What kind of dungeons would you enjoy visiting, if there were no rewards? (XP, loot, etc.)

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

gedweyignasia
Custom Content

What kind of dungeons would you enjoy visiting, if there were no rewards? (XP, loot, etc.)

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

If dungeons did not provide any loot, XP, or other gains, what kind of dungeon would you enjoy visiting? Why? Can you describe the sort of adventure you'd like to have and the game systems that would support this?

If you would not visit a dungeon that provides no loot, XP, or other gains, please do not respond to this thread. Any such replies are off-topic.
Domeq

Re: What kind of dungeons would you enjoy visiting, if there were no rewards? (XP, loot, etc.)

Unread post by Domeq »

if that is the case I suppose my character would visit a dungeon if one of their friends is captive in said dungeon
Dragonslayer

Re: What kind of dungeons would you enjoy visiting, if there were no rewards? (XP, loot, etc.)

Unread post by Dragonslayer »

Ulcasters, definitely.
JustAnotherGuy

Unread post by JustAnotherGuy »

Dragonslayer wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:39 am Ulcasters, definitely.
Same here. If there were no loot or other things, it would need to be a puzzle dungeon.
"Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die."
- Rudyard Kipling
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

A dungeon that would require a lot of different skill checks, maybe some stat checks too, tools and to a degree spells to overcome obstacles to progress further into it.

(But not sure I would visit it more than once without any sort of reward.)
whatsittoya

Unread post by whatsittoya »

Yeah I'm seconding the 'puzzle dungeon' answer.
Gemma, Dawnbringer
Sigrid, Bear Warrior
Kamila, Circus Performer
Grimhilda, Sea Witch
Geir, Man-Hunter
Astrid, SorcerICE
Wyatt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Wyatt »

Alrighty folks. What I've done is split the topic as best I can and created a new one to discuss the merits of dungeons without mechanic rewards etc. I hope this will allow both discussions to happen simultaneously and that everyone can be heard on their respective topic without hijacking either one away from the intended discourse. Both discussions certainly have merit and as long as they stay on topic (and civil of course) we should be good.

If there are any issues please use the report function as usual.
*Yellow text means the marshall is in town*

Characters:
The Copper Fox - Scoundrel and Sailor, in that order.
Ol' Ran'll Cobb
Kellan Armstrong - Deacon of Lathander
DM Winter
Head DM

Unread post by DM Winter »

In three words: Well constructed puzzles.

A dungeon that requires puzzles and multiple skills that would ideally be spread across more than 1 char. Those puzzles have to be solvable and well constructed. And, to give longevity, as a dungeon that always has the same puzzle will only be done once or twice, the important ingredient of: randomness.

If its a puzzle dungeon that changes the puzzles every reset or day or week, it will give it longevity.

It's a lot more work, but the absolute only way I see a puzzle, RP-centered dungeon work.
Winter is coming... Or something like that, idk, you get the joke

My Event's Rules & Guidelines
Server Rules / PVP Rules / Narrative & Expectation

The HDM on Desk Duty!
Domeq

Unread post by Domeq »

A dungeon with many one hit kill traps that change place every server reset. Something like the Tomb of Horrors and that once you die you are not allowed back into the dungeon until the next server reset.
Domeq

Unread post by Domeq »

Domeq wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:11 am if that is the case I suppose my character would visit a dungeon if one of their friends is captive in said dungeon
To add more detail.

For example having an usable item at the entrance of the dungeon that allows your PC to become captive in such dungeon, trapping them somewhere and then someone can go there rescue them.

The roleplay investment and opportunities are enough motivation to delve in such dungeon. Adding some puzzles can help too.
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

One that provides interesting combat.

Perhaps this will be somewhat solved with an AI upgrade. But outside of that, facing enemies that have different abilities, perhaps can't be easily split from a group with ranged weapons, would make for a better dungeon experience, one I would enjoy playing through without the need for a reward. In the same vein that sometimes a pvp fight can be fun just because you can't automatically predict what your opponent is going to do every time.
FallingStar

Unread post by FallingStar »

Only if it looked cool. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time on clunky, bad nwn2 mechanics with no incentive.
Justicia ex umbra.
selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

One of decent enough size for RP purpose, no loot, no xp, no mobs. Such a dungeon may hardly be used to be honest, but it would be something handy for Rp for different scenarios. A place some secluded met could take place without spawning mobs to interrupt. A cage/prison in the end of a corridor for a captured friend to rescue or some player base staging event, perhaps an area within this place used as a hideout for fugitives or someone being hunted , given a campsite or two etc. Nothing massively too big but in place for strictly Rp means. Maybe some skill check mechanics to leap over a small stream like a survival check to scope up clean water or like the Cloakwood mines to swing across from a hanging rope etc.
“We drink to get drunk, we get drunk to fall asleep, when we fall asleep, we commit no sin, when we commit no sin, we go to the Heaven's."

Bartender of the Broken Goblet - "What's yer Poison?"

Click to find out what time is it for the Bartender
Dragonslayer

Unread post by Dragonslayer »

gedweyignasia wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:51 am If dungeons did not provide any loot, XP, or other gains, what kind of dungeon would you enjoy visiting? Why? Can you describe the sort of adventure you'd like to have and the game systems that would support this?

If you would not visit a dungeon that provides no loot, XP, or other gains, please do not respond to this thread. Any such replies are off-topic.
Also, I'd just like to say in addition to puzzle dungeons, I'd really like to see the dungeon design be based on ongoing or completed plots within the server. I'd be more likely to visit a dungeon that has some meaning to my character, such as a plot that he took part in, than a random dungeon that he has no roleplay connection to.

And if we're being honest, if there are no mechanical incentives to visiting a dungeon, there needs to be roleplay incentives. This would be one.
The Whistler

Unread post by The Whistler »

Not enjoy per se, but I would consider visiting a tough dungeon for bragging rights.
Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.

Return to “Areas”