Bhaalyn Roleplay

Moderators: Moderator, DM

The Whistler

Bhaalyn Roleplay

Unread post by The Whistler »

Hey everyone, throughout my 5 year career on the server I've been a witness to several disjointed efforts at religious bhaalyn roleplay, each attaining varying degrees of success. I wanna gauge interest in a more concerted effort this time, as yesterday I was shown a very promising site for that kind of RP.

I'm minded to play a cleric and take an advisory role to the leader if one such decides to step up, of course. I envision a faction of religious slayers not unlike the hassassins of yore but ones that also do a bit of contract killing on the side to gain revenue, Dark Brotherhood-style. Before I delve into any more details, I'd like to hear your thoughts if such a guild could take hold on this server and even flourish. Thanks ahead of time guys
Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: Bhaalyn Roleplay

Unread post by Steve »

What that puck is Bhaalyn?

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
The Whistler

Steve wrote:What that puck is Bhaalyn?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZfdwFdcdg
Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

While both are used in the realms, the one used most frequently here OOC is 'Bhaalist', and is the more appropriate for the region. Just in case your search only included the first.

The assassin's guild of yore was based on bhaalist faith, and may or may not still be around or may have been absorbed into the thieves guild and had the faith part removed. ((thats not snark, I honestly dont know)).

There are still some assassins around from those days, maybe some others will pipe up.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Aaaahhhh...I would have thought this would generate more traction!

Of course, doing anything "evil" on the Surface is phenomenally difficult. Not impossible, but the Player has to be a bit masochistic, in order to try.

Unless...you're willing to kowtow to being "friendly" in order to find any RP interaction at all.

I'd offer, for this idea to manifest, it would require both DM intervention AND decent pro/an-tagonist setup, between Players. Else, I forsee a whole bunch of unhappiness related to CvC gone bad (as in PvP done poorly).

Maybe even...getting a green light to RP Bhaslspawn?!? :twisted:

The Whistler

Yeah, where all the edgelord assassins at ? Come on guys I know you're out there, show yourselves.

A faction like this can give all the hireswords and paid thugs a higher ideal to strive for. Murder in the name of a higher being, not wealth -- the paycheck's just an added bonus. I'm talking about picking up 'raw talent' in the form of violent adventurers then slowly transforming them into ascetic, highly sophisticated and well-versed in bhaalist philosophy killing machines. All you really need is a fortress-temple to bunk in, a grandmaster that acts as the 'face' of the faction and several chaplain-clerics that instill the murderers with religious fervor and remind them in whose name they take life.

I guess such a faction could gain reputation and notoriety by individual PC contracts or even meddling in the political affairs of the Gate. Who wouldn't want a powerful and at the same time opaque organization at his side ?
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

The Whistler wrote: Who wouldn't want a powerful and at the same time opaque organization at his side ?
You mean The Zhentarim?

I do really dig this bit of lore—without citation—related to the dogma:
The nature of what the Lord of Murder has power over is contested - in his best incarnation he may take strength in violently punishing murderers and warmongers, others that he judged whether a murder was righteous or not, while the Bhaalspawn simply believed he wanted more murder.
Underlined bit is my addition. I think that interpretation can go pretty deep...as long as there is some actual outlet for that RP.

Which is my main question: how does a faction under the Bhaalist banner, actually get anything done, in the current milieu of BGTSCC??

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

C'mon People!!

Who wouldn't want to RP a divinely-sanctioned murderer??!!

This like the BEST License to Kill that the game has to offer!

RagingPeace

Unread post by RagingPeace »

I might be interested in this, though my character would mostly be into it for the gold, at least at first, who knows if he picked up a bit of religion. :)

What kind of direction do you have in mind? Would it be mostly monster slaying, or would the idea be to slay NPCs and PCs. It's difficult for assassins to flourish when the previous targets keep re-appearing, it simply isn't good for business! :p
Gunnar Vintarskjold, Champion of Tempus
Theadric Trickshot - Hiatus - Hunting Yuan-Ti in Chult.
Zeke Slywit, Ebon Blade - Enjoying retirement in Luiren.
Drogo, Trustworthy thief
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

There would definitely have to be the murder of of PCs and NPCs. Bhaal's dogma requires a murder every tenday, so...gotta keep busy!! :twisted:

And I'm sure even a few on the Council of Light, wouldn't mind seeing one or another of the Dukes get stabbed...for making poor decisions (re: Zhentarim). :twisted: :twisted:

Either way, a Character in the House of Murder, must have no qualms about killing, whether or not for pleasure, dogma or gold.

RagingPeace

Unread post by RagingPeace »

I'm game.
Gunnar Vintarskjold, Champion of Tempus
Theadric Trickshot - Hiatus - Hunting Yuan-Ti in Chult.
Zeke Slywit, Ebon Blade - Enjoying retirement in Luiren.
Drogo, Trustworthy thief
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Well that's exciting news!

Alright Dragon-in-Chief...take it away!!

The Whistler

Who am I going to be a dragon to, though ? I mentioned taking an advisory role as I have little desire to lead myself. Big bad's right hand man is the role I excel in and I've already got a leadership role in another guild, making me a bad candidate for 'grandmaster'. If you're volunteering though Steve we can discuss details.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

I just want to kill. Consider me the loaded gun...I would also like a trigger man (or woman).

And of course, according to Thids...my main "problem" is I never can be Indian, always Chief. So, yeah...my main gig is the Windspells.

So who will be the Killer Dragon King then?!?!

Return to “OOC Discussion (Surface)”