Knowing which quests you'd like changed would be a good first step ^^
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Re: Suggestion: Reduce quest lockout timer by 4-6 hours

Unread post by Tekill »

Ideally: all of them.
Pragmatically/Selfishly: the UD quests.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

I never played in the UD so you'll have to spell it out for me, sorry, which ones ?
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

My personal preference in order:

Quests reset on a specific day (such as Saturday).
Quests reset after six days.
Remove 6 hours from quest timer.

These are from Sshamath or nearby. I do not have the Rockrun quests.

If this is confusing let me know and I can clean it up.

Quest_name NPC_name
Find the precious plate Pello "Cook"
Ore for the Duergar Gerrig Smottrenth
The Angry Demander Nimruil
Get the Necromancer "Research Subjects" Vaszyne Ken'urden
The Curse of Lolth Yath'abban
S'more Spores Zarmoon
Pesky Slaves Sshamath City Guard
Pesky Slave Dealing Sshamath City Guard
Gather weapons Droin Ironflat
Gather Mushrooms Qualin Kront'tylan
The Lore of Ages Olath M'elzar Valshar
Eroica Hersbrucker, dungeon scout and hired blade

Helpful references:
Complete arcane spell list.
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

Hey there, I wanted to bump this to see if anything's been done. I still think reducing the quest timer from a full week to something less than a week will foster guild events that can be run at a consistent time.

I'd even like to volunteer to do it although I am not sure if you allow one-time scut work like this. I know it's probably a lot of effort due to the number of quests. I'm pretty familiar with the toolset.

Thank you for all you do!

Helpful references:
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Other Underdark Quests:

Rockrun:
Rockrun Ore
Search and Rescue
The Fragmented Sword

Mist Lake:
Strange Soil Samples
Xorena wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:03 pmS'more Spores Zarmoon
It is a quest to return beetle pincers, and it resets with every day, no experience reward, just gold.
Xorena wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:03 pmThe Curse of Lolth Yath'abban
This is actually two-way quest, you can do it in favour of Lolth, or against it if you side with the Drider.

And yeah,
Xorena wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:03 pm Quests reset on a specific day (such as Saturday).
Quests reset after six days.
Remove 6 hours from quest timer.
Any of the above would be preferable to the current server Quest reset timers. Because as it stands, in all due practice, the quests do not reset in seven days, they reset in eight. So if you do a quest on Sunday, a week later you can do it on Monday. It is a matter of player convenience above anything else, because it is far easier to find some time to do them on weekend than on a week day.
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

And anyhow, what I forgot say yesterday was this.

If the reset time period is 6 days and 18 hours, instead of 7+ days it is now, if one is willing to sacrifice all other aspects of their life to do weekly repeatable quests on this server by setting a timer to get them done the moment they refresh...

Well, the year has 52 weeks and 365 days.

52 (Amount of weeks) * 6.75 (How many days for quests to reset) = 351 (Days of the year spent on quest timer)

365 - 351 = 14 days.

Therefore, if someone sacrifices all other aspects of their life to do repeatable quests the moment they are available, one could potentially get two them twice more than everyone else on the server. If one is little bit more lax about it, then they only get to do the repeatable quests one additional time per year. If there is such a man on this server who would see such an effort, well good for him I suppose, and may he never find things of far greater importance. But as for everyone else, it is just a quality of life improvement that allows these quests to be done on the same day of the week.

And from a historical perspective, the seven day + reset timer used to be much less. Then someone complains that it is not exactly seven days, and then the quests reset timer is set to seven days and... Since it is not the best quality of life decision, I usually have to convince a dev to go through the quests scripts to cut few hours off... and so this cycle repeats. So could you just cut some hours off the reset timer, and just add a comment to the script telling no one touch it?
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Oh, and the server is ancient. So perhaps you already have less complaints these days that it is hard to level up, from the people who prefer to sit by campfires instead of 'grinding' in dungeons or quests.

If the quests were to reset on a certain day, or after 6 days and 18 hours, those earlier players could more easily form a weekly habit of doing a few quests in order to slightly boost their experience gain. For example, they could do Puddleboot's and Lozheng's quest and earn something like 1250 experience points in roughly ten to twenty minutes. Or take the carriage to Nashkel, talk to Hunter Harrow, find Radger, and come back to Nashkel for a total of something like 1100 experience points, a bit more if they want to do Maltz (750), Wyvern Egg (650+), and the Missing Key (750??) as all are in that same region, which in total would be something like 30-60 minutes tops. And afterwords they could just return to their usual spot at the campfire, and considering how many of these quests also offer gold rewards, they could do it with very limited starting resources.

And from a more a mechanical point of view, there are some builds that are fun to play but terrible to level. Thus, once again, weekly quests offer a way to level up these more awkward builds without sacrificing all that much time from the hours spent on your main character.

Thus once again, a slightly shorter quest reset period is just a quality of life change.
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

I think the devs/admins are amenable to doing this, but there's a manpower issue, if I interpret Valefort's message correctly. I think there is a good argument for doing this but currently it's a lot of grunt work with potential screwups if the person doesn't understand the quest system well enough.

Helpful references:
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

I fear I may have no choice but to start nagging to Valefort as if I was his wife or something. 'Hey, how are you? Have you been doing anything fun lately... I haven't, just waiting for the in game quests to reset... once again, while planning my schedule for next week.' Etc... Nah.
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

Hi there. While i understand that you find your request quite simple to implement, but Dev teams is super busy with fixing current issues.
Please take it time.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Hi, while I know that banter these days is a bannable offence, I nevertheless cannot help but say some certain things tongue in cheek. And speaking of that, perhaps I should join the discords and stuff and start spamming images of teary eyed animals and stuff. Etc... Meh.

But more seriously, I am sure the change will happen, I just hope that this time around when the reset timers are reset, all of the quests timers are set the exact same number, which means that future changes can be done through a simple query and replace of a line of code. And write down a note of it, so that it makes things easier in the future. Well, at least it would be if this server doesn't use 1001 different ways to reset a quest.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

It doesn't use 100 ways to set quest timers but it's set at quest level, so you have to edit each quest.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Valefort wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:36 amIt doesn't use 100 ways to set quest timers but it's set at quest level, so you have to edit each quest.
I think week ago on Saturday, I finished bunch of quests around 3 PM in the afternoon. Those quests were available again on Sunday morning around 8 AM, after a server reset, so if the quest reset timers are reduced by 24 hours each, I think it should be enough.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Well, it seems that for a week now, quests resets have fallen on the same days. Thus if quest timers were adjusted, you have my thanks. You truly do... If nothing has been done, I guess the number of server updates a while back just played its usual tricks on quest timers.

Return to “Quests”