A remade BG city - suggestions welcome

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Re: A remade BG city - suggestions welcome

Unread post by Planehopper »

My impression of the BG docks has always been that they were impressive, for all the Gondian innovation and because of the focus on sea trade early on. My only request is to make sure that translates into the docks. It is hard to tell based on the screens but they looks smaller?

And The Wide, it too has always been described as large and bustling. We should ensure it is the biggest/busiest on the server.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Here is the module (just the 4 areas I am working on) for anyone to have a run around in. I'm fairly sure I put down the starter spawn point, but if it doesn't load, open one of the areas in the toolset and throw down a starter spawn point anywhere (red icon up top).
Feedback appreciated. Keep in mind, it is still very scarce. No wandering NPC's, no boundaries )so you can run through pretty much anything) and still missing sounds, lights and VFX's. Also no eastern farmlands, as my old version of that is lost. I'll have to do another. Anyway, it gives you all an idea of where I'm heading in the building process... changes to be done now, if ever.

Positive AND negative feedback welcomed :)

-Link no longer available-

edit: I will already be removing the green rows of trees in the docks district, so that one is TBD (to be done).
Last edited by tfunke on Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Per aspera ad astra
DM Foresight

Unread post by DM Foresight »

So from what I understand, outdoor maps require a lot more of the servers resources, is there anyway we could do a city remake in such a fashion as to free up server resources to be used for future expansions to other area's?
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

tfunke wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:22 pm Here is the module (just the 4 areas I am working on) for anyone to have a run around in. I'm fairly sure I put down the starter spawn point, but if it doesn't load, open one of the areas in the toolset and throw down a starter spawn point anywhere (red icon up top).
Feedback appreciated. Keep in mind, it is still very scarce. No wandering NPC's, no boundaries )so you can run through pretty much anything) and still missing sounds, lights and VFX's. Also no eastern farmlands, as my old version of that is lost. I'll have to do another. Anyway, it gives you all an idea of where I'm heading in the building process... changes to be done now, if ever.

Positive AND negative feedback welcomed :)

https://gofile.io/?c=qqTnKd

edit: I will already be removing the green rows of trees in the docks district, so that one is TBD (to be done).
So, I'm a n00b! I which folder do I put these files? I tried campaign, and modules, cant seem to fire it up.
There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Snarfy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:57 pmSo, I'm a n00b! I which folder do I put these files? I tried campaign, and modules, cant seem to fire it up.
It depends on whether you have GoG or Steam I think. If you put it into your program files folders and it didn't work, try putting it into your mydocs/nwn2/module folder instead. Then boot up the game and go to "new module" or whatever. Should be in the list.
Per aspera ad astra
BDobolina

Unread post by BDobolina »

It doesnt look like there is a MOD file. I am probably clueless, too.
Jackard Marks - Waukeenar Merchant of Tethyr - "The bold find the gold, the careful keep it - and the timid yield it up."
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

BDobolina wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 pm It doesnt look like there is a MOD file. I am probably clueless, too.
It's a directory file not a mod, goes in the same place though. Can't you enter the module in game?
Per aspera ad astra
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

tfunke wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:26 am
BDobolina wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 pm It doesnt look like there is a MOD file. I am probably clueless, too.
It's a directory file not a mod, goes in the same place though. Can't you enter the module in game?
I have the GOG version, have tried putting the folder in both NWN2 module folders(in my documents, and in GOG), running the GOG NWN2 shortcut, and after firing up the game nothing comes up in the new game/module selection, except that old uninvited guests one(comes with the game). I've tried putting the folder in campaigns as well, no dice. I'll keep fiddling around.
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Snarfy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 amI have the GOG version, have tried putting the folder in both NWN2 module folders(in my documents, and in GOG), running the GOG NWN2 shortcut, and after firing up the game nothing comes up in the new game/module selection, except that old uninvited guests one(comes with the game). I've tried putting the folder in campaigns as well, no dice. I'll keep fiddling around.
Hmm that is odd. I've got the steam version, so I'm not sure. It should be working though if you just put the folder in your mydocs/nwn2/modules folder.
Also refer to the post above about putting down a starting location. Perhaps if it is missing one, the module doesn't show in game...
Per aspera ad astra
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Give me 10 minutes, I'll put down a start location and reupload a working version, because I just remembered the toolset doesn't come with the game by default anymore... be right back. (it was missing the spawn point)
Per aspera ad astra
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Sorry everyone!!

Thanks to Snarfy for pointing out, but it turned out that the previous uploaded file was corrupted. Good ol neverwinter nights 2 toolset hehe.

Anyway, new link now and I've tested it (mod files this time). Put it in your mydocs/nwn2/modules folder and you're good to go.
https://gofile.io/?c=Dh2QfK

Bring on that feedback! :D
Per aspera ad astra
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

Works like a charm! I'm in the module now, snooping around :mrgreen:
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

I'm having trouble opening the new module in the editor. Is there something wrong with my toolset?
https://imgur.com/u5iz63H
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

Wow, tfunke... this is amazing!

Favorite things so far, in this order:

- The East gate and Docks waterfront... :drool: so damned cool!
- The entire layout is SOOOOO much closer to the original game than our existing one.
- It's WAY more wide open, and what little clutter there is, is totally manageable.
- The locations of the existing buildings/temples/shops are spot on, in relation to the original game.
- The inclusion of certain taverns and buildings from the original game, that aren't on our PW. :clap:
- The Docks are still quite dodgy/seedy looking(might need a bit more grime/less lamps in certain spots).
- Bye bye, farmlands! Hello incorporation into the East Gate, and a direct route to the GY.

As for dislikes... so far, none! There's obviously some work to be done with some of the missing structures, doors, and walkmesh(you can walk right through certain buildings), but, all in all, I really enjoy this rendition.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

The download works, but isn't being recognized as a RAR file (for my unarchive programs).

???

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.

Return to “Areas”