Coming Soon: Epic Spell and Magic Updates

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Re: Coming Soon: Epic Spell and Magic Updates

Unread post by Rhifox »

dolorof wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:10 pm
mrm3ntalist wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:44 pm Also with spells such as vampiric feast that now will "obey death immunity" have you considered increasing its number of uses? It sounds like it will be a glorified Wail of the Banshee
Might instead consider giving proper Epic Spell slots like pnp, so you get a number of epic slots that you can choose to use for any of the epic spells you have access to. Instead of each one being balanced separately around multiple uses.
I like this idea a lot. Is it something reasonable to implement?
Yup. And will probably be doing it. Just figuring out the best way to handle it.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Rhifox wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:27 pmWe will consider allowing 100% RCRs for this. No promises though.
That is good, because the epic spells are no longer epic. They are not worth an epic feat at all.
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
renshouj
Custom Content

Unread post by renshouj »

mrm3ntalist wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:56 pm
Rhifox wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:27 pmWe will consider allowing 100% RCRs for this. No promises though.
That is good, because the epic spells are no longer epic. They are not worth an epic feat at all.
I don't understand what you mean here? Literally all of them got overall buffed, but VF and Husk were the only ones that also took a hit. Wdym????

In fact, I'm very very happy with the epic mass heal, and might even take it on my healer!
Discord: jojoelm
Brazilian Timezone (GMT-3)

Current Character(s):
Runa Helvig - High Druid of Eldath of the Green Enclave ( BIO | JOURNAL )
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

renshouj wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:24 pm
I don't understand what you mean here? Literally all of them got overall buffed, but VF and Husk were the only ones that also took a hit. Wdym????

In fact, I'm very very happy with the epic mass heal, and might even take it on my healer!
Obviously you must be using the "Epic Spells" to great effect, so you must know what you are talking about. Maybe you are right...

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

renshouj
Custom Content

Unread post by renshouj »

Hidden: show
mrm3ntalist wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:22 pm

Obviously you must be using the "Epic Spells" to great effect, so you know what you are talking about. Maybe you are right...
I just don't understand your comment. You spoke as if Epic Spells took a hit and "Are no longer worth an epic feat" when... they all literally got buffed? All of them got better DC for dedicated casters, many got more dmg, some extra functionalities. VF and Husk now are countered perhaps too easily, sure, but it just sounds like you're tunnel visioning on them while still just saying something that is plain wrong.

These are cool changes, and I appreciate the consideration for epic spell slots
Discord: jojoelm
Brazilian Timezone (GMT-3)

Current Character(s):
Runa Helvig - High Druid of Eldath of the Green Enclave ( BIO | JOURNAL )
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

You are absolutely 100% correct. I hope you get to enjoy them

Rhifox

Unread post by Rhifox »

Obviously you must be using the "Epic Spells" to great effect, so you must know what you are talking about. Maybe you are right...
New Hellball is statistically stronger than pnp hellball. Greater Ruin is stronger than pnp Greater Ruin. Even the nerfed Vampiric Feast is still stronger than the base effects of the pnp Slay seed. Damnation is weaker than the pnp version still even after its buff, but I wanted to start carefully first (the pnp version has a +15 to its DC, rather than +5). Likewise, Epic Mass Heal could maybe do with its pnp incarnation where it heals all damage (instead of just 300).

You can certainly say you don't consider them strong anymore, but they're closer to actual epic spellcasting now than they were before. Though, unlike in epic spellcasting, it's all the perks, with none of the negatives (like knowledge skill requirements, and near-100 DC Spellcraft rolls every time you cast it, and so on). The only flaw is needing a separate feat for each.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

I already said you both are correct. Obviously you found ways to use the epic spells. I just need to git gud

mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Btw since spells are made with pnp in mind, what is the health pool of mobs in your pnp campaigns and what happens to them when for example a hellball is thrown at them?

Asking for a friend because on bg, “epic” spells with super duper 50d6 damage - for which you spent an epic feat to get - are good to only scratch mobs where it itches. Forget about bosses with silly immunities and dr, sky high saves and thousands of hp.

Rhifox

Unread post by Rhifox »

mrm3ntalist wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:14 pm Btw since spells are made with pnp in mind, what is the health pool of mobs in your pnp campaigns and what happens to them when for example a hellball is thrown at them?
This is why they have increased damage over the pnp versions. Other damage spells were upgraded due to BG's health pools, so it's been a long time coming for Hellball and Epic Call Lightning to get similar bumps. Now, damage spells are certainly quite poor for our content, no one's denying that.

That being said, a pve rework is absolutely needed and being worked on.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

I understand that and I know that you know what’s up. But a small d6 damage bump does absolutely nothing against the hp of the mobs which is very disproportionate when compared to pnp. Lets be honest here. The only epic spell was vampiric feast and not because the save-or-die effect, but because it combined a lot of damage with a healing effect.

Hellball could be somewhat epic if other than the damage which will always be negligible like every other blasting spell, there was a long duration stun to go along with it or something similar. This could allow for different gameplay options such as casting and going away if overwhelmed or doing extra damage because of the stun if in party with other members

MrSmith
Recognized Donor

Unread post by MrSmith »

renshouj wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:26 pm
Hidden: show

Obviously you must be using the "Epic Spells" to great effect, so you know what you are talking about. Maybe you are right...
I just don't understand your comment. You spoke as if Epic Spells took a hit and "Are no longer worth an epic feat" when... they all literally got buffed? All of them got better DC for dedicated casters, many got more dmg, some extra functionalities. VF and Husk now are countered perhaps too easily, sure, but it just sounds like you're tunnel visioning on them while still just saying something that is plain wrong.

These are cool changes, and I appreciate the consideration for epic spell slots
Some builds are not pure casters and as such these changes impact them... But, as you stated... "For Dedicated Casters" these changes are a great buff.

Cheers!
Ouroboros

Unread post by Ouroboros »

"...in the next patch Mielikki will allow metal armor (as she allows her druids to wear metal armor in lore). All other druid deities do not allow metal armor."

Have any of the druids been able to inform Mielikki that the flow of her divine radiance has been disrupted by metal, even mithril, down on the physical plane?
Wyatt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Wyatt »

Heh. We haven't had that patch yet. "Soon". :P
*Yellow text means the marshall is in town*

Characters:
The Copper Fox - Scoundrel and Sailor, in that order.
Ol' Ran'll Cobb
Kellan Armstrong - Deacon of Lathander
Grendunor

Unread post by Grendunor »

-- Life Ward: Life Ward is a level 4 cleric/favored soul spell that protects a target against positive energy. While this has the obvious effect of protecting undead from heal spells, Life Ward also has an offensive use. Any creature under the effect of Life Ward is immune to all positive energy, including friendly healing spells. If Life Ward is cast against an enemy, that enemy gets a Will save to negate the effect.

Should be included on the breach list along with it's partner Deathward and Mass Deathward. Might we See a mass Lifeward for increase DC and AoE disable effect?
Oleander Stonehearth - Reluctant Hero
Layla Zaisis - The Lost Priestess
Ilinoril Spiritmoon - Emotional Support Elf
- And a cavalcade of retired characters

"EATSIES!!!" - The Troll-sage 2018

Return to “Coming Soon”