Bhaalyn Roleplay

Moderators: Moderator, DM

The Whistler

Re: Bhaalyn Roleplay

Unread post by The Whistler »

RagingPeace wrote:I might be interested in this, though my character would mostly be into it for the gold, at least at first, who knows if he picked up a bit of religion. :)

What kind of direction do you have in mind? Would it be mostly monster slaying, or would the idea be to slay NPCs and PCs. It's difficult for assassins to flourish when the previous targets keep re-appearing, it simply isn't good for business! :p
Personally, I'd like to stay away from reckless PC slaying due to aforementioned reasons and the inevitable butthurt that follows an assassination. But pontiffs of opposing faiths (for example Ameris, before he retired) who speak out against Bhaal or the Dark Three in general and acknowledge the risks that come with it, should be fair game.

Perhaps more politically inclined PCs will use the faction as a means of removing NPCs standing between them and their goals. To my knowledge there's been no killing of prominent NPCs to advance an agenda on the server which is a bit of a disappointment.

In short, my idea of this guild is a political tool veiled behind religious righteousness. Not some way for PCs to get back at their ex'es or random people who called them an idiot on the road.
Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

The Whistler wrote:Personally, I'd like to stay away from reckless PC slaying due to aforementioned reasons and the inevitable butthurt that follows an assassination.
That's a fair and expected desire, Big Whistley. Though, as you know, Bhaal doesn't care—he just wants death to happen (every Tenday, else...you're beholden to him for DOUBLE DEATHS to make up for the deficit!!).
The Whistler wrote:Perhaps more politically inclined PCs will use the faction as a means of removing NPCs standing between them and their goals. To my knowledge there's been no killing of prominent NPCs to advance an agenda on the server which is a bit of a disappointment.
Again, this requires actual Storylines, using Evil-minded PCs, supported by DMs. The paradigm is that it's easy to kill/win over DM-generated Evil, but almost nearly entirely IMPOSSIBLE to kill off a Lore-based NPC, or even a Flaming Fist guard!!
The Whistler wrote:In short, my idea of this guild is a political tool veiled behind religious righteousness. Not some way for PCs to get back at their ex'es or random people who called them an idiot on the road.
The idea is awesome. But it requires Players with Characters as antagonists to Bhaalist RP, to be willing to win/lose in the Big RP of it all. How many Players can you say would be willing to place their Character in such a situation? It's one thing to be super open to PvP, but what about real conflict that involved killing/murder that should very much end the life of the PC/NPC!!!

Maybe, and very possibly, the only way to manifest an idea like this, is to create both pos/neg. sides of the equation, at the same time. As in, a few Players create Bhaalists and a few create Illmatari, and they all know about each other, and they know that the goal in this "game," is to find a way to overcome the Other. Fully using all that is available on BGTSCC IC, to make that happen.

But it would be already skewed, me thinks, because the Good Forces are in about a 80/20% position over Evil Forces. It would be far too easy to squash a Bhaalist Cult, atm. Unless, something like this would happen: Zhentarim offer lodging in Darkhold to the Bhaalists, in order to use them as tools; the Cult of the Dragon furnish them with secrets and powers; the Thieves Guild employs them for assassinations in order to protect their "neutrality" position; the Red Wizards provide safe and secret lodging in the Gate in order to enact the Bhaalist's murders; The Church of Shar provide dark insight and guidance; etc..

Sounds pretty cool!!! :twisted:

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
The Whistler

Unread post by The Whistler »

There's plenty of NPC human waste to take your bloodthirst out on in the form of bandits, pirates and even cultists. I've always thought that a murder a tenday is a bit excessive if it doesn't only apply to clergymen; a relatively small cult of 10 would incur such a bodycount in such a short amount of time that they wouldn't last long in a civilized area.

You make a good point about DM supervision but that's just the side dish, not the main course. Day to day activities of the guild would include training (be it roleplay, or dungeon crawls), being quizzed in bhaalist canon, blood sacrifice accompanied by sermons and other pleasant stuff like that. Enough to keep folk interested and wanting to come back until something major appears on the horizon, like a contract killing or a DM plot.

I'll touch upon the rest later, but all in all I believe you're overthinking it a bit. :P
Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

The Whistler wrote:... but all in all I believe you're overthinking it a bit. :P
Steve wrote:I just want to kill.
:lol: :twisted:

RagingPeace

Unread post by RagingPeace »

FYI: I just visited Bhaals temple in Baldur's gate undercity, besides from all the undead it was pretty lonely down there!
Gunnar Vintarskjold, Champion of Tempus
Theadric Trickshot - Hiatus - Hunting Yuan-Ti in Chult.
Zeke Slywit, Ebon Blade - Enjoying retirement in Luiren.
Drogo, Trustworthy thief
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

RagingPeace wrote:FYI: I just visited Bhaals temple in Baldur's gate undercity, besides from all the undead it was pretty lonely down there!
It is such a great Area!

And yes...a starting point for roleplay.

A few weeks ago, I PM'd the HDMs about Rules/usage of this Area for Player-driven events, and to request some mechanical changes in order to provide more non-PvE sections, to drive PC interaction. But I have yet to get a response! :|

RagingPeace

Unread post by RagingPeace »

Steve wrote:
RagingPeace wrote:FYI: I just visited Bhaals temple in Baldur's gate undercity, besides from all the undead it was pretty lonely down there!
It is such a great Area!

And yes...a starting point for roleplay.

A few weeks ago, I PM'd the HDMs about Rules/usage of this Area for Player-driven events, and to request some mechanical changes in order to provide more non-PvE sections, to drive PC interaction. But I have yet to get a response! :|
We can always RP by the rotting mage :D
Gunnar Vintarskjold, Champion of Tempus
Theadric Trickshot - Hiatus - Hunting Yuan-Ti in Chult.
Zeke Slywit, Ebon Blade - Enjoying retirement in Luiren.
Drogo, Trustworthy thief
Incarnate

Unread post by Incarnate »

The Whistler wrote:Who am I going to be a dragon to, though ? I mentioned taking an advisory role as I have little desire to lead myself. Big bad's right hand man is the role I excel in and I've already got a leadership role in another guild, making me a bad candidate for 'grandmaster'. If you're volunteering though Steve we can discuss details.
Had you wanted to do it under the banner of Bane, then there already is one working on establishing a presence - if you're interested then pm me.
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Incarnate wrote:
The Whistler wrote:Who am I going to be a dragon to, though ? I mentioned taking an advisory role as I have little desire to lead myself. Big bad's right hand man is the role I excel in and I've already got a leadership role in another guild, making me a bad candidate for 'grandmaster'. If you're volunteering though Steve we can discuss details.
Had you wanted to do it under the banner of Bane, then there already is one working on establishing a presence - if you're interested then pm me.
Well, you've got the necromancy part in order! :lol:
Wait ... does Bane have anything to do with necromancy? :oops:
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Incarnate

Unread post by Incarnate »

Zanniej wrote:
Incarnate wrote:
Well, you've got the necromancy part in order! :lol:
Wait ... does Bane have anything to do with necromancy? :oops:
I only have one word here that seems to indicate that Bane does have something to do with Necromancy: Baneguards!

BG:TSCC Wiki: Create Baneguard

Dogma: Serve no one but Bane. Fear him always and make others fear him even more than you do. The Black Hand always strikes down those who stand against it in the end. Defy Bane and die - or in death find loyalty to him, for he shall compel it. Submit to the word of Bane as uttered by his ranking clergy, since true power can only be gained through service to him. Spread the dark fear of Bane. It is the doom of those who do not follow him to let power slip through their hands Those who cross the Black Hand meet their dooms earlier and more harshly than those who worship other deities.

Clergy and Temples: Bane orders his clerics and followers to achieve positions of power within their society, either through force or trickery, and to use that power to further the cause of hate, fear, destruction, and strife. The Black Hand much prefers that his clerics subvert to governments and carry out their agendas under the cover of the rule of law, but he tolerates a limited amount of discord and debauchery. Torture, beatings, and calculated assassinations frequently come into play in such operations, and rare indeed is the initiate of the Lord of Darkness who does not possess at least rudimentary skill in such enterprises. The church operates under a strict hierarchy - questioning or disobeying the orders of a superior is an insult to Bane's supremacy, and is punishable by torture, disfigurement, or death.

I would say that this opens a lot of possibilities and rp potential - this fits especially well with the main idea of the original post, with the exception of it being under the banner of Bane.

Return to “OOC Discussion (Surface)”