Changing voice sets

Suggestions for Improving or Enhancing the Forums

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Tanlaus
Quality Control

Changing voice sets

Unread post by Tanlaus »

This is a relatively minor suggestion, and may be more trouble than its worth, but it occurred to me that the option to change voice sets, like maybe an npc in the nexus or something, would be a nifty option.

I noticed several times I might have a character concept in mind then when I start RPing them a slightly different personality ends up emerging organically and I realize the voice I chose doesn’t really fit the character.

I figure I’m not the only one who has felt this way. I also figure that especially with characters that have been around a long time their personalities may evolve from that young adventurer to that hardened veteran where a different voice might be a better fit.

Or maybe I’m the only one who even really notices and I’m slightly off my rocker. I wouldn’t rule that out either.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Re: Changing voice sets

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Would be useful 8-) ,

but on the other side - what comes next ? Changing faces on the fly :hand:
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

Theodore01 there allkways something next but it is a secert to you :whistle:
Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

It's difficult to know what combat shouts a character will make the most, just based on listening to the voice sets on the character creator stage. There's some voicesets that don't sound too bad on a first listen but they repeat the same thing over and over and over...

I think admin can change voicesets but it takes up their time. I don't see an issue with players changing it in the Nexus.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

I just grouped with someone today who had the worst, most repetitive combat noise. I asked him about it and he said he had no idea that's what he'd be stuck with full time...

So yes, I think the limitations of some of the custom voice sets become glaringly clear only after playing a bit.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Tanlaus wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 am I just grouped with someone today who had the worst, most repetitive combat noise. I asked him about it and he said he had no idea that's what he'd be stuck with full time...

So yes, I think the limitations of some of the custom voice sets become glaringly clear only after playing a bit.
As far as that goes, I think the orc soundset may be the most obnoxious one. Some others are okay, if a little silly - like how Vichan's Irenicus soundset just keeps repeating "Die!" in different ways. (Mard, thankfully, doesn't use his stat-spear often enough to warrant too many "And this!" lines from his Grobnar voice. That line would make so much more sense if it required the "Take this!" line to always be its immediate predecessor... :roll:)
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
AgentOrange

Unread post by AgentOrange »

This is why I always give my characters no voice.
.:Marietta Thairo:. Former Dreadlord. Hell on heels. Retired with her family somewhere.
Freedom will not bring a better tomorrow.
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Wow, that's great. Thanks!
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Wow, you're the man. Nice quality of life upgrade!
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Agog_Fr
Retired Staff

Unread post by Agog_Fr »

Excellent. Sometimes you picked a bad voice and you can't change it, forever.
Play Angbaal the Necromancer.
Video presentation of my Guild : Link.
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Agog_Fr wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:40 am Excellent. Sometimes you picked a bad voice and you can't change it, forever.

I actually RCR’d a character because the custom voice set was driving me nuts during the fights. :lol:
Lockonnow

This what i have been asking for many years before we change the new forum and here it is great work
Ewe

Unread post by Ewe »

Question: how do I properly RP my PC's abrupt change in voice? Is there some clinic IC that performs vocal surgery? This is especially important to Bard characters.
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759
Darker_Thought

Unread post by Darker_Thought »

Or... Magic? :P

With the wide assortment of spells available in the DnD world Im sure there's some goofy wizard out there that came up with a solution to your problem.
"NWNScript is what happens when you ask Satan to turn C into a scripting language." - DM Doom
Lockonnow

Ewe come on you can do it roll the skills of Perform or skills of conc or taunt

Return to “Forums”