Talk of Lolthite area before 2018?

For Discussing Plot, Setting, and In Character Developments in an Out of Character Forum

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Darker_Thought

Talk of Lolthite area before 2018?

Unread post by Darker_Thought »

KhaosKid wrote:Pretty new here, and not very knowledgeable with the toolset or anything, but what about creating a Drow city that's somewhat nearby?
Answer
Aspect of Sorrow wrote:The underdark will be getting a Lolth and Vha city presence before 2018.
Quotes above from topic: viewtopic.php?f=451&t=62034

Im curious about the statement of the Lolthite preccence. Has any Lolthite city been implemented since we shifted to 2018? Or how is this statement supoosed to be interperated? :)

And if such. What is the estimation in time and date for an implementation? Since ive not seen any updates regarding the UD on this issue before the change of year i take it it hasn't happened yet.

Theres quite many Lolthite in the UD at the moment. And ive seen several new players as well wanting to try it out, but playing Lolthite drow in a city that is not really Lolthite hampers, and makes it hard to utilize the full potential of the rp style :)

A city of our own(Or maybe just an outpost? Like Szith) would be a massive step forward and those of us who wishes to experience the roleplay that the Lolthite society offers. Give us an environment to see where this leads :)
Last edited by Darker_Thought on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"NWNScript is what happens when you ask Satan to turn C into a scripting language." - DM Doom
Cubicle
Retired Staff

Re: Talk of Lolthite area before 2018?

Unread post by Cubicle »

Sshamath's too friendly for Lolthites?

I can't say if there's something in the works, or not, but what else do Lolthites really need that Sshamath can't provide? There's a Lolth temple, there's Spider's Kiss and even a few Lolth friendly Guild Houses. Do Lolthites really need an entire city to RP worshipping Lolth properly?

Btw, if you can find some maps/pics/prefabs for the City you're looking for, post them here. Maybe I'll wrap my mind around 200+ Hrs of work this Drow city idea. :|
flipside43

Unread post by flipside43 »

I don't know what people have in mind but Erydlyn is dominated by three faiths: Lolth, Ghaunadaur, and Vhaeraun. It's under the High Moor so it's in our setting. It's not traditional lolth completely though and another trade city. It's more Lolth oriented though.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eryndlyn
Luke Darius - Clansman of House Darius, Noble of Baldur's Gate
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

flipside43 wrote:I don't know what people have in mind but Erydlyn is dominated by three faiths: Lolth, Ghaunadaur, and Vhaeraun. It's under the High Moor so it's in our setting. It's not traditional lolth completely though and another trade city. It's more Lolth oriented though.

This is what I'm working on.
Nachti
Retired Staff

Unread post by Nachti »

And i work on following PrCs:

Arachnomancer
Arachne
Drow Judicator
Dark Mask
Sword Dancer
Lighters

Unread post by Lighters »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:
flipside43 wrote:I don't know what people have in mind but Erydlyn is dominated by three faiths: Lolth, Ghaunadaur, and Vhaeraun. It's under the High Moor so it's in our setting. It's not traditional lolth completely though and another trade city. It's more Lolth oriented though.

This is what I'm working on.
Does that mean that even more maps will be removed to make way for this, are we splitting the server, or did you find a solution for having areas not impact the module?
Aspect of Sorrow

Some underutilized maps may be axed, but this area will also be a testbed for new methods of memory allocation.
Darker_Thought

Cubicle wrote:Sshamath's too friendly for Lolthites?

I can't say if there's something in the works, or not, but what else do Lolthites really need that Sshamath can't provide? There's a Lolth temple, there's Spider's Kiss and even a few Lolth friendly Guild Houses. Do Lolthites really need an entire city to RP worshipping Lolth properly?

Btw, if you can find some maps/pics/prefabs for the City you're looking for, post them here. Maybe I'll wrap my mind around 200+ Hrs of work this Drow city idea. :|
If you have experience rping drow as Lolthites for awhile, you will realise that Sshamath is not ideal in any way for players wishing to utilize the roleplay.

A city run by male wizards that is tolerate of Surfacers goes against everything Lolthites stand for. Merely putting a temple in it is not a solution. This comes from personal experience as roleplaying Lolthite drow on Nwn 2 for 9 years, from back to 2008 where the first server for me and many other Lolthite players who migrated here come from "The Forgotten Realm" server which had a Lolthite outpost that turned into a Ctity (Called Szith) gave way for some amazing roleplay experiences.

Lolthites take up the majority of the drow population and Sshamath and a few other cities are unique in this matter as outsiders.

Theres a reason why a lot of players ive spoken to, have quit playing in the UD, from discussion its that Sshamath is not equiped with the right environment to have a sustainable and optimized Lolthite drow roleplay.

Drow Lolthites are Religious Extremists and is build on Female Supremacy. It just doesnt work out. So lots of players put restrictions on their characters to fit the surfacers walking around in Sshamath as well as bowing to a sex their religion prohibits.

I have seen first hand on nearly a decade of roleplaying Lolthite drow that when put in an environment where the Lolthite community can grow and be free to fully roleplay the race and its religous beliefs there are some pretty good roleplay events and experiences that is gained.

* Large events by Arach-Tinlith in the middle of the city where the priestesses perform everything from cermonial sacrifices and Quellar feudes of Shadow Wars between the drow houses.

* The challange of rping a drow male in this society trying to gain power and influence in a city where the female divine rules.

I think that some people might read this and say that this is "nonsense" and that Sshamath is perfect or adaquite. My opinion and that of the majority of the "want to rp Lolthites" ive spoken to believe we need our own environment to be able to fully play Drow.

Lolthite Drow was on my past servers and I beleive still the amazing contrast that makes the Underdark interesting and "Different" from The Surface. Give us an outpost such as the outpost "Szith" (Lisa you know what I'm talking about) to let us dig into an amazing lore concept that have defined drow throughout lore as we know it.

Anyone who have read the R.A Salvatore books of Drizzt and War of the Spider Queen knows there is lots of potential to tap into here. This have worked in the past on several servers and I think it may work here as well.
Give us a chance to show you the amazin roleplay oppertunities that Lolthite rp offers. Give the veterans of the Lolthites a reason to come back, and share the knowledge to include new players :)

Cubicle wrote:Btw, if you can find some maps/pics/prefabs for the City you're looking for, post them here. Maybe I'll wrap my mind around 200+ Hrs of work this Drow city idea. :|
I will see what I can dig up about the Szith outpost. Believe the full name is "Szith Morcane". I Am also ready to help out with the Lore of the Outpost/Area, planning the outlay, writing the descriptions, and building in the Toolset etc to as much as I can. I also know a few who know the Lolthite lore very well who can aid in this as well if we are given the oppertunity as well as, aid in giving new players the Basic RP Guidelines, and Lore of the different institutions, and the religion :)
Last edited by Darker_Thought on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"NWNScript is what happens when you ask Satan to turn C into a scripting language." - DM Doom
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

i know what you mean D_T. i made a menzo based RP drow lolthite. it was difficult to maintain the RP while still trying to inter-associate with those already there. it was like they RP a world where menzoberanzan does not even exist and that the only culture is the one created for Sshamath.

you could put an orc tavern and temple to nishrek in BG and it would still not be a very welcome place for savage orcs..
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Based on that, do you think adding a 2nd city would split the RP into two groups? (Because it sounds like you're saying the RP can't happen together right now).

What is your (anyone reading this) perception of UD population? How many players during peak and/or off peak times?

AoS or Valefort, is there a way to look at stats on spawn-ins to the UD choices from the Nexus vs surface over time? I am curious about how that splits.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Endelyon

Unread post by Endelyon »

UD population is pretty low in the overall scope of things (both in terms of player time spend down there and characters rolled), but AoS has been an active UD player himself and I'm confident he knows which areas would be underutilized on that side of the server to make room for the others (we notably didn't axe any UD areas in our map overhaul because I literally just don't know what's needed down there).
Darker_Thought

Planehopper wrote:Based on that, do you think adding a 2nd city would split the RP into two groups? (Because it sounds like you're saying the RP can't happen together right now).
The point Im trying to make is that the Lolthite potential for roleplay is hampered by Sshamaths culture and rule. There is no place for Lolthites in Sshamath. This is why so many keep quiting. Roleplaying a Yath'rin(Priestess) or Yath'allar(High Priestess) in Sshamath doesn't work...It turns to some sort of semi-Lolth(But not really, and then we sit in the bar with the human surfacers!) which frustrates us players who know the particular way of roleplay of the Lolthites.

I fully understand that you are carefull with the servers resources and how such an area could work with the rest of the server but I will argue for its possibility.

At the least: Lets have a look at the possibilities of what such an area...if correctly constructed and planned could add to the roleplaying experience of The Server of Baldurs Gate.

I would also like to add to Planehopper's comment in response to the request for an example of Szith that we have some good sources still alive from our Past server TFR see link below:
http://szithcity.aforumfree.com/forum

Edit: (Here lies everything from the path of the Priestess... To the steps of becomming a Mage in Sorcere.... Theres extensive instructions and Lore still around for all to see. And I would gladely see that knowledge that has been carefully nursed throughout the years go to this server)
DreWalker

Unread post by DreWalker »

I always have voted yes for Llothite cities. and I continue to do so!
Irrtana-Yathrin
Draya- surviving
Hecatecat

Unread post by Hecatecat »

As a new player I agree with Darker_Thought. I love drows who are devoted to Lolth in every aspect of their life and Sshamath is not a place for playing such a character. I mean you can but it is dificult and sometimes not fun.
Aspect of Sorrow

* Lolthite RP, while significant, is not the majority of UD specific RP.

* WotSQ and Salvatore books is not authoritative nor all-encompassing in UD lore, despite acknowledging it is a large influence of drow character creations.

* Sshamath areas was created due to fitting the server under a myriad of reasons both IC and OOC.

* Lolthite environs when introduced will still be subjected to the OOC rules.

The following areas are chosen for preliminary removal / adjustment :

z_sshamath_south : Removal, ATs moved into z_sshamath proper. (~24 MB)
z_underdark_ulitharid : Removal, shop contents and osquip moved (~56 MB)
z_underdark_oghrann : Removal, spawn / contents moved (~42 MB)

This frees 122 MB to incorporate two ARE/GIT budgeted tunnel connected interiors (11 MB each), with a 100 MB budget to Erydlyn's exterior and interior creation that spans more than just Lolth following RP.

Return to “OOC Discussion (Underdark)”