SURVEY: Underdark and PvP

For Discussing Plot, Setting, and In Character Developments in an Out of Character Forum

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Should we change the server policy regarding PvP (Kill on sight) engagements?

Poll ended at Fri May 10, 2019 1:13 pm

The Underdark becomes full Kill on Sight as long as specific Rules of Engagement apply.
64%
The Underdark should have specific Kill on Sight areas other than what already exists.
3%
The Underdark should stay the same in regards to PvP rules.
33%

Total votes: 39

DM Vanquish

SURVEY: Underdark and PvP

Unread post by DM Vanquish »

This is a survey to quantitatively measure the sentiments of the players in the Underdark. This is only a survey and does not reflect the intentions or disposition of the staff at Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast Chronicles. There will be a post on the Forum made by DM Vanquish for those in the community who wish to discuss the concept. I should clarify. This is my own independent study. Please do not panic or bombard the DM Team with protests.

Please feel free to discuss this topic while maintain respect and civility for all involved.

Thank you for your time Underdarkers!
I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Re: SURVEY: Underdark and PvP

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

It was always amusing for me that surfacers in the UD are feeling much safer than drow on the surface, since when you're drow on the surface, you can be attacked on sight almost everywhere. In the UD, all the KoS areas are located west of Varalla's passage, and surfacers simply have no reasons to visit them/travel through them, while in the Upperdark normal PvP rules apply for everyone. In other words, a surfacer can freely reach Sshamath without walking through a single KoS area, while a drow walks through at least 2 of them trying to reach, let's say, Soubar and much more of them trying to reach other places.

About KoS rule, though. I have never seen this rule used in action, and I'm glad I haven't. Moreover, many times I've seen surface players RP'ing with drow in the UD wilds and no single time were they attacked. Imho, this rule is soooo anti-RP, I'd say it should be rephrased or deleted, but since nobody uses it anyway I don't care much. I, myself, stand for more freedom of interractions between surface and the UD. Let's face it — the times of drow camping at Lion Way are in the past, while anti-loot scripts are doing the rest. Times changed.

About my feelings as an UD player... There are indeed some people who treat UD population as annoying mass that bothers them grinding/shopping, but it's been really a while since I saw such people. Since it was PvP mentioned here, if a person walks away/continues grinding while mouthing my character off/ignoring her, it simply doesn't count as a RP out as it escalates the hostilities, so I'm fine with the things as they are.
Last edited by KOPOJIbPAKOB on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
Avanos

Unread post by Avanos »

I think you need to remake the poll.
When I clicked the thread it told me that my vote was already cast.

But I choose full KOS just to be clear.
DM Vanquish

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3170

This is a quick link for those who are not clear on the current policies.
I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.
DM Vanquish

Avanos wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:30 pm I think you need to remake the poll.
When I clicked the thread it told me that my vote was already cast.

But I choose full KOS just to be clear.
I gave the option to change your vote Avanos. You should be able to do that.
wangxiuming

Unread post by wangxiuming »

What does "Full KOS as long as specific Rules of Engagement apply" mean? What would those rules of engagement be?

It seems to me like the existing rules can already be interpreted to fit within the above. It's just the specific rules of engagement are very narrow, so it's only really KOS for easily-identifiable surfacers in the UD (not counting the Upperdark and Sshamath).
- Underdark players on the surface, and surface players within the tunnels of the Underdark, who have been identified are considered to have consented to PvP and may be killed on sight. The exceptions are for the city of Sshamath and the Upperdark, where all involved are still required to follow normal PvP rules.

Characters outfitted in a way that completely hides their identifying features require the aggressor to apply normal PvP rules, regardless of which side the disguised character is from. The disguise must be complete and hoods by themselves do not count. Patterns of speech, accents, body language, and other distinctive qualities are discerned only through roleplay over time, and details such as "a funny-sounding name" or the size of the character alone do not count for the purposes of identification.
I voted, but I regret casting my vote without getting a clearer idea of what's being proposed. =X
Kaeldre

Unread post by Kaeldre »

wangxiuming wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:59 pm What does "Full KOS as long as specific Rules of Engagement apply" mean? What would those rules of engagement be?

It seems to me like the existing rules can already be interpreted to fit within the above. It's just the specific rules of engagement are very narrow, so it's only really KOS for easily-identifiable surfacers in the UD (not counting the Upperdark and Sshamath).
I think it means that if you are intent on going into battle with another player, then you still have to go up to them and role-play your intent. As an agressor you would still have to wait for their response before making a move. Maybe they would take up arms against you, try to talk their way out of it or simply teleport away. The difference is that you would no longer need to offer an RP-Out, it would be a choice you can make yourself. In essence, you would no longer need both parties' consent to do battle.

The current rules which you stated are for interaction between underdarkers and surfacers only. These changes would also affect the interaction solely between underdarkers. Basically, these changes would make for greater consequence to your chosen actions in the Underdark. For better or worse.
Lilith, The Sorceress
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

Jhael, The Betrayer
"To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it"

J'hannis, The Devout
"To embrace apathy is to be marked by death"

Return to “OOC Discussion (Underdark)”