Half Orcs with Human Bodies (Already Made!)

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

PaulImposteur
Retired Staff

Half Orcs with Human Bodies (Already Made!)

Unread post by PaulImposteur »

Years ago, the bodies of many races were swapped to human because their skeletons cut down on a large amount of work needed to bring in new content. Orcs and Dwarves often get the worst of the stick on this server, and I'll take a strong bet the biggest reason the Orcs rarely get players is all the aesthetic issues. Cloaks freaking out, rarely working, severe lack of wearables, weird animation issues.

Almost all these problems can be resolved by creating a sub-race for Half-Orcs, and giving them a human body. The Work for heads has already been done years ago by the mod I link below.

I've created 3 different Orcs on this server, getting up to around level 14 with one. They models suffer extremely bad animation problems, where their fingers just 'break' holding weapons. There's a ton of perks opening up this body type and allowing to so many of the existing assets to be carried over from humans to them.

The biggest perk, is people might actually play them. It's odd we have so many planetouched around and almost no Orcs, and I think we know the reason is the models, not the lore.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... reed-heads
User Login: Spidertomb
Hurricane (Dumb Barbarian)
Jordan Steelsplitter (Shady Dwelf)
Xiao Jun (Uninformed Shou Tourist)
Roleeda Ganzfried (Insecure Hin Warlock)
edmaster

Re: Half Orcs with Human Bodies (Already Made!)

Unread post by edmaster »

This is what we use on our Server, and it's pretty good imo, the heads look Orcish Enough.
athornforyourheart
Lead Media

Unread post by athornforyourheart »

Ed can attest, I’ve mentioned implementing this a few times but I think dev/media activity or feedback on the matter was slow.

I am going to bring this up again and this time with much more gusto. We could really help eliminate the exclusivity of models to only human and human subtypes by doing this.

I will follow up.
PaulImposteur
Retired Staff

Unread post by PaulImposteur »

Thank you very much Thorn! Hopefully soon I'll be running around as a Half-Orc with some cool armor!
User Login: Spidertomb
Hurricane (Dumb Barbarian)
Jordan Steelsplitter (Shady Dwelf)
Xiao Jun (Uninformed Shou Tourist)
Roleeda Ganzfried (Insecure Hin Warlock)
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Could they maybe be set up with the same >bodyswitch command that is used on gnomes?

More human-looking body types would be a good variance, but I know there are people that play them for their hulking/monstrous body type as well.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
chuck darwin

Unread post by chuck darwin »

not only will it make clothes fit, it might also give us a different way to play the half orc, right now, the half orc takes mostly after the orc parent. and much like the Half Elf he has both human looking heads as well as more elven looking heads. i think it would be fantastic to have a half orc that takes after the human side. i think it would give half orcs more ways to RP.

just a thought.

Chuck D / BpB
GholaMan

Unread post by GholaMan »

I think its a great idea, more options are always good. But there is an actual lore reason as to why half-orcs appear more like orcs rather than like humans. Most half-orcs in the region would be mountain orcs and mountain orcs having kids with non orcs dont always come out as half orcs they frequently just come out as Orcs, not hybrid human-orc. So yeah to most people, meaning peasants NPC's half orcs are just orcs there is no difference. Adventurers are a different breed of people so that really has no bearing on how your PC would or would not react.
mastajabba

Unread post by mastajabba »

athornforyourheart wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:11 am Ed can attest, I’ve mentioned implementing this a few times but I think dev/media activity or feedback on the matter was slow.

I am going to bring this up again and this time with much more gusto. We could really help eliminate the exclusivity of models to only human and human subtypes by doing this.

I will follow up.
Does this mean I can finally get that Handsome Halforc face I been pestering discord for ?
Warden Nigel Blaquehawke - Recon Scout/Ranger of Mielikki- Order of the Radiant Heart

Squire Gideon - Righteous Wrath of the True and Just god Torm- Order of Radiant Heart
cosmic ray

Unread post by cosmic ray »

edmaster wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:12 am This is what we use on our Server, and it's pretty good imo, the heads look Orcish Enough.
What server is that?
You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

cosmic ray wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:27 am
edmaster wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:12 am This is what we use on our Server, and it's pretty good imo, the heads look Orcish Enough.
What server is that?
Sigil.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

Just saying, but half-orcs in Faerun are not meant to look like handsome, green face humans :P
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

First picture that comes up in Google images with the words “Faerun Half-orc”:

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
cosmic ray

Unread post by cosmic ray »

Ravial wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:08 am Just saying, but half-orcs in Faerun are not meant to look like handsome, green face humans :P
Quite true, but they aren't meant to look like glitchy hunchbacks with an abnormal chromosome count either, which is how Bugsidian made them. Come to think of it, Bugsidian made awful appearances for most races. Those original elvish faces still make me cringe.
You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
chuck darwin

Unread post by chuck darwin »

cosmic ray wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:51 pm
Ravial wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:08 am Just saying, but half-orcs in Faerun are not meant to look like handsome, green face humans :P
Quite true, but they aren't meant to look like glitchy hunchbacks with an abnormal chromosome count either, which is how Bugsidian made them. Come to think of it, Bugsidian made awful appearances for most races. Those original elvish faces still make me cringe.

my whole thought was that they could pass more easily for a human weather it is in size, or some of his features are hidden by a hood or mask. and while half orcs are big and strong, but to me, its no different then a half elf living as a full elf or a full human. the choice is there to do both. and it opens up another avenue for RP. even the racist towards orcs and all.

CD / BpB
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

That is races of faerun. I didnt go back and look at the gray box/1st edition to see if it was different. I dont think 'a little heavier' means hunchbacked with a barrel body, but I do think it would be good to have both as options.

It certainly sounds like they are pretty ugly mofos, though.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”