Minor UD improvements

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Tanlaus
Quality Control

Minor UD improvements

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Let me start by saying the updates to Kro’s Labyrinth and Kro’s decent are great. They definitely help fill out the environments and help them feel more alive and interesting.

Along those lines...

A couple of mostly cosmetic suggestions for a few UD areas. Nothing overly important but I thought I’d make a list of things I’ve noticed.

1) The ruins of Oghrann:

There are a few un-usable doors in the exterior ruins. They could lead to small interiors, like a tower or something.

Bone Golems... they use the blade golem model from the NWN2 OC. I’ve noticed necromancers can summon a Skelton type that uses the bone golem model from the Icewind Dale nwn2 remake.

Seems like that might be a more appropriate looking model for a bone golem.

2) The drider wilds and drider wilds descent.,,

From everything I’ve read, though savage, driders still retain their intellect and a semblance of their personalities. I wonder if there might be some RP value in sprucing up the otherwise empty caves they dwell in. I’m not quite sure what the cosmetic changes would be but some sort of props along the lines of the orc caves in terms of creating an environment that portrays the beings that live there.
Rinzler
Recognized Donor

Re: Minor UD improvements

Unread post by Rinzler »

A drider boss would be awesome!
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Rinzler wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:43 pm A drider boss would be awesome!
Oh yeah...why didn’t I think of that?!
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Kro.

As a boss Kro itself “offspring of Lolth,” is pretty terrible. I mean I find the baleful spiders in Kro’s descent a harder fight.

My suggestion would be to up the difficulty of Kro either just to make it the hardest fight down there or make it leaps and bounds harder, like the guardian elemental east of mist lake then adjust the Xperia’s accordingly.

The latter seems workable because, like the elements, Kro’s lair can be bypassed if you don’t feel up to the task.
Thaelis
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Thaelis »

Tanlaus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:08 pm Kro.

As a boss Kro itself “offspring of Lolth,” is pretty terrible. I mean I find the baleful spiders in Kro’s descent a harder fight.

My suggestion would be to up the difficulty of Kro
+1

Kro was a piece of cake last I fought him, easier than 2 spiders or Osquips ganging up (last fought him 4-6 weeks ago though, not sure if he/she's been updated since then).
Thalanis Silverleaf - Moon Elf Woodsman Deceased

Aerendyl Dy'ner - Blacksmith and Explorer
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

I can't say I have ever been to Kros. My impression from talking with other players is there are a bunch of spiders there. As my cleric is a Lolthite that would not be an IC thing for her to do.

There ought to be an alternative for players who cannot for IC reasons go to this dungeon. Just putting that out there.
Eroica Hersbrucker, dungeon scout and hired blade

Helpful references:
Complete arcane spell list.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Xorena wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:50 am I can't say I have ever been to Kros. My impression from talking with other players is there are a bunch of spiders there. As my cleric is a Lolthite that would not be an IC thing for her to do.

There ought to be an alternative for players who cannot for IC reasons go to this dungeon. Just putting that out there.
Upon server split (if / when it happens) there will be plenty of space for any entrepreneurial folks out there that would like to design, build, and script new areas. No promises on timeline of course, but I think everyone agrees that more options are good. What is often in short supply is folks with the skill and desire to follow through on building them (and then dealing with bug fixes etc.)
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Both areas Kro + Descent always felt like a walk in the park ...
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Theodore01 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:10 am Both areas Kro + Descent always felt like a walk in the park ...
I think that depends a little bit on your build and also I think players end up staying there too long, it’s like wyvrens kind of. In both places you can be slightly over leveled but kill them fast enough to still earn decent XP. Problem is there’s just not many more places to go in the UD.

There’s elementals which can be easy for some builds and near impossible for others. Then maybe the ogre cave which is a hike.

After that it’s driders, Duregar compound and Oghrann’s, all of which are a leap in difficulty. Doable but you need a group which can be hard to come by.

And +1 to Xorena. I feel for the Lolthites. Hopefully if/when we get that split it will open up some possibilities.
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

The mutated crawlers in Kro’s seem to be giant carrion crawlers. However they don’t seem to have the paralyze ability of the latter. Maybe adding that back in would up the difficulty of the place a bit.

Those mutated crawlers are kind of the weakest creature in there.
Thaelis
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Thaelis »

Tanlaus wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 pm The mutated crawlers in Kro’s seem to be giant carrion crawlers. However they don’t seem to have the paralyze ability of the latter. Maybe adding that back in would up the difficulty of the place a bit.

Actually for low-AC, no DR characters like me they are the scariest, because they have like 10 attacks :D All depends on your build!

So does anyone know if Kro got a buff? I saw a big area update go in lately but I'm too lazy to go down to the Underdark and check...so far, so dark, so few players.
Thalanis Silverleaf - Moon Elf Woodsman Deceased

Aerendyl Dy'ner - Blacksmith and Explorer
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Thaelis wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:05 am
Tanlaus wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 pm The mutated crawlers in Kro’s seem to be giant carrion crawlers. However they don’t seem to have the paralyze ability of the latter. Maybe adding that back in would up the difficulty of the place a bit.

Actually for low-AC, no DR characters like me they are the scariest, because they have like 10 attacks :D All depends on your build!

So does anyone know if Kro got a buff? I saw a big area update go in lately but I'm too lazy to go down to the Underdark and check...so far, so dark, so few players.
Kro did not get a buff. They added some connecting caves in upper and lower Kro’s. And one of the chests in each moves around a bit.

Return to “Areas”