Suggestion: Warlock Word of Changing...change

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Steve
Recognized Donor

Suggestion: Warlock Word of Changing...change

Unread post by Steve »

Hello!

Okay, so Word of Changing is a NWN2-added/custom Invocation for Warlocks, in that the PnP version is actually Baleful Polymorph (invocation, which IS on BGTSCC).

As some may know, the invocation Word of Changing on BGTSCC was further customized to not only polymorph the PC to a Cornugon, but 5 other forms are now options. As someone that played a Word of Changing Warlock for years on BGTSCC, I've always been questioning the FACT (!) that really only 2 of these forms—the Cornugon and the Planatar—were beefed up enough to actually be useful against current Content.

As I've been told and does seem to have been attempted, the current options for forms of Word of Changing are to reflect the X number of types of Warlock pacts one can make. So, we have Devil pact (Cornugon), Demon pact (gorgon-thing), celestial pact (planatar), etc.

But honestly, it seems that Word of Changing would be soooooo much better, if it simply allowed the Warlock to access all the forms that come with the Shapechange spell. Which, btw, if you didn't know, INCLUDE the current Word of Changing forms (or at least many of them).

So what I'm suggesting for consideration is two-fold:

a) make Word of Changing (Dark Invocation) now just "summon" the forms from the Shapechange spell (for varieties sake, and for RP potential-sake)
b) add a Lesser Invocation to the List of Invocations in-game that access the Polymorph spell selection (for even greater variety AND RP potential).

My reasoning is based on the question of: is Word of Changing meant to be a "free" form type invocation, related to the ability of the Warlock to deceive and bluff their way through Life, or...is Word of Changing such an invocation that should be LOCKED to the type of pact the Warlock chooses (and then in that case...the current available and limited selection really, Really, REALLY needs to be balanced out equally in terms of power...because most of the Word of Changing shapes simply don't match up. And trust me...I've played them all and put them to the test over the years and I'm willing to bet it all that I'm right here).

Anyway, my main point isn't about power balance as much as it is about opening up the Warlock to more options in access to more polymorphing forms. Which I, for one, think would add an improved experience for the player wishing to pursue and deceptive and manipulative Warlock Character.

Thanks for considering. Cheers.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Re: Suggestion: Warlock Word of Changing...change

Unread post by Rhifox »

I think I'd be willing to open it up to the plethora of planar and animal options, but not other humanoids (eg giants). I feel the humanoid forms don't fit with the theme of warlock as well, but turning into fiends or animals in general would be okay.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Rhifox wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:26 pm I think I'd be willing to open it up to the plethora of planar and animal options, but not other humanoids (eg giants). I feel the humanoid forms don't fit with the theme of warlock as well, but turning into fiends or animals in general would be okay.
I guess that what I would prefer are just more Warlock-themed forms FOR the Warlock, but...I didn't want to suggest something that requires more work (as in using the Shapechange spell list is already there).

But like Nightwalker, other Undead(?), etc. could be great additions to the current Word of Changing list.

I mean, let's be honest: all Warlocks using Word of Changing are choosing either Cornugon or Planetar, and the other form, though really cool, are not able to meet the demand in epic content.

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Additionally, those Humanoid forms in the Polymorph spell list would be something that a deceiving Warlock would use to their advantage.

But yeah, I see the argument that if Word of Changing is a power from a Pact, then such power to "transform" might be limited to said Pact or all possible Pact(s).

And we do not have a Giant pact!!! lol

Return to “Mechanics”