Suggestion: Reduce quest lockout timer by 4-6 hours

Suggestions for Improving Existing Quests, Ideas for Future Quests

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Xorena

Suggestion: Reduce quest lockout timer by 4-6 hours

Unread post by Xorena »

Hey all,

Would the team consider reducing the quest lockout timer by 4-6 hours? Right now quests are on I believe a weekly timer.

My little UD guild likes to do quests on a specific day because that's when most people are available. It helps us facilitate RP and build IC connections. But when the quest lockout timer is a week, then that means we can't do the quests as a group until the timer is up, so we have to rotate days or skip a week.

If we reduced the timer by about 4-6 hours, that means we could keep our weekly date for questing as the timers will have already been expired in time for our event.

I appreciate the consideration of this suggestion.

Also, I highly recommend quest nights! It gives you something to do and benefits everyone regardless of level.
Eroica Hersbrucker, dungeon scout and hired blade

Helpful references:
Complete arcane spell list.
EhpicFellure
Recognized Donor

Re: Suggestion: Reduce quest lockout timer by 4-6 hours

Unread post by EhpicFellure »

I think this would be helpful. We have a group of a few players that like to run some quests together weekly and can't really do it every seven days.. it ends up being every eight days. That makes it hard to say, "let's do this every Tuesday evening." Reducing the timers by 6 hours would allow us to do that.
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

Bumping this to see if we can get some feedback for this issue. Also, maybe if the quest timers were set back a little other guilds could have reliable quest days.

Helpful references:
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Hello!

Not trying to be snarky, but if your guild does quests to generate RP and IC interactions, can’t you do the quests “unmechanically,” meaning just pretend to collect the items?

As far as I know, no quests give a special key or permissions to the quester(s) in order to compete the quests, so just RPing that you talked to the quest giver, then traveling IG to where one “does” the quest, RPing the acquire/completion, then returning to the NPC and RPing the final completion...this is ALWAYS possible.

Quests generate a significant amount of XP, the UD giving even more than the Surface quests if you add up the weekly total of all quests by region. This XP remains consistent independent of Level, which means it is one of the quickest and best ways to level up an Epic Toon without grinding.

I think the Server paradigm is still to slow down leveling overall.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

Maybe I am being ignorant here, but don't the quests reset exactly 1 week after they were completed?

I've at least seen several my own quests require multiple days to reset because I completed them over multiple days.

If that's the case, why not just coordinate when you do the quests, by skipping one week of quests to make sure everyone have them available?
Adrian Baker - An innocent virtuoso (bio | journal)
Relyth Ravan'Thala - Bear of an Elf
Timothy Daleson - Paladin Wand Maker
Duncan Matsirani - A wanderer
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

zhazz wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:22 am Maybe I am being ignorant here, but don't the quests reset exactly 1 week after they were completed?

I've at least seen several my own quests require multiple days to reset because I completed them over multiple days.

If that's the case, why not just coordinate when you do the quests, by skipping one week of quests to make sure everyone have them available?
They do reset a week later, yes. The problem becomes, if we decide to meet at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday each week to do quests, then turn them in at 11 p.m., the quests will not reset until 11 p.m. on Tuesday. Then we have to skip a week.

We don't want to skip a week. We have lives and schedules and our RP time is precious and hard to come by.

Helpful references:
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Well, I think I finally understand what is being asked! :doh:

Why not just ask for Quests to reset every 6 days? That request just seems much more straight forward.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

Steve wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:48 am Well, I think I finally understand what is being asked! :doh:

Why not just ask for Quests to reset every 6 days? That request just seems much more straight forward.
Or just always reset Saturday morning at 06:00 GMT, regardless of when they were completed?
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

Either of those two solutions would work for me. I like a universal reset time actually.

How can we elevate this to someone who can do something about it?

Helpful references:
Endelyon

Unread post by Endelyon »

I understand the position of the request and unfortunately this would be a pretty extensive rework because of how our quest system works. If a developer takes interest and volunteers I won't block them from doing it, but this would require making script changes in the dialogue for every single quest individually, so many hours of time. Doing a weekly timed reset of all the quests would be feasible, but only if I can think of a way to do this without having to change every dialogue individually.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

No promises, which quests are we talking about ?
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

I haven't looked at NWN2 scripting in a looong while.

However, having worked as a software developer before, I wonder if it's not possible to reuse bits of code in the NWN2 scripting engine?
So that it's only one place that quest resets need to be changed, rather than copy/paste for every quest.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

It's well written as far as I'm concerned, one function for all the quests with cooldown as a parameter. So you have to edit quest dialogs (which can be kinda annoying depending on the quest) for each quest to alter their timers in that case.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

Let me know if I can do anything to help facilitate this. I have done some TS work before and altering dialogues isn't hard, just tedious if you need to do it a bunch.

Helpful references:

Return to “Quests”