NEXT UPDATE: Spellfocus Conjuration

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

dedude
Retired Staff

Re: NEXT UPDATE: Spellfocus Conjuration

Unread post by dedude »

Just because Thaumaturge specializes in summons, doesn't mean they have monopoly on conjuration. They have their own very unique abilities that enhance their summons. Abilities that are definitely stronger than +1 HD.
Nachti
Retired Staff

Unread post by Nachti »

The wiki has been updated with summons.

Slaads and the Marut will be available with the update.
Aeb Ankor

Unread post by Aeb Ankor »

How is this questionable homebrew nerf good for the server???

1) It took Dev time...

2) I complicates the process to make and test a viable build.

3) This absolutely changes the scaling and performance of the summons from the current levels, since each base summon is lower HD vs the level of foes faced at the relevant gained spell level.

4) It benefits mainly those specialized and maximized characters for players that have more than common knowledge of the custom server rules and build limits... the testing teams alts?

5) It nerfs the majority of casters that might occasionally use summons... the rest of us?

This is a change that doesn't serve the population here... it serves someone's personal idea of a powerbuild.

Don't do this. Please find a better way.

mrm3ntalist wrote:
Planehopper wrote:Love to hear the many reasons.

More "this is how it is" from the top is not helping things.
Many as in everything that wouldnt allow for something to be implemented, apply here.

1. Dev time
2. There is already a good synergy between the Thaumaturge PRC and the prereq feats.
3. The scaling of the summons and where the get their bonuses from, is something we are happy with. Not looking into changing it.
"It is a good bet that I like your character, more than I like you... keep it IC and close to lore and we might stay friends."

"I hate snowflakes and butterflies, die die die!'

#OrcLivesMatter
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Aeb Ankor wrote:How is this questionable homebrew nerf good for the server???

1) It took Dev time...

2) I complicates the process to make and test a viable build.

3) This absolutely changes the scaling and performance of the summons from the current levels, since each base summon is lower HD vs the level of foes faced at the relevant gained spell level.

4) It benefits mainly those specialized and maximized characters for players that have more than common knowledge of the custom server rules and build limits... the testing teams alts?

5) It nerfs the majority of casters that might occasionally use summons... the rest of us?

This is a change that doesn't serve the population here... it serves someone's personal idea of a powerbuild.

Don't do this. Please find a better way.

mrm3ntalist wrote:
Planehopper wrote:Love to hear the many reasons.

More "this is how it is" from the top is not helping things.
Many as in everything that wouldnt allow for something to be implemented, apply here.

1. Dev time
2. There is already a good synergy between the Thaumaturge PRC and the prereq feats.
3. The scaling of the summons and where the get their bonuses from, is something we are happy with. Not looking into changing it.
Why is it a nerf? Do you remember the summons stats before they were changed in the last update? ( not this one, the one before )
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Aeb Ankor

It doesn't matter what the current or past summons stats are...

It is a nerf since it reduces the ability of the MAJORITY of ALL casters, of all types.

It then only boosts a hand picked specialized few builds that will all be made after a %100 RCR and never need to face a foe in battle on the first level after they could finally use that neat new summon IV spell to save their party from death.... Only to find that new reduced HD summon is a wet paper cut out when facing a real foe of the level that spell is gained in natural progression.

This is a change focused on end game RCR characters

Edit:

A level 1 or 5 character using a -2HD summons how does that work?
"It is a good bet that I like your character, more than I like you... keep it IC and close to lore and we might stay friends."

#OrcLivesMatter
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Just to clear things up. There is no intention to screw anyone here.There were never 18hd summons and more importantly in such variety and bonuses. The summons were being worked on since last years big update. They were worked on to be more efficient, have a big variety of summons for all alignments, occupy the proper summon slot and fix any bugs with them ( like when they get stack on transitions ).

Among others Rasael, BlackmanD, Nachti and Dedude, created a summoning system more complete and efficient than ever before. This last change that some call "nerf" was made so that such strong summons werent given freely. Spell focus compliment them nicely. Even without the spell focus the summons are stronger and more efficient than before.

If you knew how summons worked in the past and compared them to what they are now your post would be null and void. I would suggest, in order to avoid a discussion about supposed nerfs and reduced abilities, to use the time of this update and find how much better the summons are.
It doesn't matter what the current or past summons stats are...

It is a nerf since it reduces the ability of the MAJORITY of ALL casters, of all types.

It then only boosts a hand picked specialized few builds that will all be made after a %100 RCR and never need to face a foe in battle on the first level after they could finally use that neat new summon IV spell to save their party from death.... Only to find that new reduced HD summon is a wet paper cut out when facing a real foe of the level that spell is gained in natural progression.

This is a change focused on end game RCR characters
Last edited by mrm3ntalist on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Aeb Ankor

Edit:

How well does it work?

#OrcLivesMatter
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Aeb Ankor wrote:Edit:

How well does it work?
Obviously you got something very wrong, because what you just typed makes absolutely no sense. Again read the post above yours and take the time to understand how the summons work. If you have any questions please ask, many will answer. Till you undersand what is going on, lets avoid discussions about nerfs etc.

Edit: this should help - http://bgtscc.wikia.com/wiki/Summoning I believe after reading this, most will understand what is going on and instead of talking about nerfs etc, we will all thank rasael, blackmand, NAchti and dedude for all the work the did with summons.

Aeb Ankor

From the custom summoning page:

All summons have been adjusted to following:

Summon Creature I: 2 HD Beast

Summon Creature I Wolf

Spell level : Innate level: 1, Bard: 1, Cleric: 1, Druid: 1, Ranger: 1, Sorcerer/Wizard: 1
School : Conjuration

What is this spell with -2HD ability?

Summon a pup or fox?
Last edited by Aeb Ankor on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#OrcLivesMatter
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Aeb Ankor wrote:Summon Creature I Wolf

Spell level : Innate level: 1, Bard: 1, Cleric: 1, Druid: 1, Ranger: 1, Sorcerer/Wizard: 1
School : Conjuration

What is this spell with -2HD ability?

Summon a pup or fox?
That spell would get you a 2 HD creature
Summon Creature I: 2 HD Beast
+1 if spell focus conjuration another +1 with greater and another +2 with epic spell focus. Again, everything is here - http://bgtscc.wikia.com/wiki/Summoning

Aeb Ankor

So that page is already updated?

and before this -2 HD summon change a level 1 wizard called a 4 HD summon?

#OrcLivesMatter
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Aeb Ankor wrote:So that page is already updated?

and before this -2 HD summon change a level 1 wizard called a 4 HD summon?
No. I dont think it did. Most likely it was weaker than the new one or the same. The -2hd happened on the planar binding line of spells mostly. We made them too strong ( 18hd or something ). Instead of giving 18hd to everyone, we decided to only give such strong summons to the casters with some investment in.

To compare this is the vanilla planar binding, greater spell. The stronger summon there was 12HD!!! Now we are talking about 16+HD summons.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Planar_Binding%2C_Greater

Nachti
Retired Staff

Unread post by Nachti »

People overvalue this summon change.

The creatures called have far more to offer then "HD" might suggest. Damage reduction, hitpoints, AC, weapons, spells and all these things havent been touched negatively.

They now just hit a little worser and have less saves.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

In my previous experience it was AC that was pretty horrible, even buffed. Did the AC get adjusted at all?

Can't wait to try out all the new summons soon!
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Hawke

Unread post by Hawke »

I read the wiki (Also, first sentence on page... choice should be changed to Choose.
), and it seems there are "other" features being incorporated with summoning.

Such as True Name (new feat? )

This could make things a bit more interesting when it comes to these summoning spells being viable in the epic levels.

I can also see there was a bell curve where summons didn't get weaker until about midway up, then capped at 18HD with Gate. Which means Greater Plan Binding (which should be at least 16HD based in my opinion to match with Summon Creature XIII as they are the same level spell.

So True naming would bring GPB to 17 HD baseline.

Now speaking of the HD increases. I like it. It gives purpose and a little extra oomph to those who want to specialize in a summon class.

What I can't see agreeing with is why Red Wizards getting a +1 HD for focusing in Conjuration.

Why not just make it for any wizard specializing in conjuration and call it a day? I can't see how it will make anything OP, but another 10ish HP and possible +1 AB (maybe) might make it worth sacrificing a conjuration specialization vs necromancy or even divination (new spells folks).

On another note.. .does True Neutral have the ability to summon ANY alignment restricted planar summons? Or would you only be having true neutral beings to summon? Just saying...

Looks like a lot of hard work went into this. And it looks pretty in depth. Thank you.

Last word on Thaumaturge... it is OK for what it does. Even a 5 level PRC. All it really gives is extended summons (which most buffs fade out anyways extended) and saves you using a higher spell level.. where it shines is casting level 9 summon spells, but that is about it. Augment summon can be had for the same number of feats. I think going 5 levels of Thaum should be included in the calculation for HD, even if it is only +1 HD at level 5. Just my two coppers.

But again, you guys did awesome with this. I look forward to anymore tweaking that comes into this.

+1

Return to “Archive”