NEXT UPDATE: Polymorph and Shapechange Overhaul 1.1

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Nachti
Retired Staff

NEXT UPDATE: Polymorph and Shapechange Overhaul 1.1

Unread post by Nachti »

Design Philosophy

School of Transmutation:
Of all schools the school of transmutation has propably the most roleplay potential - through shapeshifting you can alter almost any player-player or player-dm interaction into a way that wouldnt have been possible.

Your friend has been kidnapped by a band of goblins? Transform into an goblin and infiltrate a goblin cave.
You want to raid a caravan, hide yourself and blame the local orcs? Transform your group into orcs and go on.

Polymorph
First, Polymorph has been designed with the "roleplay spirit" in mind. Most of the new forms are capable of speech and thus allow the player to interrogate with other players in a friendly manner.
Second, Polymorph has also been rebalanced to be actually useful in combat. The goal: "polymorph shapes should be viable, but not be stronger than an EK build in natural form."

Shapechange:
Shapechange focuses mainly on combat. The spell has gone through a few mechanical changes to make sure it becomes a viable level 9th "combat pick" but not be overpowered with certain class/spell combos.

Mechanical Changes:
  • Monk AC is disabled during wildshape, polymorph and shapechange.
  • Natural AC from Palemaster, Frostmage and Dragon Disciple is disabled during polymorph and shapechange.
  • Summons and Dominate Monster will not work during Shapechange.
  • Cohorts, Familiars or Animal companions dont require concentration and thus still work.
  • 100% spell failure is added to polymorph effects, preventing exploiting.
  • Spellslot loss should be fixed.
  • Shapechange duration continues to be 1 min/level.
  • BAB during shapechange continues to work like it is now.
  • A new feat has been added that raises caster's BAB to medium during polymorph/shapechange.
  • Weapon enchantments carries over to creatures who use weapons.
  • Similiar to Conjuration, Transmutation focus grant +1/+2/+4/+1 AC to all forms.
  • Damage Reduction derived from Shapechange now works.
Creature stats have been balanced.

New Forms:

Polymorph:
  • Kobold
  • Goblin
  • Gnoll
  • Orc
  • Troglodyte
  • Minotaur
  • Troll
  • Ogre
  • Yeti (S only)
  • Gargoyle
  • Gloura
  • Drider
  • Kenku (S only)
  • Human
  • Elf
  • Dwarf
  • Drow
  • Duergar
  • Sahuagin
  • Hook Horror (UD only)
  • Worg
Shapechange:
  • Hill Giant (S only)
  • Fire Giant
  • Frost Giant (S only)
  • Maur (UD only)
  • Werwolf Lord
  • Mind Flayer
  • Clay Golem
  • Red Dragon
  • Black Dragon
  • Blue Dragon
  • Bronze Dragon
  • Mist Dragon
  • Nightwalker
  • Skeleton
  • Zombie
  • Hydra
  • Planetar
  • Moon Dog
  • Arboreal Fey
  • Marut
  • Slaad
  • Erinye
  • Cornugon
  • Palrethee
  • Hezrou
  • Bebilith
Augment Form
Type of Feat: General
Prerequisite: Spellfocus Transmutation.
Specifics: The character becomes skilled with spells and abilities that allow him to assume another form. For the duration, the character’s base attack bonus becomes medium (unless its already higher) but cannot exceed the character’s HD.
Affected Spells and Abilities: Polymorph, Tenser’s Transformation, Shapechange, Spider Shape, Spider Form and Shifter’s Forms.
Last edited by Nachti on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nachti
Retired Staff

Re: NEXT UPDATE: Polymorph and Shapechange Overhaul 1.0

Unread post by Nachti »

Weapons
Orginally I had planned to allow characters to continue their weapons in polymorphed forms but that wasnt possible. So I made choices with different weapons.
Last edited by Nachti on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemni
Custom Content

Unread post by Nemni »

I love the fact that these spells are being expanded :clap: But are their new stats really good enough to justify this significant duration nerf? Could you post the stats too please?
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

I'd like to ask about two things:

1. Natural Spell feat~
Will this be applicable for Druids casting Shapechange? If not, is the argument against it because Shapechange is a spell from the Weave and thus NOT natural? Are the Druids spells, in general, not a natural?

Because, there is this:
...in actuality, druids received their power directly from their patron deities, they often thought of this power as coming through nature. Only deities with a direct tie to nature could provide spell power to druids.
2. Unarmed Feat line~
Will Focus/Specialization/Master Unarmed be applicable to shapes from Shapechange, as they are applicable to shapes from Wild Shape?

Cheers.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

could human and elf be added to the poly line?
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
spyvsspy

Unread post by spyvsspy »

Is it possible to use creature's special ability while polymorphed? ie: Mind Flayer - Mind Blast
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Last edited by mrm3ntalist on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Lyna

Unread post by Lyna »

Nemni wrote:I love the fact that these spells are being expanded :clap: But are their new stats really good enough to justify this significant duration nerf? Could you post the stats too please?
Between the spell focus change and weapon effects carrying over your looking at a increase of 9 AB, 4 AC and 5 damage with just GMW. That alone i think would be enough to warrant the duration decrease.
Lyna Fryar ~ Sun Soul Monk.
Beladra Gemflower ~ Out of arrows? Nope! That orcs my quiver! #OrcLivesDon'tMatter
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Will this functionality be added to the Disguise/Disguise Other line of spells as well? Would prove an amazing boon to Disguise RP if so!
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

This change to shapechange looks like an attempt to make the spell viable to mage builds that previously had low AB. If they study a bunch of these spells and rest a lot they can solo grind a bit better now. Previously I found this spell was useless to my pureish mage as his ab was so low.

It is a of a nurf to my druid who could grind fairly well in devil form. He is hard kill in this form but his ab and damage as a devil was just so so. The buffs fix that a bit. But no more grinding with this spell. But I may still keep one handy so he can hulk out once in awhile.

Duration nurf is too harsh though. ÷10!?
For a lvl 30 that's 30 rds instead of 300.
For on thing, with all these new shapes it does not give any time to rp in them.
Please keep an open mind about increasing duration again in the future. I betcha 2 or 3 rounds per level would end up being more balanced.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Tekill wrote:
Hidden: show
This change to shapechange looks like an attempt to make the spell viable to mage builds that previously had low AB. If they study a bunch of these spells and rest a lot they can solo grind a bit better now. Previously I found this spell was useless to my pureish mage as his ab was so low.

It is a of a nurf to my druid who could grind fairly well in devil form. He is hard kill in this form but his ab and damage as a devil was just so so. The buffs fix that a bit. But no more grinding with this spell. But I may still keep one handy so he can hulk out once in awhile.

Duration nurf is too harsh though. ÷10!?
For a lvl 30 that's 30 rds instead of 300.
For on thing, with all these new shapes it does not give any time to rp in them.
Please keep an open mind about increasing duration again in the future. I betcha 2 or 3 rounds per level would end up being more balanced.
Responding to Tekill's assumptions, BAB will still matter, here. Sure, one can spend 3 Feats for +4 AB and +4 AC, top that off with GMW, and you'll do much better as a low AB mage. But if you put together a BAB 22 build, you'll still hit better than the typical 17 AB mage...plus these Focus Feats, and you are doing very well in the Shapechange form. But what you won't do is much good at anything else, I imagine. But I'm open to being proved wrong, is someone wants to post a build or stasts that say otherwise!!! :twisted:

If these changes don't effect already existing builds made to utilize Shapechange, then great ...everything besides the Duration change, I'm guessing...but we don't know the new stats yet for the Shapes.

But what some of these changes do is, in order to become a "master" of Shapechange/Tenser's, is dictating the taking in your build of either Archmage 8 or Hierophatn 8. 3 minutes of Shapechange is very short...VERY short. Imagine utilizing Shapechange in a DM Event! lol.

Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Currently, my character vault does have a "Sorcerer 7/Fighter 3/Eldritch Knight 10/Arcane Scholar 10" with high base constitution to open up the Fast Healing feats for that total of +6 points of regeneration. Will there be any change to how these Fast Healing feats work with the Shapechange Overhaul? Just bringing it up because a Fast Healing sorcerer is kind of a build only someone like me would come up with... and I would not want to go through an RCR. :lol:

As for the reduction of duration, I have previously used Polymorph/Shapechange together with spells such as Death Armor and Elemental Shield, which has meant that I have had to shed the shape in order to rebuff with those two spells. But I have also teamed up with other people, which has removed the need to recast those two spells for damage output and the long duration is actually a good thing to have. Now, I have not seen the stats of these new shapes - but based on the current status quo the shapechange spells already have duration of 1 to 2 round per caster level - and I am not sure if the duration reduction is truly needed here.

Anyhow, got to go.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Sun Wukong

And well, a long time ago I did have a Spirit Shaman/Hospitaler, caster level 30 and BAB of 25. Thus the following bit does raise a question:
Weapon enchantments carry over to creatures who use weapons.
Does this mean that Flame Weapon, Storm Avatar, and possibly Storm Lord/Silverstar abilities pass over to the new form if it has a weapon, if there is a correct weapon type in case for the PRC abilitiess? Spear for Stormlords, for example.

And again, re-applying some of these spells will eat away your 'shapechange/polymorph slots.'
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Something I forgot to mention: all the new Shapes made to use are AWESOME! Very cool, Nachti, and thank you for your time!

Cause especially:
Hook Horror
Yeah boyee!!!

Sun Wukong

But where is the Night Walker from shapechange? :shock:
- Elminster, probably.

Return to “Archive”