Fishing!

Suggestions That Have Been Implemented or Will Not Be Implemented at This Time

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

casadechrisso

Fishing!

Unread post by casadechrisso »

I think we need more fishing spots around, there are some obvious candidates like Nashkel for example that badly need one. Just saying. I can provide a list of suggestions if needed, it's long. :)

Also! Making fish cookable would be really nice.

So, my list, to be updated:

Nashkel: River and pond.

Soubar: Pond (maybe once there's life in Soubar again)

Roaringhore

Beach near Candlekeep

Corm Orp has a nice spot already, but I don't know why the pond where the fishing halfling sits is not one.
Last edited by casadechrisso on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maecius
Retired Admin

Re: Fishing!

Unread post by Maecius »

Please provide a list. Other players can help you out, of course.

Such a list would make it a lot easier for the area designers and developers to know where they need/might want to put fishing scripts. Otherwise they have to look at maps individually or do the legwork themselves in game instead of building!
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Nashkel
Lion's Way - Beach and that Pond near the bridge would be cool.
Tradeway North of Beregost - River

Those are off the top of my head. I used to have a list somewhere but it may be outdated. If the OP will update their post with a running list that would be awesome.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
electric mayhem

Unread post by electric mayhem »

~Claret - Proprietor of Clarity Cellars.
~Wouveir - Hellstorm Crew
~Adolamin Marblerune - Arcane Engineer and Lorekeeper citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak. [His Story]
~Harrison Remillard - Morninglord of the Song of the Morning Temple.

casadechrisso

I'll update the post with some more locations once I can walk around ingame again. So far only a few that come to my mind before I had my first coffee.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

You're going to end up with flying sharks :whistle:
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
casadechrisso

It's been a while, but I'd like to whine a little more and ask for support for more seclusive fishing! :)

Two things first and foremost: Corm Orp's merchant sells bait, but only one single stack of ten, not unlimited. That's criminal because it can lead to PvP between players fighting over it. :)

Then there's Doron Amar with some nice fishing spots along the river but apparently no merchant who sells bait (or a rod or hat)... :(

As for my suggestion to include Soubar, either it was updated or I didn't discover the spot at the lake yet when I made it, so either nevermind or thanks! :)

I'm also supporting the suggestion to include Roaringshore from the other thread if that's still an issue (fishing corpses and boots sounds fun btw).
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

yes there was a one time you could dig up bait fro mka ground but only one place and it is not there anymore but can you fishing river of Corm Orp?
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

Valefort wrote:You're going to end up with flying sharks :whistle:
I think flying sharks would be the only reason you would get me fishing in this game.
What is the appeal to fishing for you guys- is there something about it I am missing?
Serious question- not rhetorical. To me it seems worse than questing/grinding- you just stand there and cast. I have a character with a half decent survival skill - sell me on this fishing thing.

If you guys are spending hours of your life sitting at a computer playing a toon that basically stands in one spot, then I have to risk sounding like my annoying uncle and tell you to get out of the house and get some fresh air for pete sakes!

Fishing in IRL can be fun.
You do not get experience points but you do get experience and apparently, fish.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

Tekill wrote:
I think flying sharks would be the only reason you would get me fishing in this game.
What is the appeal to fishing for you guys- is there something about it I am missing?
Serious question- not rhetorical. To me it seems worse than questing/grinding- you just stand there and cast. I have a character with a half decent survival skill - sell me on this fishing thing.

If you guys are spending hours of your life sitting at a computer playing a toon that basically stands in one spot, then I have to risk sounding like my annoying uncle and tell you to get out of the house and get some fresh air for pete sakes!

You do not get experience points but you do get experience and apparently, fish.
Fishing holds two advantages:

1) You can run a macro (or press the button) while doing something else. Work, art, playing another game, whatever! And its not actually AFK grinding, because you are still at your keyboard and you can still respond IG. Its a great way to passively get a bit of XP while doing something else. You could pay attention to the fishing, but you could also watch paint dry.

2) It can serve as bonus XP for the campfire RP that fishing spots usually turn into.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
casadechrisso

Tekill wrote:

It's not a good xp source at all, only when combined with RP. But chatting and fishing is a nice combinbation. It has nothing to do with grinding xp, it's just a flavor thing I and some others enjoy. Sort of meditative, you can do it half-afk, one of the few things that can be multitasked easily, and there's a little bit of gambling involved. The thought that someone would make a macro for it to autorun sounds ridiculous to me to be honest. It's also capped at, I believe 1500xp per reset, so pretty much every other source of xp is better mechanically.
But I often can't be arsed to go grinding, I'm usually getting a headache after an hour, or after heavy RP I just want to be alone with my character for a while and relax. That's really all there is to it. I also like looking at my character when I write an IC post or something to stay immersed and in their mindset, and fishing is a nice side activity while doing that.
Vagrant

Unread post by Vagrant »

Tekill wrote:

I don't mean to sound snarky but this comment is a tad presumptuous and condescending. For many fishing IRL is fun. But what about those who cannot fish IRL? What about those who are disabled and this is the only way they get any semblance of social interaction or taste for what outdoor activity might be like? If you are plainly speaking to those who have the ability to fish IRL, then also consider that some people live in climates that are not conducive to that. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but perhaps a little thought before shaking your finger at people who like to fish on the server, would make a big difference.

Furthermore, people have different reasons to play NWN2 online. For some it is grinding and questing to get to 30 asap. For others it is more about the qualitative side of experience and I am sure there are other reasons. Just because something may not have value to you, doesn't mean that it isn't valuable to others. I love to fish on the server, and am more than capable of fishing IRL. It is not a good source of Xp, but it is a good source of immersion. For the casual IRL fisherman, even they understand the value of sitting quietly and watching a bobber in the water. Tekill, if your tone was not meant to be negative then please clarify that. Otherwise, we are forced to assume the remaining 80% of the message.

So to exercise my own advice, I am being level with you. Not angry or chippy.
Arendyll
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

I wast 100% intentionally being presumptuous and condescending and I regret nothing- wooo!!

And thanks for your answers I now understand why folk fish in game. So yeah, RPing while fishing or while multitasking makes sense. Okay I get it. You have my permission to continue...proceed.

But.
If you want a
taste for what outdoor activity might be like?
then I would just go outdoors.

:animals-worm: :animals-fishgreen: :character-jaws:
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Let's remain courteous in here, per the forum rules, please.
metaquad4 wrote:You can run a macro (or press the button) while doing something else. Work, art, playing another game, whatever! And its not actually AFK grinding, because you are still at your keyboard and you can still respond IG. Its a great way to passively get a bit of XP while doing something else. You could pay attention to the fishing, but you could also watch paint dry.
I'd just be careful of this, though. While macros are not "outlawed," AFK grinding is:

– AFK Grinding
– AFK grinding is illegal. This rule also applies to using automated techniques for fishing, emoting, or chatting while AFK. Under no circumstances should your character be performing any action while you are not at your keyboard.

(Emphasis added.)

If DMs catch someone abusing macros to AFK fish or something, and the player's not responding when talked to or even ported to a new map? The player in question will probably get docked a lot of XP at the very least.
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

people dont know you can sell fish and fish is food as well as all that meat you can get but kill bears and others stuff like that

Return to “Closed Suggestions”