Re-vamped dungeons.

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Snarfy

Re-vamped dungeons.

Unread post by Snarfy »

First off, let me start by saying: I really like the changes made to Lions Way Gnoll den, and the Sharpteeth Orc caves. While I'm not sure these dungeons needed to be re-done, the face-lifts are a nice switch, and the monsters and puzzles added(at least, in one of them) are enjoyable.

That being said, I'd like to make a few suggestions. I'll put things in spoilers, so that I don't ruin the surprise for anyone who wants to figure it out themselves.

First, the Gnoll lair... ** Spoiler Alert **
Hidden: show
Perhaps the pages for the special item you can create should be made to re-populate a little quicker, so that anyone arriving to the dungeon isn't left wondering what is supposed to be in some of those new containers. Secondly, remove the "destroy-able" aspect of some of the new containers. While I like the idea of dissuading people from bashing stuff open, I do not like that the bashing-container types can leave a trail of shattered containers behind, for an entire reset, for all the characters that arrive after they have smashed everything to pieces.
The Sharpteeth Orc caves...
Hidden: show
Since the re-vamp, I have tried this place about a half-dozen times, with different characters who have different skill investments, to try and figure out the secret doors. I've figured out how to open the side treasure room to the Chiefs room, and the first door on the opposite hallway that requires his head to open. The door behind it, however, continues to elude me. Something the size of an apple? :? Yeah, nope, haven't found anything resembling such, and I've scoured the place. I also found the second key, in the room with the wall murals, but I wasn't able to figure out where to use it. Both of the keys in this dungeon are labeled as Feldpost Inn keys. Might want to change that.
... which brings me to my last suggestion, and it's my main request: Please, pretty please, with gravy on top... make some of these new secret doors and grates pick-able, for those with open lock investment. Not all of the doors, necessarily, just a few, or even half. I'm totally fine with a few doors requiring some sort of special item to open(assuming that special item re-populates within a reasonable amount of time), just not all of them.

Let me tell you, as a player of numerous characters who have invested in specific skills, how anti-climactic it is to explore a dungeon and find that your considerable investments in search, or open-locks, is totally wasted... on all of the secret doors. It's frustrating. Don't get me wrong, on the one hand it's cool to be required to find some sort of special item to open certain secret doors, but when there's absolutely no alternative to opening them, it lessens the fun(especially if you cant find said item, because someone else ran off with it and logged, or whatever).

So, yeah, put an Open Lock DC on a few of these doors. Make it absurdly high, if you want, or, even better, a level appropriate DC to the area. That way, if a character or group is planning to go down into these places, there's more of an incentive to party up, and invite someone good with locks. Truth be told, finding a character with decent open-lock investment will probably be as difficult, or maybe more difficult, than finding these special door-opening items( :lol: ), but at least it gives players options. Also, this kind of thing gives players of characters with certain skill investments something to look forward too...

(... and I should know, since I can safely tell you there is a huge disparity between the difficulty levels of locked items on the server, as in: 96% of things are ridiculously easy to open, 3% are do-able(with items/buffs), while the other 1%(mostly props/doors that lead to nowhere) are nearly impossible. I know of about 5 doors with a DC over 50, everything else is in the 10 - 30 range).
There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...
Druchii

Re: Re-vamped dungeons.

Unread post by Druchii »

There's a door in the shadow plane with dc 80 on the lock I believe.
Character List:

Val'lyn (Teken'ep) - Master of Coin - House Selmiyeritar
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Durlag’s tower also has some high DC but doable with gear locks. Makes my sneak feel loved.
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

There's a few nice DC locks in Ozgoroth, or however it's spelled, and one in Ulgoths too.

Alternatively, special items hidden in frustratingly obscure places could be added to help non open-locks types get through these doors( :mrgreen: ).
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

LazyTrain wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:58 pm Personally I do prefer the idea of having even secret doors have a higher open lock DC. I typically add a few high lock DCs in my areas to give folk a challenge (not that any of my dungeons have been added to the server for my own reasons so far).

So yeah, I'd support the idea of adding higher DC locks to these special secret doors assuming they aren't purely 100% magical in nature. (Maybe add a spellcraft check for those that are?)
I fully support any and all implementations in dungeons that revolve around skill rolls! YES. Gimme. Spellcraft, search, track, whatever. I want it. (Pretty sure most of my skill investments are only ever used in DM events. Blah)

As far as the DC of any locks on any doors, I'm fine with whatever seems reasonable. I just want players who invest in open-locks to feel like they have something to strive towards. At least, something that isn't picking locks on chests while in a party, or solo'ing.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Problem? Solution! When placing 2+ chests in a location, make at least one an Iron Box (chest; can’t be bashed to open).

Give rogues a chance....

:pray:

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Almost everybody has a rogue dip - why make it even more mandatory ??? :naughty:

If anything think of all the useless skills and find new ways to utilize them. ( all the other lore skills, search, STR (Stat)-check, size-check, escape artist, ......)

And what sense makes a locked stonewall at all - and even one that requires an orc chief head to unlock in an orc cave :think:
(an owlbear bone from the unused skeleton could be used here)

It's great to get creative and see new riddles overall. :clap: :dance: But please it really should make some sense in the environment and setting.

Bug in the orc cave: the orc chief spawns without the quest, but doesn't drop the head then.
Xaltotun
Custom Content

Unread post by Xaltotun »

Thanks for taking the time to point these out Snarfy, and I have corrected the script that gave the pages - it was set to DoOnce and not per player. I have also changed the clue for the locked door where it used to talk about "apple" sized. Hopefully it is a little less obtuse. Thanks again for taking the time.

Xal
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

Xaltotun wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:00 pm Thanks for taking the time to point these out Snarfy, and I have corrected the script that gave the pages - it was set to DoOnce and not per player. I have also changed the clue for the locked door where it used to talk about "apple" sized. Hopefully it is a little less obtuse. Thanks again for taking the time.

Xal
And thank you for the revamps :) Despite any issues(and my rogues inability to try to pick any of the new locks, lol), these updates are a welcome change of pace. The puzzles especially. Imho, all dungeons should have one, as they are super fun.

Return to “Areas”