Suggestion of expanding description with attributes

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Re: Suggestion of expanding description with attributes

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Hoihe conveniently neglects that it's not about how much the character tries to have a noticeable, distinctive presence. It's how much they do have one. Certainty and confidence might come from within, but they can certainly have physical manifestations without resorting to magic or being targeted by peer pressure.

Good point on the DEX, though... but while my example messages don't always convey it, I do agree precision and alacrity are as much a factor (if not moreso in some cases) in determining dexterity as grace.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Almarea90 »

Steve wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:37 pm Charisma:
Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting.
If someone bases their own charisma on attractiveness, then you are absolutely right. But that is not always the case. For example Tyrion Lannister isn't exactly pretty but I'd say he is charismatic. I'd say in most cases it's not noticeable at first glance, someone has to somehow act to make it noticeable.
Edelgarde Spades - Guide of Candlekeep and Deneirrath priest, still a Disney princess in the wrong tale.

Gleam of the Firefly - In your darkest hour, look for the firefly

Auntie Ed's Wands(TM): Saving the Coast one Protection from Evil at time.

Candlekeep Public Collection Reference
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Almarea90 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:35 pm
Steve wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:37 pm Charisma:
Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting.
If someone bases their own charisma on attractiveness, then you are absolutely right. But that is not always the case. For example Tyrion Lannister isn't exactly pretty but I'd say he is charismatic. I'd say in most cases it's not noticeable at first glance, someone has to somehow act to make it noticeable.
Charisma is the sum of all those parts quoted. Thus...the Player may decide which are the greater/lesser parts that make up that sum! That is where the fun is.

But what I'm also saying is that one cannot remove one of those parts from the sum. The actor of Tyrion Lannister is by no means ugly, either.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
bncrn

Unread post by bncrn »

Isn't appraise mostly for items? Good idea from someone to have disguise hide stats unless beating checks.
I think it's opt out system that means it's on by default, that's the one I wanted to suggest! Still think cha always should be visible though :)
GholaMan

Unread post by GholaMan »

Except DND constantly breaks this charisma feature of being physically attractive all the time. Just browse the 3.5 monster manual, hags, dragons, liches, just to name a few. Stats are not physical even physical ones would be hard to pin down for many reasons. Just wearing armor is going to hide someone's physique, and potentially their physical attractiveness, being able to appraise a character and get their race is far too much meta information let alone someone's stats. This, it just doesn't need to be implemented.
bncrn

Unread post by bncrn »

I disagree. I personally find it only enhances my experience when I can judge what parts of a person is physical beauty and what's charisma. Someone can be gorgeous but uninteresting, just like they can be normal-looking but a great leader and inspirer of people.
JustAnotherGuy

Unread post by JustAnotherGuy »

bncrn wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:33 pm I disagree. I personally find it only enhances my experience when I can judge what parts of a person is physical beauty and what's charisma. Someone can be gorgeous but uninteresting, just like they can be normal-looking but a great leader and inspirer of people.
That is where examines and RP comes in. There's no way you can tell at a glance that someone is a great leader or inspiration. Examines can tell you their physical attributes. But their personality and magnetism must be found out through RP. It makes no sense to say that you can tell that just by looking at them.
"Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die."
- Rudyard Kipling
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

JustAnotherGuy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:47 pm
bncrn wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:33 pm I disagree. I personally find it only enhances my experience when I can judge what parts of a person is physical beauty and what's charisma. Someone can be gorgeous but uninteresting, just like they can be normal-looking but a great leader and inspirer of people.
That is where examines and RP comes in. There's no way you can tell at a glance that someone is a great leader or inspiration. Examines can tell you their physical attributes. But their personality and magnetism must be found out through RP. It makes no sense to say that you can tell that just by looking at them.
Strongly agreed.
Dolorof

Unread post by Dolorof »

GholaMan wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:59 am Except DND constantly breaks this charisma feature of being physically attractive all the time. Just browse the 3.5 monster manual, hags, dragons, liches, just to name a few. Stats are not physical even physical ones would be hard to pin down for many reasons. Just wearing armor is going to hide someone's physique, and potentially their physical attractiveness, being able to appraise a character and get their race is far too much meta information let alone someone's stats. This, it just doesn't need to be implemented.
Hmmm no, those 3 creatures have a really strong presence to their characters and appearance. How is that they are breaking the pattern? One can say that they are actually the perfect exemple....
Eroan Sandram - Citzen of Doron Amar
Character Sheet
Meredith Nid - The gnome mage
Character Sheet

Discord: Dolorof#1390 - Brazilian Timezone (GMT-3)
GholaMan

Unread post by GholaMan »

Dolorof, hard to tell if trolling, sarcastic or serious.

You think a skeletor looking lich is attractive? Cheeks are supposed to clap not clack.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

GholaMan wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:07 am Dolorof, hard to tell if trolling, sarcastic or serious.

You think a skeletor looking lich is attractive? Cheeks are supposed to clap not clack.
Very serious. One part of charisma is physical attractiveness. (The other parts, per the SRD, being force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, and ability to lead.) Evidently what a lich loses in beauty, they more than make up for in the other categories, considering they get a +2 boost on top of their mortal form's CHA score.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
bncrn

Unread post by bncrn »

JustAnotherGuy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:47 pm That is where examines and RP comes in. There's no way you can tell at a glance that someone is a great leader or inspiration. Examines can tell you their physical attributes. But their personality and magnetism must be found out through RP. It makes no sense to say that you can tell that just by looking at them.

Having a visible charisma score allows me to gauge how my character will react to others. If you have two characters who roleplay in exactly the same way, one with CHA 10 and one with 20+, one will seem more interesting than the other with no effort made. Someone can roleplay super interesting and charming, but if their charisma is 8 my character won't react the same way as to someone with a high score. Description and roleplay just doesn't cover everything.
It doesn't have to be advanced. -3 to -2 low, -1 below average, 0 average, +1 above average, +2 to +3 high, +4 and more very high. Makes small investments matter without showing specifics.
JustAnotherGuy

bncrn wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:03 am
JustAnotherGuy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:47 pm That is where examines and RP comes in. There's no way you can tell at a glance that someone is a great leader or inspiration. Examines can tell you their physical attributes. But their personality and magnetism must be found out through RP. It makes no sense to say that you can tell that just by looking at them.

Having a visible charisma score allows me to gauge how my character will react to others. If you have two characters who roleplay in exactly the same way, one with CHA 10 and one with 20+, one will seem more interesting than the other with no effort made. Someone can roleplay super interesting and charming, but if their charisma is 8 my character won't react the same way as to someone with a high score. Description and roleplay just doesn't cover everything.
It doesn't have to be advanced. -3 to -2 low, -1 below average, 0 average, +1 above average, +2 to +3 high, +4 and more very high. Makes small investments matter without showing specifics.
I think you're making my point for me. Having a visible CHA score will change how people react to someone, without any effort on the other person's part. This is a bad thing, not a good thing.

Charisma is such a broadly defined term that covers so many things. The score doesn't (and shouldn't) tell you how to react to a toon. For instance, my toon is a low CHA toon. However, in my description I say that he's decent looking. He really stands out to people, before he even speaks (He's 6'8" with long green hair, and carries a giant axe). He has even attracted a following of people who look up to him. Yet anyone who RPs with him much will know he's NOT charismatic. He doesn't have a huge force of personality. Yet he's able to cover for this with a high WIS score. He knows when to keep his mouth shut.

When one first meets him, one would simply think him a stupid barbarian, as a result of his low CHA. But it turns out he's a wise druid, who also has a pretty decent INT score. But he's not charismatic.

But where does this low CHA come into play? Mostly in his self doubting. He isn't as confident in himself as one with a high CHA would be. He puts on a good front, but is constantly seeking validation from others. Can seeing his CHA score tell you this? Absolutely not. In fact, most people who RP with him won't even see this. It's only when one gets very close to him that they will see the effects of his low CHA.

Putting an examinable CHA score where people can see it would negate literally hundreds of hours of RP and character shaping.
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die."
- Rudyard Kipling
bncrn

Unread post by bncrn »

JustAnotherGuy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:30 pm I think you're making my point for me. Having a visible CHA score will change how people react to someone, without any effort on the other person's part. This is a bad thing, not a good thing.

Charisma is such a broadly defined term that covers so many things. The score doesn't (and shouldn't) tell you how to react to a toon. For instance, my toon is a low CHA toon. However, in my description I say that he's decent looking. He really stands out to people, before he even speaks (He's 6'8" with long green hair, and carries a giant axe). He has even attracted a following of people who look up to him. Yet anyone who RPs with him much will know he's NOT charismatic. He doesn't have a huge force of personality. Yet he's able to cover for this with a high WIS score. He knows when to keep his mouth shut.

When one first meets him, one would simply think him a stupid barbarian, as a result of his low CHA. But it turns out he's a wise druid, who also has a pretty decent INT score. But he's not charismatic.

But where does this low CHA come into play? Mostly in his self doubting. He isn't as confident in himself as one with a high CHA would be. He puts on a good front, but is constantly seeking validation from others. Can seeing his CHA score tell you this? Absolutely not. In fact, most people who RP with him won't even see this. It's only when one gets very close to him that they will see the effects of his low CHA.

Putting an examinable CHA score where people can see it would negate literally hundreds of hours of RP and character shaping.

I don't think it wouldn't negate any roleplay at all. All it would do is let me know that your character is a bit below average charisma, for the sake of my own character's immediate impression of yours. That's all.

In the case of high CHA characters I think it's good to be able to give them the interest that a high score in my opinion deserves. High CHA can be difficult to get across in text and knowing that someone has a high score helps with the accurate portrayal of their character.
JustAnotherGuy

bncrn wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:54 am
I don't think it wouldn't negate any roleplay at all. All it would do is let me know that your character is a bit below average charisma, for the sake of my own character's immediate impression of yours. That's all.
But what you described is literally negating RP. Knowing how your toon should react and have an immediate impression of another is exactly that; negating RP. In the case of my toon, depending on when a person saw him, they'd think he had a high CHA or a dismally low CHA. It's all about the RP. Metagaming someone's stats and then adjusting your reactions based upon them negates any nuance in RP at all.
In the case of high CHA characters I think it's good to be able to give them the interest that a high score in my opinion deserves. High CHA can be difficult to get across in text and knowing that someone has a high score helps with the accurate portrayal of their character.
Thing is, if someone wants to put their scores into their examine, they already can.
- Rudyard Kipling

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”