the Undeath, Temple of All Seeing Eyes
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

potions/elixirs can't be used on another pc so I'm afraid you couldn't have an elixir of raise dead. I suppose you could have it be a renamed scroll, but animation would likely be reading a scroll, rather than dumping a potion on the body.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

and an elixir of raise death doesn't work on yourself (in fugue) also :shifty:
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

it will not work it is a prayer spell with words not one drop of water wil rise you it sound odd you cant have a spirit in a Bottle only the breath of life can rise a dead one you can make healing potions but not a breath of life
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

I question the lore friendliness of this suggestion.

In FR, gods AND the soul decide if the soul returns to its body. There is no way to go around that, beyond invading a god's realm and forcibly stealing a soul and putting it in a body against its will.

Unless the death is basically "near-death" (brain and heart stopped, but soul didn't depart the body just yet), then it would work the same as shoving a potion of Regenerate, Heal or Gr. Restoration down the throat would.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

not that it is going to happen but i think you are over thinking it, it would still be a potion so as long as every drop of the elixir makes it into the mouth then the spell would trigger and then it would act within the normal rules of said spell which would include refusal of the souls return
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
Kitunenotsume

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

chad878262 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm potions/elixirs can't be used on another pc so I'm afraid you couldn't have an elixir of raise dead. I suppose you could have it be a renamed scroll, but animation would likely be reading a scroll, rather than dumping a potion on the body.
I learned this the hard way after making 6 of them, back when I first got the ability.
I'm still disappointed that we can't use potions on allies as described in tabletop:
  • A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature’s throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature. - https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/p ... ndOils.htm
SpookySkeleton wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:49 am How much does it cost to create a Raise Dead scroll -- or what is the cost from a merchant. You wouldn't want to crash the market with these elixirs! :P
Even if it worked, I wouldn't be worried. Brewing Elixirs cost 5-10 times the price of buying a scroll from an NPC.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
kitteninablender

Unread post by kitteninablender »

Exactly right. This is not a "Crash the market with Elixirs" ability. This is an "Oh, sh-t, downed Ally. We need a revive, NOW." :P
Chaos is relative. What is normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”