Quests - add more skill checks

Suggestions for Improving Existing Quests, Ideas for Future Quests

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Sun Wukong

Quests - add more skill checks

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

For example the Wyvern Egg Quest has options for Bluff and Diplomacy checks to get slightly higher rewards. I think it would be nice to have some option for Intimidate, Sense Motive, Appraise, Taunt, and Perform.

For example with Intimidate failure could be to threaten to go to the Flaming Fist, while success could come from threatening to rouse an angry mob. Working relationship with the fist, and how an angry mob would create a bigger hassle.

Sense motive failure could be about strange diet, while success could be about raising wyverns, in which case you get hush money.

Appraise skill failure could be about trying to sell the egg to a cook, and success could be about peddling it to the other wizard.

Taunt could simply be about the size of the payment, implying poverty, where failure decreases and success raises the reward.

As for Perform, failure could be a performance of grandiose heriocs of acquiring the egg, while success would arise from playing a song about a boy who wished to raise a dragon.

This way you could have in game rewards for skill investments that do not actually offer that much of a mechanical benefit. Taunt has some, but not really. Something similar could be done for all skills with skill checks.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Tsidkenu

Re: Quests - add more skill checks

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Wait for more Dynamic Quests to be incorporated. They utilise more and various skill checks than the majority of quests out there ;)
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Some bounty hunter inside FAI, asked to hunt down gnoll in first level of gnoll cave. There was no such gnoll.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Shadow Moonlight

Unread post by Shadow Moonlight »

I've had that quest at Candlekeep and I found him he was in a room for me, but there have been not much in the way of making use of intimidate/diplomacy/bluff etc.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

I said, 'Wait for more'. They will have more ;)

And I should know coz I've written some of the new ones :P
dedude
Retired Staff

Unread post by dedude »

Sun Wukong wrote:Some bounty hunter inside FAI, asked to hunt down gnoll in first level of gnoll cave. There was no such gnoll.
Message is changed to say that you should start looking for it in X area. All levels of the gnoll cave are connected for encounters there. Bonus info: some player characters may even be able to actively track down the bounty target ;)
Tsidkenu wrote:I said, 'Wait for more'. They will have more ;)

And I should know coz I've written some of the new ones :P
And they are great! It will be a little while before anything new goes live as I'm trying to do something new with this system.
Blame The Rogue

Unread post by Blame The Rogue »

met a mother at candlekeep

rescued her son from gnolls

when i talked to the npc gnoll, there were indeed three options; start fight, make a diplomacy roll, make an intimidate roll

question about dynamic quests. if others are in the area, will the hostage taker "talk" to them? there were others there, but realized it was my quest, so they didn't attempt to interact with the gnoll npc
"Before you die, you should know why you lived."
dedude
Retired Staff

Unread post by dedude »

They should only interact with the PC that activated the encounter.
Blame The Rogue

Unread post by Blame The Rogue »

got another similar quest, back to gnoll caves, another partied up with my character in lion's way before entering

when we approached the gnoll npc, this person in party was able to interact/start convo with the npc. i take it that's because they were in party with my character?

and ty for your replies. just trying to understand the mechanics :)

and apologies for hijacking the thread :)
"Before you die, you should know why you lived."
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

dedude wrote:They should only interact with the PC that activated the encounter.
Can we make this instead work on members currently in the same party as the PC that activated the encounter? There's a lot of RP potential here, so tailoring the experience to groups would be excellent.

Return to “Quests”