Gold Piles in TitanFist Mine can't tell dif chars apart

Items currently acknowledged by staff for fixing/further staff discussion (Only staff should put threads here to avoid confusion)

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Gold Piles in TitanFist Mine can't tell dif chars apart

Unread post by Flatted Fifth »

Get the message "You have already had your fortune here recently" when any character clicks them if any OTHER char has been there recently. I have 3 chars that can access the area. None had been there in a few days. One went today, then the others get the aforementioned message.

Edit: Same thing in Blackrock
Moridin
Custom Content

Re: Gold Piles in TitanFist Mine can't tell dif chars apart

Unread post by Moridin »

This would not be unique to any map on the server really. Just loot another place and give it time. Not for a few days though, and it is the same script that is everywhere else.
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Moridin wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:48 am This would not be unique to any map on the server really. Just loot another place and give it time. Not for a few days though, and it is the same script that is everywhere else.
To test whether it was everywhere or not I ALSO went to Kros. Gold piles there working fine even though the same other char had been there as well in the same few minutes.
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

To clarify: One character went from Kros to Blackrock to Titanfist. Two other characters of mine could then not loot the gold piles in Titanfist or Blackrock, though Kros was working fine. This did not affect chests or skeletons, just gold piles.
Moridin
Custom Content

Unread post by Moridin »

Flatted Fifth wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:06 am
Moridin wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:48 am This would not be unique to any map on the server really. Just loot another place and give it time. Not for a few days though, and it is the same script that is everywhere else.
To test whether it was everywhere or not I ALSO went to Kros. Gold piles there working fine even though the same other char had been there as well in the same few minutes.
I don't know what I could tell you or even do. They are all running off of the same script. I just finished double checking all the gold piles in Kro's as well.
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

Looking from code of gold piles script, they are actually per CD key, not per PC. I'm not sure why it was made like this, but from script, it looks like it was done on purpose as it specifically checks for CDkey (and such checks would be missing in case it wasn't the intention).
So, what you got pretty much was intended behavior rather than a bug. If you feel it's wrong approach in general, please reply so i could launch staff discussion about it.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

EasternCheesE wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:44 am Looking from code of gold piles script, they are actually per CD key, not per PC. I'm not sure why it was made like this, but from script, it looks like it was done on purpose as it specifically checks for CDkey (and such checks would be missing in case it wasn't the intention).
So, what you got pretty much was intended behavior rather than a bug. If you feel it's wrong approach in general, please reply so i could launch staff discussion about it.
It's inconsistent, at any rate. IIRC, loot nodes have PC-specific cooldowns (though it's been a long time since I've had occasion to test that, and I haven't checked the scripts). Gold piles are considerably less rewarding than your average loot node (at most, if you've outleveled the map enough to downgrade all chests to the 30-50gp tier, then a gold pile is like an extra chest... but otherwise it's a lot worse than a chest), so I'd probably lean towards adjusting them to be in line with loot nodes rather than the other way around.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

DaloLorn wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:38 am
EasternCheesE wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:44 am Looking from code of gold piles script, they are actually per CD key, not per PC. I'm not sure why it was made like this, but from script, it looks like it was done on purpose as it specifically checks for CDkey (and such checks would be missing in case it wasn't the intention).
It's inconsistent, at any rate. IIRC, loot nodes have PC-specific cooldowns (though it's been a long time since I've had occasion to test that, and I haven't checked the scripts). Gold piles are considerably less rewarding than your average loot node (at most, if you've outleveled the map enough to downgrade all chests to the 30-50gp tier, then a gold pile is like an extra chest... but otherwise it's a lot worse than a chest), so I'd probably lean towards adjusting them to be in line with loot nodes rather than the other way around.
Sure, but it was done on purpose by someone and simply single-handedly revising it in terms of changing player income without a discussion would be just the wrong approach in general, even if it's obviously inconsistent with loot. Not all the gold piles give small gold, you know. Many of them are super easily accessible for low-level PCs who could come and farm like 5k gold in a short run, switch over other toon, 5k more, rinse and repeat with 0 risks. Sure, it's a minor thing given the inflation of economy, but it's not a thing to just change willy-nilly as well.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

There's piles giving more than 100gp out there (... outside of maybe epic boss rooms)? I've been missing out! :lol:

(It's a fair point, either way! It's still not the sort of thing you want to unilaterally change, and I can't think of a lot of benign reasons for people to run through the same map on several alts in short succession...)
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

I have not seen the code for the piles but I can definitely say skills effect how much you can get. One of my characters hardly ever gets more than 40gp per pile. Another never gets less than 100.

Also the piles are set to CD key to prevent an exploit.
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Tanlaus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:01 pm I have not seen the code for the piles but I can definitely say skills effect how much you can get. One of my characters hardly ever gets more than 40gp per pile. Another never gets less than 100.

Also the piles are set to CD key to prevent an exploit.
Yeah, there are some skills actually affecting it, so it's totally correct.
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

I would suggest making the gold piles in very, very low level areas per cd key and all the rest be like the chests. And change the "already looted" server message to reflect that difference.

So the graveyard and sewers in Balduurs gate and the crypts and darkwood in S'shamath be per cd key, and change the server message for already looted to "Low level area gold piles can only be looted once per player every X minutes" where X is what you want to set the timer to.

The rest make like the loot chests , ie, per character, and keep the message the same. I don't consider Titanfist to be a low lvl area. It can be dangerous to a level 10 if it's not an uber power build.

My $0.02
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Flatted Fifth wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:56 pm I would suggest making the gold piles in very, very low level areas per cd key and all the rest be like the chests. And change the "already looted" server message to reflect that difference.

So the graveyard and sewers in Balduurs gate and the crypts and darkwood in S'shamath be per cd key, and change the server message for already looted to "Low level area gold piles can only be looted once per player every X minutes" where X is what you want to set the timer to.

The rest make like the loot chests , ie, per character, and keep the message the same. I don't consider Titanfist to be a low lvl area. It can be dangerous to a level 10 if it's not an uber power build.

My $0.02
The issue of not having it by CD key is an exploit to allow for endless gold. Regardless of level.
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Tanlaus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 pm
Flatted Fifth wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:56 pm I would suggest making the gold piles in very, very low level areas per cd key and all the rest be like the chests. And change the "already looted" server message to reflect that difference.

My $0.02
The issue of not having it by CD key is an exploit to allow for endless gold. Regardless of level.
I want to make sure I understand. If each character had to wait several hours between looting gold piles but more than one character owned by one player could do it, that = endless gold? But the chests being that way is ok? What's the difference? Especially since chests offer way more gold when you count sale price of random loot.

This makes zero sense. The inconsistency is pure nonsense. What if Ogranns was changed to by CD key, then? What if you could only loot Ograns with one char per day, Tanlaus? The level of risk for a lvl 30 at Oggrans is the same as the level of risk for a lvl 10 at Titanfist. Death is death. The amount of coin and rarity of items found should be the only difference.

EDIT: Actualy, change that. A level 10 at Titanfist faces more risk than a lvl 30 at Ograns because the lvl 10 could loose xp if they die.

12 gold piles in Titanfist and Blackrock combined, each seem to give from 25 - 80 gold, that's a total combined average of 630 for all of them together. Half the sale price of one random loot object. So that being per character per 6 hours just like everything else = endless gold?
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Flatted Fifth wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:05 pm
Tanlaus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 pm

My $0.02
I want to make sure I understand. If each character had to wait several hours between looting gold piles but more than one character owned by one player could do it, that = endless gold? But the chests being that way is ok? What's the difference? Especially since chests offer way more gold when you count sale price of random loot.

This makes zero sense. The inconsistency is pure nonsense. What if Ogranns was changed to by CD key, then? What if you could only loot Ograns with one char per day, Tanlaus? The level of risk for a lvl 30 at Oggrans is the same as the level of risk for a lvl 10 at Titanfist. Death is death. The amount of coin and rarity of items found should be the only difference.

EDIT: Actualy, change that. A level 10 at Titanfist faces more risk than a lvl 30 at Ograns because the lvl 10 could loose xp if they die.
No, I’m saying there is an exploit that would allow a character to just stand there hitting that same gold pile over and over and pull endless gold out of it. Like a single character not having to move or change maps or anything. The change to CD key was to prevent that from happening.

It’s also something that does not happen with chests because they are handled differently by the engine. So it’s not an issue there. Just gold piles specifically.

Return to “Currently Under Review”