Option to Study Location for Teleportation Familiarity

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Kitunenotsume

Option to Study Location for Teleportation Familiarity

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

Suggestion:
Inclusion of a "Study Location" feat when a character possesses a Marked Locations feat; allowing increasing familiarity over time without casting spells.

Reasoning:
The teleportation system relies on Marked Locations, with repeated successful transits to a locatiton increasing a Familiarity value.
The only way to build this Familiarity value is through successful use of teleportation spells, regardless of how long a character has or is associated with that location.
This distinction, while practical, prevents a character who spends most of their time in a small number of locations from building the ability to return to their sanctum reliably unless they spend tens of thousands of gold and potentially many consumables.

I think that this has the potential to be addressed by introducing the ability to study a location - perhaps once per reset, rest, or other time-gating to prevent instant familiarity, but allowing a frequent visitor to grow their intimate knowledge of a location in the event they need to use it.

Mechanically, I would propose a function that allows the user to select a marked location from their list. If that location is in the same map-area, and perhaps even within a certain proximity, it increases the familiarity by 1 as though completing a successful teleport, and the ability cannot be used again until the cooldown requirement is met.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
JustAnotherGuy

Re: Option to Study Location for Teleportation Familiarity

Unread post by JustAnotherGuy »

This doesn't affect me personally, as a druid's plant walk doesn't have the chance of failure a teleport does. But I'm in favor of some form of implementation of this idea. Or perhaps the counter on familiarity isn't increased by teleporting somewhere, but by simply being somewhere. Spend a total of an hour in a place, and you get a familiarity point, or something like that.
"Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die."
- Rudyard Kipling
Kitunenotsume

Re: Option to Study Location for Teleportation Familiarity

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

much like my other suggestion regarding Rune Domain and Stabilize Portal, I figured this one was probably worth a bump with the improved functionality of Teleportation rune storage persistence.

so: Bump.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”