Do players want more quests?

Suggestions for Improving Existing Quests, Ideas for Future Quests

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Would you like to see additional quests added?

Yes, add more
85%
No, we have enough
7%
Too many already! Reduce the number of quests
7%

Total votes: 68

K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Re: Do players want more quests?

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

Steve wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:28 am
3. Obscure wasn’t the word I used. What I said was have quests be a initiation to wide ranging experience of the Server VIA travel. One learns about the dangers of the Tradeway by fulfilling Maltz’ Quest, yes?!

I really like that idea, would just like to add that it would be cool if the hints as to were to go would be a little clearer than in some quests. I don't mean a the quest object is on map "SoAndSo" type of advise but something that would allow people to find out with a little thinking mit just per dumb luck or asking around.

Encouraging RP could still happen via forming groups to actually do the quests or as per the cool idea of group quests.
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

When I say more sadistic with the quests, I meant make them more challenging/harrowing to players. This may have been a little creative interpretation on my part, but I'll see if we can grant that wish that it's entirely possible nobody made and turn the challenge up to 11 for some of these.

I'll see what can be done about providing more detailed directions in quest assignments. Certainly if a player is asked to kill the chieftan in a damnable orc cave, they should have directions from the nearest landmark.

Group quests are tricky. It shouldn't be possible for one person to fulfill the entire group's obligation while the rest play cards in Candlekeep, but it definitely makes sense not to force a party of six line up to talk to Matty and Malcom Burrows in order to find their six lost keys. In implementing future quests, we may advance the quest state for all party members in the current area who were at the previous state. Perhaps we would only let the party leader decide how to turn in the quest, since that provides some options. (I realize Party Leader is an often used as an OOC mechanic, but perhaps it would be wise to make that choice IC!)

With regards to eviler quests (towards players, not Evil), Hoihe's post seems like an invitation to send folks to
Hidden: show
the library at the end of Ulcaster.
I like the idea of sending higher-level players to higher-level areas instead. Fine, so Stewart Hipp prooobably doesn't have a package that needs to be delivered to Avernus, but the Torregir Mining Company might have heard of people returning with darksteel from the Shadow Realm...

The possibility of a quest-like activity to "unlock" a dungeon once per reset also feels kind of appealing. Maybe the first person through the Minotaur ruins needs to find a key to the gate, or pick the lock with a high DC. (Of course, this brings about the concern of getting out if you resume your dungeon run after it's interrupted by a reset, but surely you get the idea.) It's definitely a good thought to bring "dungeoneering" more prominently into the server.
Balthomer

Unread post by Balthomer »

More quests would mean less need for grinding (people will still grind) but it would be nice to have teamwork quests where you need others to finish them...like someone to input a code to open a door for the other pcs on a diff side or something
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Balthomer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:39 am More quests would mean less need for grinding (people will still grind) but it would be nice to have teamwork quests where you need others to finish them...like someone to input a code to open a door for the other pcs on a diff side or something
I agree. Reminds me of that stone giant keep in the trollclaws that you need a group to computers.

In addition it would be nice if there were some epic level bounty quests that need a group to complete. Like going after the balor and/or white dragon. Things that would be worth a lot of juicy xp, maybe only available to epic characters but not- as far as I can tell- really soloable.
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

how about fix those that is broking
Calantyr

Unread post by Calantyr »

Repeatable religious quests at the various temples and shrines spread around the server, with bonus XP if you follow the religion or are considered a religious ally of the deity in question.
The quests can be something as simple as reciting the key tenents of the faith from a multiple-choice dialogue box, or kneeling in prayer for 5 minutes (start from the beginning if you leave the area).

You'll see such areas becoming frequented more often, and give more incentive for religious-based RP.
Last edited by Calantyr on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calantyr Thantos - Wandering Sellsword, Helaeya Tor - Accidental Warlock
Saerin Hrathan - Thing Knower, Ysrai Rikharr - Gray Wolf Uthgardt Warrior
Vicaeria Keniryn - Unsheathed Blade, Rikvi Stalvaskr - Falling Paladin
Rhaeya Koadessin - Netherese Survivor, Thokk - THOKK SMASH!
Louvaine

Unread post by Louvaine »

There are more than enough in city of Baldur's Gate. I would love to find some quests tied to a dungeon or area.
Church of Hoar
Morgan Monroe
Kalgain

Unread post by Kalgain »

I would also prefer quests that are tied to a dungeon. They are much better and more natural than fetch and collect quests in cities.

A good quest (with a little too much dialogue) is in the goblin cave north of Beregost. It involves a quest giver close to an area and some randomness. In that sense such a quest is similar to random encounters.
tankteddy

Unread post by tankteddy »

How about Bounty quests?
Special NPC "boss mobs" that you have to hunt down and kill to get a "Trophies"

They can range from 1st level to Epics Trophies can be traded for gold or XP at NPC. Kept as bragging rights. Maybe even add Trophy shop items. Or (at some point) use them with the "crafting system"

More party dungeon/puzzle quest the focus more on RP with others over grinding mobs.

Or even player driven quest ideas or student/mentor boost.
While partied with someone much lower level let it boost or give more XP to the lower party member for RP xp
Theodar Battleforge: "Oi! What dis do?" *BOOM*
Thar Kogan "A har Thar!"
Young Werther

Unread post by Young Werther »

I'd like quests that take you to places with challenges that suit your level. :D
Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

I voted yes to add more quests.

Although what I would really like is to see more quests added that are one-time only. Especially in the epic levels.
Add a quest in Nashkel to bring back the head of the Frost Giant king. Have it be a one-time only quest that rewards like 5,000 experience.

And similar for other areas.

Less repetitive stuff. More big one-time rewards.
Adrian Baker - An innocent virtuoso (bio | journal)
Relyth Ravan'Thala - Bear of an Elf
Timothy Daleson - Paladin Wand Maker
Duncan Matsirani - A wanderer
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

Change the refresh from seven days to something less than seven days, so a guild can do the quests at the same time each week.
Eroica Hersbrucker, dungeon scout and hired blade

Helpful references:
Complete arcane spell list.
Reckeo

Unread post by Reckeo »

gedweyignasia wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:51 pm We have a few quests to introduce players to the server and provide some reliable gold/XP. As areas are added/revised/replaced, we could theoretically add additional quests to expose players to those parts of the server.

Before addressing how to balance the rewards or where quests might be added, we need to make sure players actually want more quests. I understand that some have suggested repeatable, weekly quests are immersion-breaking and that they'd rather earn XP/gold in other ways, so I just wanted to take a quick strawpoll to gauge sentiment, at least among the players active on the forums.

Feel free to discuss below and share your thoughts on quest design, repeatability, immersion, and balancing gold/XP from quests.
I think there has been a bit too much focus on what people consider 'immersion breaking' lately. It's a video game in a fantasy world with cartoon characters swinging swords and casting spells at cartoon monsters. This hyper-focus on immersion is really starting to taste....well, bitter. I don't like the idea of having to conform to an immersion elitists taste as opposed to simply playing a video game on an rp server and having fun doing it.

That being said, repeatable quests for things like, mushrooms/eggs for recipes for cooks etc...don't seem so immersion breaking. The silly halflings losing their key all the time...maybe. Is it breaking immersion? Don't repeat the quest.

I'd like to see more quests, provided they fit sense and accessibility. Quests specific to religions would favor a particular player type over another, rather than making it universal for all players to enjoy. I thought we were looking for inclusivity and player interest, not stream lining focused content for particular players/classes over another. Maybe I'm wrong.
Shadowspinner70

Unread post by Shadowspinner70 »

Reckeo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:42 pmThat being said, repeatable quests for things like, mushrooms/eggs for recipes for cooks etc...don't seem so immersion breaking. The silly halflings losing their key all the time...maybe. Is it breaking immersion? Don't repeat the quest.

I'd like to see more quests, provided they fit sense and accessibility. Quests specific to religions would favor a particular player type over another, rather than making it universal for all players to enjoy. I thought we were looking for inclusivity and player interest, not stream lining focused content for particular players/classes over another. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes. Just yes. Go for inclusivity.

I also like the idea of bounty quests that go after bosses of ANY level, and it can be implemented in the Underdark and surface. Kro's, Oghrann, Hilltop Ruins, Frost Giants, Balor, and the two Pit Fiends are bosses at the top of my head that can be "bountied."
Avintae - Sugar Addict
Flora - Witchy Woman
Azariah - Doombringer

Supermod mode, activated. The rest is just my opinion.
artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

I honestly really liked the non-static quests that got introduced a while ago. buy a map, go find treasure. Get hired to go rescue a merchant.

Then they all... well... got static. They became the same every time you do them. kinda killed the fun of them for me.
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."

Return to “Quests”