Rust Monster

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Rust Monster

Unread post by Flatted Fifth »

Just traded my Paladin/FS of Helm's 400,000 gold flaming bastard sword for 6 xp thanks to a rust monster in the center of the deep sewers beneath Baldur's Gate ( mainly my own stupidity thinking "Nah, it can't be like a PnP rust monster, not here"). Might I suggest that equipment - destroying monsters not be a thing here? I think they're ok on servers where the best items are crafted/enchanted and not stuff it takes a long time to get and/or are rare nearly irreplaceable loot table drops.

Thanks so much for your time.

Full humourous screenshot here
Last edited by Flatted Fifth on Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitunenotsume

Re: Rust Monster

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

I'ld be interested to see a "Rusted" curse that could be applied to metal items (and could work as a core for spells like Rusting Grasp)
The SRD spell lists a 1d6 AC penalty to armor, and perhaps could have a similar penalty to damage for weapons, and some AB loss.

Flat out destroying items, however - I would agree is clearly not within the expected scope of the server (given that other sources like Disjoin Magic clearly requires player consent)
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
DM Winter
Head DM

Unread post by DM Winter »

agree with all that kit said above, and like the Rusted suggestion
Winter is coming... Or something like that, idk, you get the joke

My Event's Rules & Guidelines
Server Rules / PVP Rules / Narrative & Expectation

The HDM on Desk Duty!
Hullack
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Hullack »

Aren't rust monsters only supposed to effect nonmagical metals?
Jak Dimburrow : House Vale (Character Biography/Journal)
Playtimes: 7:30 PM - 11:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) / UTC/GMT -5
Items Wanted and Offered in Exchange
DM Winter
Head DM

Unread post by DM Winter »

Hullack wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:43 pm Aren't rust monsters only supposed to effect nonmagical metals?
on 5e, magical items are immune

on 3.5 (what nwn2 is based on), they are not immune and the PC must make a reflex save
Winter is coming... Or something like that, idk, you get the joke

My Event's Rules & Guidelines
Server Rules / PVP Rules / Narrative & Expectation

The HDM on Desk Duty!
Bobthehero

Unread post by Bobthehero »

Worst mob to have even been designed in the history of ever. I am all for either their removal or removing their ability to destroy gear.
Aurelien Amon: Human fighter, member of the Whitewood Vanguard, Hoarite

Lotrik: Not a wise Genasi, probably stronger than you tho, a master of longswords. Fully retired

Bob Thairo: Dreadknight of Bane, Back on the Coast, tyranning away with his wife
whatsittoya

Unread post by whatsittoya »

Rust monsters are one of the things I point to in D&D that would qualify as what Josh Strife Hayes describes as a 'quit moment'.
Gemma, Dawnbringer
Sigrid, Bear Warrior
Kamila, Circus Performer
Grimhilda, Sea Witch
Geir, Man-Hunter
Astrid, SorcerICE
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Thanks all for backing me up on this. I'm going to go ask Kalaheer about the warranty. :P

I also like the "rusted" suggestion. Maybe it could be a temp enhancement penalty for weapons that is removed by using the forge wand sold at Thunderhammer Smithy with a successful craft weapon skill check while standing at a forge? Since we don't actually have crafting, though and therefore almost no one has any points in it, the DC would have to be low.

Actually, There could be TWO ways to remove the rusted penalty: As above, OR through multiple castings of the Remove Curse spell. Each casting of the Remove Curse Spell targeting a rusted weapon rolls a d20. When the sum total of rolls made this way equals 50 then the "rusted" enhancement penalty is removed. That way you don't have to have crafting on a craftless server to get rid of it, but you can't get rid of it with just one casting in the middle of combat, either.

// prepares to start selling Remove Curse wands >:)

Anyway, a monster that temporarily hampers your stuff in a way that cannot be resolved immediately is cool. A monster that outright destroys your stuff.... significantly less cool.

It could also affect metal armors and shields when it hits you in addition to your weapon when you hit it. Cloth, leather, wood, leaf-stuff, mithril, alchemical silver, and adamantine should all be immune since they contain no iron. Unless we want the "rust" to be entropic decay rather than actual rust, then anything is game.
Blame The Rogue

Unread post by Blame The Rogue »

as some items are truly irreplaceable, rust monsters outright destroying an item is not a good idea

there's no reason we cant include "some" 5e mechanics/lore on bg, as we already include "some" 2e mechanics/lore here. just make magical/enchanted items immune
"Before you die, you should know why you lived."
Kitunenotsume

Flatted Fifth wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 am I also like the "rusted" suggestion. Maybe it could be a temp enhancement penalty for weapons that is removed by using the forge wand sold at Thunderhammer Smithy with a successful craft weapon skill check while standing at a forge? Since we don't actually have crafting, though and therefore almost no one has any points in it, the DC would have to be low.

Actually, There could be TWO ways to remove the rusted penalty: As above, OR through multiple castings of the Remove Curse spell. Each casting of the Remove Curse Spell targeting a rusted weapon rolls a d20. When the sum total of rolls made this way equals 50 then the "rusted" enhancement penalty is removed. That way you don't have to have crafting on a craftless server to get rid of it, but you can't get rid of it with just one casting in the middle of combat, either.

// prepares to start selling Remove Curse wands >:)

Anyway, a monster that temporarily hampers your stuff in a way that cannot be resolved immediately is cool. A monster that outright destroys your stuff.... significantly less cool.

It could also affect metal armors and shields when it hits you in addition to your weapon when you hit it. Cloth, leather, wood, leaf-stuff, mithril, alchemical silver, and adamantine should all be immune since they contain no iron. Unless we want the "rust" to be entropic decay rather than actual rust, then anything is game.
A couple things to 'unpack' from your post:
1) The Wand of Crafting, Forge System is literally just a wand that anyone can use to target the Forge system workbenches. They cast flare, but any spell targeted on the workbench will trigger them - mostly for making potions out of monster parts with an alchemy check. The crafting wand has nothing to do with a metalworking Forge, and gets its name from the semi-implemented Forge Crafting System.

2) It has been stated that Professions are going in on the upcoming patch, in preparation for a crafting implementation at a later date. Use of Craft (Metalwork) would be a valid consideration, but would likely only be a consideration once those new profession and craft skills are hooked up (likely after the PvE/Encounter update).

3) If Remove Curse were used to remove it, it should either be a single casting (as with any cursed item currently), or a Caster Level Check (As alluded in the SRD spell description). Having a stacking counter to remove an effect is very unintuitive and needlessly complicates the mechanic. Spending a round countering a penalty per item is already a fairly heavy active combat cost, even with 100% success rate.

4) Having it affect metals would be more consistent with other mechanics (such as druid armor choices) and spell/ability definitions. The SRD uses the term "Corrodes" at various points, and states of Rust Monsters that:
It prefers ferrous metals (steel or iron) over precious metals (such as gold or silver) but will devour the latter if given the opportunity.
[. . .]
A metal weapon that deals damage to a rust monster corrodes immediately. Wooden, stone, and other nonmetallic weapons are unaffected.
So it is evident that they affect metals without specificity, including things like silver and gold (which can and do tarnish - a form of rusting). Adamantine, Mithral, and Alchemical Silver have no stated resistance to rusting.

5) Remove Curse wands would probably already be an appreciated market. Goodness knows people seem more inclined to abandon it in a dungeon rather than get money for their cursed stuff. :D
Still willing to buy! Link in signature!
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

I am planning on an alternative item damage system, which would be used for rust monsters and Sunder actions. This was meant for the combat patch, but had to be delayed until after the patch due to the amount of work needing done. The new system will simply make a destroyed item unequippable until repaired, rather than deleting it.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Rhifox wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:38 am I am planning on an alternative item damage system, which would be used for rust monsters and Sunder actions. This was meant for the combat patch, but had to be delayed until after the patch due to the amount of work needing done. The new system will simply make a destroyed item unequippable until repaired, rather than deleting it.

I like this
Blame The Rogue

Unread post by Blame The Rogue »

rust monsters provisionally, maybe, because they are rust monsters, if the item isnt magical, and if remove curse fixes it. but damaging items from other sources, i am not a fan. that is a mechanic that i have never liked in pnp or mmos. in pnp it's feasible, with constant dm oversight, and if everyone at the table agrees to it. but in realtime, not a good addition imo. non-casters have a challenging time making a profit adventuring currently, please dont add more money sinks, and please reconsider any mechanics that may cause the loss of irreplaceable items
"Before you die, you should know why you lived."
Kitunenotsume

Rhifox wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:38 am I am planning on an alternative item damage system, which would be used for rust monsters and Sunder actions. This was meant for the combat patch, but had to be delayed until after the patch due to the amount of work needing done. The new system will simply make a destroyed item unequippable until repaired, rather than deleting it.
This sounds neat. I'm looking forwards to it.
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Would a rust monster affect alchemical silver weapons? What about Mithril? I ask because as you know real life rust only affects metals that contain iron, like steel, and I don't know what "alchemical silver" is. Is it some kind of silver/iron alloy made possible through alchemy? Or is it silver hardened some other way?

Just thinking that if rust monsters cant affect mithril then mithril weapons would become worth having on your character as a spare, especially for dex builds. There are no wooden weapon finesse weapons.

Return to “Areas”