Basilisk Quest - UD

Suggestions for Improving Existing Quests, Ideas for Future Quests

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Velaris
Recognized Donor

Re: Basilisk Quest - UD

Unread post by Velaris »

Um...high fort save with steadfast here. Fighter assassin.

Wanted to see what she's worth so I stealthed, she saw me so I walked up to her and she tried the gaze.
Didn't do anything to me, and I spun around to see if she would try again but she didn't. She does seem to be a little harder to hit than the cr12? For the area, but she's just one mob.

Now granted I'm higher level than the 12 (23) but I think it's reasonable to have to plan for this type of mob with a friend or two.

As for the comments about people bringing up how things used to be, well, isn't that the root of the complaint? She's made the quest harder than it used to be. So now we need to adapt a new strategy to get the eggs. Maybe a summon to distract her and snatch the egg and run!
(Probably how I'd do it in RL tbh)

I've been back a few times since seeing the OP and have yet to get turned to stone. So yes, maybe steadfast and fort saves have an advantage here. Hurray!
Cubicle
Retired Staff

Unread post by Cubicle »

adobongmanok wrote:I actually like the idea of making her into an Epic Boss, though that means that the exp reward for that quest should also be adjusted with the risk that comes with it? As much as I hate to lose another quest for lowbies, I think that is a fitting compromise. Probably increasing the exp reward for other quests as well can be increased since the lowbies lost one of their source of quest exp.

Just a suggestion.
I'm willing to increase the XP reward for just about anything, but I think there's a limit on how far we can go. 2000 for a quest is the highest I've seen. I'll probably need to get permission to adjust that one. I'll ask around.

The Epic Boss idea is looking good though. I doubt there'd be an issue with her having true sight and high spot/listen skills if that were to happen...maybe, maybe not :| .

I'll set her petrification gaze to unlimited and spontaneous. Hopefully she doesn't rapid fire it.
Last edited by Cubicle on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brutalix

Unread post by Brutalix »

Where do you get the quest from? I've been there a few times and seen the eggs, but have never been able to find a quest giver. Makes me wonder what other quests im missing.
Cubicle
Retired Staff

Unread post by Cubicle »

The wizard just outside Gloura's gives you the quest. He's wearing a blue coat.

Careful though, he will teleport you after accepting the quest.

There are 13 Quests total in the UD/Upd
Velaris
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Velaris »

Cubicle, You've done awesome in the UD, this is no different.

This is the underdark, you adapt or die. Group up if you need to, develop your character in a way that you DO survive, or fight something else. That's why there's fewer players here IMO, and solo people need to be more careful, because it's less fluffy and forgiving. I like it that way. Others prefer a different environment to play in and stay on the surface.

Making changes to move the boss out of the way so that it's not keeping people from completing the quest...did anyone else just sigh at that? I did.

And move the wyverns out of the way too, so they aren't stopping me from getting their eggs. Cause they shouldn't be protecting them. I'm entitled to their eggs and my quest xp.

Sigh...just, sigh...
Nemni
Custom Content

Unread post by Nemni »

Cubicle wrote:I'll set her petrification gaze to unlimited and spontaneous. Hopefully she doesn't rapid fire it.
This is not a good idea. Not even liches spam their death spells, and protection towards them is easier to get than vs petrification. This is not an epic area suitable for an epic boss. Quests have always been a way for even unoptomized builds to level, that's how pretty much every other quest works. More bosses are all fine, and I love that you add them, but it should not be in the middle of a mid level area.
Cubicle
Retired Staff

Unread post by Cubicle »

In one of my previous posts, I suggested closing her cave off and giving it a single entrance, with a door. I'll give the players a mechanical warning before entering the Brood Mother's den. Would that be fair? You'll still have the option of running in and grabbing an egg before fleeing, since there's a door. Low level characters will still be able to grind without ever encountering the Brood Mother.

Atm, I plan on adding several epic boss encounters in the same fashion and upgrading the bosses we do have. As things now are, who actually kills the undead dragon, who even remembers the drow priestess from Oghrann? After I'm done with these boss spawns, they'll remember... I'll add bosses to underutilized areas in the UD as well.

Maybe I'll limit her petrification gaze instead. Spontaneous should help though. I haven't tested it yet, but most creatures run up and cast before they attack. I prefer it to be more of a surprise.
Velaris
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Velaris »

That all sounds great. :)

We grouped and killed the undead dragon recently, and it was an underwhelming fifteen seconds.

I really hope that something could be done to make their chest loot worth it though. It definitely feels like I have a better chance to get something good, well, anywhere else than from boss chests.
Or make big bosses act like chests once they fall, so everyone can loot it. Then it's not just one person getting something.
Is that even possible?
Cubicle
Retired Staff

Unread post by Cubicle »

Loot will be adjusted too. ;)
adobongmanok

Unread post by adobongmanok »

Velaris wrote:That all sounds great. :)

We grouped and killed the undead dragon recently, and it was an underwhelming fifteen seconds
This. Also...I do kill the priestess...people laugh at me that I do! How about add some boss driders while we're at it!

Going back topic, yeah I think make it like one room just like that one on east mist lake. You can grind while she sits there, letting her own kind getting killed. :dance:
R'ju - Main, Retired Trader, Member of Bregan D'aerthe
Ledger and Journal Entries: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=65232

Reiju - Ebon Blades Mercenary (PM Me if you need me to login)
Egg Shen

Unread post by Egg Shen »

Just out of curiosity, since I wasn't here when the decision to change them was made, does anybody know what originally prompted the removal of the stone-gaze from the rank and file basilisks?
Cubicle
Retired Staff

Unread post by Cubicle »

^^ Oh yes. A Drider Boss for the Wilds...and also another creature...something truly vile.

^ This is the link. It's a toss up tbh. Some players hate the basilisks, some prefer them. https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... i+basilisk
BigJ

Unread post by BigJ »

Have to say love the new brood mother guarding the eggs. Don't move her, makes you have to come up with a tactic to nab the egg and run (Thanks to whoever put those wands of summoning on the AH. Lvl 4 summon lasted just long enough :D )

Maybe create an 'Alpha' that guards the eggs just the same and move a newly created 'Epic' queen into a cave beneath the eggs, so you have to get past the Alpha and go down into it?

Nice tweak adding her in the first place Cubicle, nice addition under Gloura's too :)

While I'm at it, why not put a low/mid boss in that locked door in Hlal's? I loved that map in the Darkwoods starting a new PC. A boss in there (not epic) would be cool. Perhaps even a minor quest from Klix to go kill him as he's stealing his slaves?

Anyhow, Kudos as always Cubicle :)

BigJ
For Ref: My OOC stuff is OOC, my IG stuff is IG, never let the two entwine.
Active PC - Bugg
Past PC's - Bhin'erin Yauntyrr - BIO Istar'rada - BIO Barbaccas - BIO Deceased . Sandrue Tomas - BIO and journal the Ugly Poet[/i]

Return to “Quests”