CLOSED - Remus (that Malarite) ANTI-PVP list and complaints.

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Maecius
Retired Admin

Re: Remus (that Malarite) ANTI-PVP list and complaints.

Unread post by Maecius »

I don't know the full story here, but it sounds like you're getting some negative feedback from the people you're interacting with. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably ask myself "why am I generating complaints?"

If your roleplay is generating complaints it suggests that not all parties are enjoying it. Maybe you need to put a little more effort into ensuring that the roleplay is collaborative, and that people don't feel like it's been sprung by surprise on them apropos of nothing?

Maybe a little more OOC communication would help (explain what you're trying to accomplish and ask if your intended partner -- not victim, not target, but storytelling partner -- is interested), or maybe making your RP out more explicit would help (for example by making it clear that a tactical retreat would be acceptable to you).

Again, I don't know all of the details here. But working with people goes a long way in a collaborative storytelling environment. Maybe this thread will help somewhat in that regard, by making your intentions and desired storyline outcomes clearer.
Sputnik

Unread post by Sputnik »

The PvP rules are quite in favor of any 'victim' on this server.
If you don't feel like fighting, just take any RP out you chose and be on your way.
It's ridiculously easy.

The problem I'm seeing is people not wanting their toons to look like pussies, despite acting as such..
Well, if you run off/don't fight.. that's what you will be seen as most times.
Just the nature of the beast.

Something to keep in mind as well is this little snippet here:
- Certain actions can indicate hostile intent and a valid consent to PvP. This includes casting spells, drawing weapons, resting, or using stealth mode (such as Hide in Plain Sight) during hostilities; or pickpocketing or performing a suspicious action towards another character. To prevent this, do not do these actions at all, or clearly and truthfully indicate that the action is done for non-hostile purposes (such as leaving the area).
Francis 'Frank' Waynn - City Watch Recruit
Tytos Lyonson - Ebon Blade Sergeant
Vaelen - Proprietor of Derringer Mercantile, hedge-wizard, politician
Sputnik

Unread post by Sputnik »

I will add that this Remus has stirred up some rather interesting RP for me and some other players.
DM Mimic even jumped onboard to mix things up.

Keep up the good work, Slunko! :clap:
Francis 'Frank' Waynn - City Watch Recruit
Tytos Lyonson - Ebon Blade Sergeant
Vaelen - Proprietor of Derringer Mercantile, hedge-wizard, politician
Miyuki

Unread post by Miyuki »

I must say, and confess, i haven't read all of this thread. But the way i experienced the PvP around Remus is like this.

Remus comes back, hunts people, just for fun, which is just RP so far and even normal as a Malarite. He sows actions. He reaps reactions. People want him dead and what not. So the What is ok, but the How is a thing i find a bit sad. How this is treated by some players.

It's not the fault of Remus what other players make of it. They push themselves into the center of it, just to get Remus themselves and to have a reason to say: Look how good i am!". That happens without working together or communicating really often. But in my eyes, excluding eachother without any decent RP reason, especially if others had part in that RP first with this, is for me non-rp. At least one should give others -the chance- to play along if they made efforts around something. Otherwise it makes their RP for nothing.

I also confess, i'm actually not a PvP-fanclub member. But if i personally do ever PvP, then i prefer that kind of it, where my toon can use its brains. Not just bluntly killing other toons. I also react in the way it suits my toon. Actually as a Luruean Freya would even have to go against Remus because of what he does and as Malar is Lurue's only real enemy. But the situation in game, people standing on eachothers feet, one trying to get Remus faster than the others, made her think twice. So she chose her own way to go about this. ^^
And neither me nor her is ashamed if she seems like a pussy to some poeple atm. I myself just prefer the term "wannabe hippie". :mrgreen:

I hope it helps to understand me and my RP right. ;)

Just my two cents.
Last edited by Miyuki on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Self-confessed tkl tool denier!

Freya Evans, Lucky Maiden and Bardess on the path of Tymora [Bio] [Journal] - "Luck isn’t only random. The best Luck is what we make for ourselves."
Cenerae

Unread post by Cenerae »

Sputnik wrote:The PvP rules are quite in favor of any 'victim' on this server.
If you don't feel like fighting, just take any RP out you chose and be on your way.
It's ridiculously easy.

The problem I'm seeing is people not wanting their toons to look like pussies, despite acting as such..
Well, if you run off/don't fight.. that's what you will be seen as most times.
Just the nature of the beast.

Something to keep in mind as well is this little snippet here:
- Certain actions can indicate hostile intent and a valid consent to PvP. This includes casting spells, drawing weapons, resting, or using stealth mode (such as Hide in Plain Sight) during hostilities; or pickpocketing or performing a suspicious action towards another character. To prevent this, do not do these actions at all, or clearly and truthfully indicate that the action is done for non-hostile purposes (such as leaving the area).
It's not enough to merely observe the PvP rules imo (although I certainly did not emote anything that could even be remotely construed as consenting to be PvP'd on, if we're going to be rules lawyering - both sides have to observe them, not just the defendant). I don't care if my lowbie paladin gets put on her arse and nearly killed by a crazy Malarite particularly, but if it's to happen, there should be actual RP involved in it, and some sort of communication OOCly of the intent behind the attack. That way both players get something out of the encounter, like any other roleplay session would go.

If he is communicating with some folks (and it sounds like he is), then he needs to keep doing that with everyone else he pegs as a target too. This isn't a PvP MMO server after all, it's supposed to be a roleplaying one. If someone wants to interrupt my monotonous grind session with an offer of putting my paladin in a dire situation, I'd strongly consider allowing it. Or at the very least, I'd get to politely decline and avoid anyone getting rumpled feathers over the situation.
Last edited by Cenerae on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamore

Unread post by Diamore »

I see no specific benefit to engaging in this kind of RP. My characters stories will not progress and their faults and strengths will not be demonstrated by "the worgs prepare to pounce". I have absolutely no chance of successfully defending myself in PVP against another player with my high level characters, let alone with my low level ones.

In such cases the only recourse is to leave, fleeing the encounter and using my own OOC knowledge of spell effects and mechanics to recognise a vastly more powerful player. This negative impression is only heightened by the manner and type of outcomes that can occur from willingly engaging in it. There are only downsides to engaging.

There is no "acceptance of IC actions" or "not wanting to look like pussies" when you have no chance to succeed. When any IC action your character would normally take will result in their death, mutilation or torture without a chance of success, it leaves a very poor taste to the RP around the event.
Ms Mackarty: Humble and unassuming wanderer
Mora Eldris: Talkative.
Sera Lowe: Nervous ex-commoner
Rachel Evermonte: Painfully serious knight
Slunko

Unread post by Slunko »

CONCLUSION OF THIS TOPIC:
Hidden: show
Thank you for the input. I have heard you all and you were very passionate about what you said. The main thing going forward will be that if there is any conflict-oriented roleplay to be had, I'll whisper the person up front and request if I may approach them and present them with what will most likely be harmful to their character.

As a followup note to this, I will be retiring my character from the actively seeking out pvp encounters. I will most likely stop playing as much of Remus the Malarite, because while I understand that I am disrupting the fantasy many of you wish to build around your characters, such changes also disrupt what I wished to play. I will find other reasons on why Remus no longer hunts on the coast and not simply become "that harmless, polite politically correct malarite". Most likely, the character will simply move towards another hunting ground.

To clarify, I am upset over it all, but it is a normal feeling; to be upset over something not going your way. I will move on from it. It isn't me being angry at any specific player, it is mostly not liking what there is to see, once somebody bursts your bubble and shows you how things really are.

In short, while this kind of a RP is very fun to me, the fun parts were getting less common and the general OOC unhappiness on both sides was more frequent. This topic was a useful indicator that I should stop with what I am doing, mostly because, and I'll be honest here, I'm enraged by the world that so many wish to have, and no game should enrage you. The negatives simply started outweighing the positives, so it is a clear point where one should stop trying to push something that isn't working.

Again, thank you all for your input and strongly voiced opinions. You have been most helpful.

Galean, Rock and Gale Enterprises
Goth Dar'gul Eye of Ruin
Remus the Marauding Malarite
Zanniej
Barn manager

Re: CLOSED - Remus (that Malarite) ANTI-PVP list and complai

Unread post by Zanniej »

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to lock this thread as I feel it has ran it's course.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.

Return to “OOC Discussion (Surface)”