Intuitive Attack -- Remove Monk Level Requirement

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

YYA

Re: Intuitive Attack -- Remove Monk Level Requirement

Unread post by YYA »

I once, twice, thrice, et cetera, had items such as you do, and here I start anew from scratch.

It springs to mind how Intuitive Strike without the monk level restrictions would be a nice feat to have, if one wishes to avoid the creation of another high strength loot monkey for the low level area grind in order to either equip more interesting characters or to provide RCR experience to get them past the more annoying levels.
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Anyhow, I guess I am curious of the worst anti-sneak builds people could come up with Intuitive Strike and removed Monk level restrictions...

I ask, because I would just rolla Spirit Shaman 20/Hospitaler 10, and have it cast extended Inferno on a detected sneak, followed by either Storm Avatar to run around in circles, or Quickened Tree Stride to change area entirely. Something I could do right now I suppose without the feat. I guess there is a reason why some of the ancient sneaks might not quite approve of my visage and presence. :lol:
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Anyhow, since I am free to speculate. Should this change go in, it would not be long before someone would request the feat to brought in line with the D&D version of it, namely that it works with all melee simple weapons in addition to Monk's excotic kamas.

A list of simple weapons in NWN2: club, dagger, dart, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, mace, morningstar, quarterstaff, sickle, sling, and spear.

Large melee weapons:
- Quarterstaff * *
- Spear * *

Medium melee weapons:
- Club * *
- Morningstar * *

Small melee weapons:
- Mace *
- Sickle *

Tiny melee weapons:
- Dagger

The weapons with the ' * ' asterisk work with Power Attack for medium sized characters, and the weapons with ' * ' asterisk work with Power Attack for small sized characters such as halflings and gnomes.

In othewords, a character with high wisdom modifier could use Intuitive Attack feat in combination with Power Attack feat with a build such as Cleric 15/Frenzied Berserker 5/Hierophant 10 and be something of a melee juggernaut in addition to any offensive DC spell casting and having the caster level of 32.

Thus, if we look at the AB situation on an Aasimar with starting wisdom of 20:
23 (BAB)
+ 6 (Base strength of 16 with +6 from Divine Power)
+ 8 (Divine Power AB Bonus) (AB CAP: 8/20 )
+ 5 (Greater Magic Weapon) (AB CAP: 13/20 )
+ 7 (13 Wisdom Modifier, -6 Strength modifier) (AB CAP: 20/20)
+ 3 (Divine Favour, +3 Magic Damage)
+ 1 (Battletide, +1 AC and Haste Attack)
+ 3 (Recitation, +3 Dodge AC)
- 6 (Improved Power Attack)
= 43

And if we look at the current AB situation on an Aasimar with the same starting wisdom of 20:
23 (BAB)
+ 6 (Base strength of 16 with +6 from Divine Power)
+ 8 (Divine Power AB Bonus) (AB CAP: 8/20 )
+ 5 (Greater Magic Weapon) (AB CAP: 13/20 )
+ 3 (Divine Favour, +3 Magic Damage) (AB CAP: 16/20 )
+ 1 (Battletide, +1 AC and extra Haste Attack) (AB CAP: 17/20 )
+ 3 (Recitation, +3 Dodge AC) (AB CAP: 20/20)
- 6 (Improved Power Attack)
= 43

Over all, the AB situation does not change from what is currently available on this server. You could argue that a cleric no longer has to cast the same amount of spells to reach the same total AB -- but AB is not the only thing provided by the three spells needed to reach the AB CAP and anyone who wants to draw out every ounce of melee power from their Cleric will cast those spells.

Thus in my books, the most notable change is that these cleric characters have to spend an additional feat on Intuitive Attack, and they have already spent four on Power Attack, Improved Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, which leaves them just two pre-epic feats left. Extend Spell is a great pick, Quicken Spell is something great too, their caster level is going to take a hit without Practiced Spell Caster, and what about Spellcasting Prodigy or those Spell Focus feats for various bonuses beyond mere DCs? What would you choose of the above? I feel I would have to pick Extend Spell and Practiced Spellcaster, or give up on the improved Power Attack damage from Frenzied Berserker. Additionally, in order make use of Intuitive Attack the best weapon for it would be the Morning Star with its 1d8 Damage, critical hit range of 20, and critical damage multiplier of x2 -- or a spear for its respective 1d10, 20, and x3. Both are bit lacking compared to a Bastard Sword granted for free by the War domain of a deity such as Helm. So over all, perhaps clerics with Maces and Morningstars might become a little bit more common sight.

And I guess that brings me round to DC based Favored Souls, not the most common build of choice I imagine... Especially when Hierophant has been denied from them, but Intuitive Attack feat for simple melee weapons might be a reason to pick a deity that favours a simple melee weapon. As it stands, I would go over the deity to list to see which deity offers a ranged weapon to combine with the Zen Archery feat. DC spells are fun, but melee or ranged combat offers more interesting combat than waiting for rest timer to refresh.

I guess that is all.

The server has added tiny short spears, but I am not really sure what to make of it.

Edit I: Small races can Weapon Finesse small weapons, so they can combine dexterity modifier for AB with Maces while making use of Improved Power Attack. But the Cleric spell list lacks a +6 Dexterity spell, and it would cost yet another feat, so not my biggest concern.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Oh, since I have been thinking about Rangers and Hunters... I think that a Wisdom based melee Ranger could be quite a bit of fun.

Return to “Mechanics”